Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bellhousing for 55-57 chev.. RHD??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bondoboy, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

I got this Bellhousing from my dad who has had it for at least 30 years. I noticed something odd about it when I got it home, anyone know if the clutch fork hole being on the right will cause a linkage issue??? lol..... is this worth anything to anybody? I would imagine its hard to find if your doing a stick conversion on a right hand drive 57 chevy...
    [​IMG]

2. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

its for an early 60's chevy truck with hydraulic slave cylinder

i have one just like it

3. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

ok cool thats why I asked! Thanks for the info.. Is it scrap?

4. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

i wouldnt scrap it,you'll never know when you'll need something like that

5. F&J

F&J

NO! You wana get banned :)

a hamber was just looking for one a week or so ago, but he said he found one on that thread....

.. save it for the next guy with space problems

EDIT; you should look at the rear mount holes. They are not the same as passenger 55/57. trucks used a different rubber mount.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  6. squirrel

squirrel

60-62 chevy truck with V8, neat part to have laying around...

7. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

Ok well I wont scrap it but I sure don't need it. Maybe ill post it for sale or just sit and look at it whilst drinking like everything else I own hahah...

8. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

EDIT; you should look at the rear mount holes. They are not the same as passenger 55/57. trucks used a different rubber mount.[/QUOTE]

I`m pretty sure the lower 2 trans mount bolts, where the trans bolts to the belhousing, aren`t threaded like they are on the Tri 5`s. They are also a larger thread size.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A lot of people think the cast iron bellhousings with side mounts are ALL for tri-five passenger cars. But yes, as others have said, early 60's truck with hydraulic slave cylinder. Just a quick FYI, tri-five passenger car, V-8, bellhousings are "flat" across the bottom; trucks have the angled "notch" across the bottom. The notch makes it easy to I.D. at just a glance. Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. squirrel

squirrel

also the trucks use one 1/2" bolt on each mounting ear, the cars use two smaller bolts per ear.

11. That was me. I am using a Lucky's Speed Shop improved version of the Ansen style hanging pedals in my Model A. This set up uses the early 60s Chevy truck dual master cylinder with separate outputs for breaks and hydraulic clutch. Using the stock Chevy truck bellhousing and slave cylinder makes for a much easier and more authentic installation.

I did buy a bellhousing from a fellow HAMBer. Hang on to it. Someone here will need it. Or post it in the classifieds.

12. F&J

F&J

Just a side note on years besides just the 60 to 62. I have been told that GM used that bell and slave cyl earlier than 1960 on bigger trucks.

I have a 59 348 with those parts that came from a 59 big truck.