Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two Lane Blacktop rare photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopy junkie, Dec 10, 2008.

1. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

2. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That last pic is too cool.

Frederic John Maturo likes this.
  4. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Man! This thread keeps getting better and better! Thanks for all the history!

Frederic John Maturo likes this.
  5. PxTx

PxTx
    from PA

Did anyone taking pics make notes on what ol JT commented on? It is a little disappointing to see things like the green fan and correct throttle linkage ignored on the restoration. I know it can be very difficult to resist the urge to improve on things during a restoration, unfortunately this car suffers from that.

6. JohnnyGMachine

JohnnyGMachine
    from Georgia

Hey is it me or do the sun visors and the headliner in the GTO look tan??!!! It's a black interior car but the headliner looks tan. Here's PART 3 on You Tube. Check out the headliner at about 4:05 minutes and on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQlHF6Z9PZc&feature=related

Also might be able to see it here in PART 8 at about 5:09 minutes. You can see black seatbelts contrasting against a tan headliner???
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP70luNi8fI&feature=related

I think the License plate reads 610 APO

J

7. jokerjason

jokerjason

Man....killer posts!!!! JOKER JASON.

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Whoa!!!
    I remember that GTO......I left AK in '90.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes that 5 minutes was pretty funny and the 15 minutes of car details and street race erotica.The rest of the movie was ,well,painful to watch,just nothing. I don't get it :confused:

10. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks to all who posted here - great stuff, guys!
    Last weekend, I was on the set of a local film production here - a continuation of TLB, complete with '55 clone car (built at a buddy's shop). James Taylor was playing in town that night, but was a no-show on the set - same as Wilson and Oates... Oh well.

11. Hahahaa! Too funny.

12. man this was awesome ,guys - thanks for taking the time for all the posts and added updates !!!!

13. scrape

scrape

maybe he didnt want one of those fiberglass fans coming apart and going through the glass frontend.....
    also when the curent owner got the car it had a camaro clip the org harders were missing(he had ruth reaxle the car and build correct headers).... he also tracked down the org. glass doors for the car...
    so its pretty easy for me to look past the fanblade and carb likage...

14. I didn't read this whole thread.
    In fact, I didn't read any of it, I just looked at pictures. (I may never get used to the huge threads around here these days)
    Anyhow, I don't know if this has been covered or not but there's a pretty decent, I dunno, replica (I have no idea what the story is with this car & don't want to assume anything) out of Maine.
    Spotted at a local car show over Labor Day weekend...where it was impossible to get far enough away to take a decent picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If nothing else, I'd have to say its at least, heavily influenced.

15. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

Painful to watch?...dont get it?...Bite your tongue man!!

16. lorodz

lorodz

i love this thread i think i re -red it 20 times and everytime i read it i love the movie and the story of the cars more and more ..thanks for all the great info

17. Jangleguy The new 55 was looking good in grants pass. wasnt chris working on that ride ?

18. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

I just watched the latest box set release of TLB on DVD,it had in the "extra" section a commentary by Rudy Wurlitzer the guy who rewrote the screenplay that was used.He had some interesting observations,I'll paraphrase:

"The road causes you to reinvent yourself"

In comparision to Jack Keroack's "On the Road":
    Keroacks time-trancendence
    TLB-no trancendence

"On the Road"-redemption/deliverance from the road
    TLB-no redemption,no end no beginning

"On the Road sold you the romance of the road
    TLB-sells you no romance or the myth of freedom[like Easy Rider],theirs no climax,no resolve,its like a dream you have at night-no beginning and no ending

TLB is totally in the present moment

Road movies and westerns are always in the persuit of the horizon
    the horizon is always the promise of what lies beyond,horizon is everything not in the rear view mirror,horizon is the unknown

TLB-no strategy of conquest

The 55-a pure machine,uncomfortable,minimum,no heat,no paint,its a pure machine built for the pure experience

There was alot more,but thats all I can remember at the moment....and no I didnt just finish smoking a joint...maybe the commentators did though??

19. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Holy Smokes! I remember seeing a GTO just like that, with Alaska plates, on the Bangor sub base here in Washington just recently. It must belong to someone who works or is stationed there. It looks like an older restoration starting to deteriorate around the edges. Might be the same car.

20. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

That is my buddy Joe`s car, he is out of Brockton Ma. I sold him the car as a shell, missing floors and 1/2 a quarter about 5-6 yrs ago. I don`t know why he runs the Maine plates. He goes to many local events, was at the Alter Boy`s a couple weeks ago, but without the car. Real nice guy, didn`t build it as a clone or anything, just evolved to look similar, but to his tastes.

21. Found a photo of the TLB GTO on a 1974 episode of Kojack:
    season 2, episode 3
    note the dent in quarter panel above the bumper

[​IMG]

rkona likes this.
  22. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

guess where this is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry to say this place was turned into a subdivision a couple of years ago. this is the strip in lakeland before the axe fell. check out this site http://lakelandraceway.com/

23. wvenfield

wvenfield

what a way to ruin a good thread.

24. Man, as usual I miss threads.
    I tend to post & never check back.

Your friend has good taste.
    I'd love to see more cars like this running around Brockton & that area again.

25. gearwood

gearwood

Hi,

My dad ran a Man-A-Fre BBC intake back in the mid 70’s. He got it from a guy in Santa Fe NM where he lived @ the time, this guy owned the 31 Chevy. The guy he purchased it from his car was featured in the movie Two-Lane Blacktop (1971). I found the car my dad ran back then, it was a 1962 tempest. After all this time my dad cannot remember what type of carburetors where on it, they are now missing however I still have the Man-A-Fre intake and heads. So my question is what was the typical type installed. Also the engine was a 427 block if I remember correctly.

http://www.gosantafe.com/manafre/

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

cool car,
    the bbc Man-A-Fre I had used the big Rochester 2GC carbs like found on the mid sixties Pontiacs

27. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

Very cool intake and love the look of the Tempest.
    The guy in SF still has the 427 sitting in his shop. I wish he would put it all back together like the movie, but I don't think he understands the value in it.

28. tinmann

tinmann

Nine pages of amazing information and pictures, but I still have one nagging question....... how did James Taylor ever get the role in the film? Seems totally out of character.

29. tstclr

tstclr

That was a great movie! What I always thought was funny is how the GTO still had that annoying "key in the ignition" buzzer that you can hear everytime the door was opened. Most owners yanked that damn buzzer out about 30 seconds after buying the car!