Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Collecting Projects Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutbush, Sep 26, 2010.

1. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

I was wondering if I am in the minority on this one. I am currently building a '39 Ford std coupe. But I when I run across something I like, like another project, that I cant live without, and its a good deal, I buy it. I am not weathy, so this money I spend on another project is money that could go into finishing one or the other. I love old harley's too and am always looking for deals. I cant stop!

This topic also connects with the city coming down on non-running vehicles. But I just put them in storage, out of site.

I used to build models, like we all do/have, and part of the enjoyment for me was collecting the kits. I have like 45-50 kits in my stash. But I swear my hot rod jones is turning into the same thing! Ahhhh...the love of vintage steel...

2. studemisfit

studemisfit

ive been the same way for 15 years(i started at 14 but most shit was/is not hamb friendly) my friends think im a little nuts but admit i have some cool shit. i hope not to change.

3. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

i collect projects. i got three cars now , my 55 fairlane my wife made me buy it because it was a drivable running car. i have the first one i ever bought but still yet to finish a 53 f100 , had it about 25 years now. then i got a 48 ford 2 door sedan i brought it home in pieces thats whay my wife made me buy one complete . and i still look for more all the time .

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

yeah Im the same way, I have 6 cars right now and Im always searching for "deals". 4 of the 6 are actual projects of some degree, 1 is a daily driver and 1 is a parts car for one of those projects.

5. brandon

brandon

i dream of the day , of having just one project....:rolleyes: currently have 5 in the unfinished state. 1 is lacking probably a good month from being on the road....1 is lacking a shortblock from being back on the track , 1 is lacking a little frame time on the rack and about a grand for a few parts. the other 2 are still in the parts gathering state. i have built cars around parts that i bought .....then found a car to build around the wheels or part....:eek: built a anglia gasser around a pair of spindle mounts , and didn't even use the spindle mounts on the car. :D

6. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

It's a sickness! I have two now and an addition I'll be dragging home next week.

7. screwball

screwball

I have a few but none are really worth doing any thing with missing parts but maybe one day the parts will show up. Most were free so no $ involved I have more patients then $$. I will grab anything I can if I can. I have also been known to give projects away if I like the person.

8. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yes! I can't post a picture of my back yard, I'm afraid some a$$h@le codes inspector will see it and get in touch with the county office here!
    Had another dropped off yesterday. Guy said he couldn't keep it, couldn't even have me store it for him. It had to get out of his hands, so either it was getting cut up or I could have it.:D
    Do I need another rolling race car? No, but it ain't going to get chopped up either. early 60s Dart.

9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

for the moment i am resisting, due to regulations in my town on having to keep them inside if not licensed and running. there i a 40 Pontiac that i hope sells soon so i don't wind up renting a place to put it.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe it is an addiction that most of us on here have. In my case I have three personal projects going right now. The 48, the boat tail roadster and the 8 BA flathead and T-5 that don't actually have a car to go with them yet. Plans for that include a 32 style frame and 28/9 A sedan body but things may change if a different body comes up.
    I also have one and maybe two GM AD trucks that will be built for resale to finance the others. All of that should keep me busy until the kids ship me off to the old farts home.

11. indyjps

indyjps

built a building just for that purpose, I have to be realistic on how much time I can actually devote to new projects. my building is unfortunately 2 hours away from my house. OT car that Im doing now is getting disassembled and brought to my home in chunks for work, winter is coming so the available working space at home is shrinking.
    69 Camaro, 63 Impala, 10 sbc's, 3 bbc's, 2 built th350's, 1 T56. looking for a good rod project that i can afford and continue stockpiling interesting parts as they come along.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My wife put a stop to it, told me I have to finish at least ONE of my 4 cars before I acquire anything else, and if I am honest with myself, it is probably a good thing.

13. trmel3

trmel3
    from new jersey

i have to many also.. 53 chevy truck,30 model A coupe,16 stude phaeton.i still yern for more although i will prob not finish what i have started on for a while . the money what kills me i have none

14. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Fast forward 20 years. Your that guy who hoards projects and intends to restore them and won't sell them, even on your death bed. Then your family, who could care less of your lifes work of collecting either A, scrap everything. Or B, sell it real cheap for scrap. I call it project A.D.D. :)

15. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

By keeping them out of circulation,you help drive up the price of other cars.
    Like he said,so many times they just detiorate away.

I always tell people "to thine ownself, be true".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    62 Corvette w/ 57,000 miles.Now big leaf bag.

16. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

At least I'm not alone. Close to driving the 48 F-1, better get back to the wifes 30 sedan, 61 Ranchero has been sitting too long, 63 Futura is in primer & dust. The 48 Anglia is getting a lot older, oh ya, the 34 got rear ended in August & is waiting to get into the shop. better put the bike back together also. Then there is the stuff sitting on my friends farm.

17. jesse1980

jesse1980

i have had 19 projects in the last 2 years, i always have anywhere from 2 to 3 at a time. i get them because they are a good deal and then pass the deal onto my friends. i have 3 garages with cars and parts now, iam trying to get rid of some stuff so i can pack them back up with different stuff and projects. just love the hunt and closing the deal. great hobby ya know, better than sitting in the local pub or gettin in trouble, although i still find time for the pub once in a while. im glad there are still alot of us out there that do this, i would rather save stuff than let it go to the scrapper too, that kills me when i see go old american steel get put to its end. instead of government wasting their time and money on taking our cars we work hard for to buy and build, they should be getting all the people on welfare us working folks are paying for and make them get jobs and if they dont then they dont get aid, that would boost the economy back up in a hurry. sorry i just get pissed when i think about the way things are run around here, but good luck hunting and projects keep me going too.

18. hurst

hurst

I have the same problem. My wife said that my shop area looks like sanford and son's.1T modelC Cab truck 1 53 mercury 1 52 ford 1 T bucket on a 37 frame 3 running Flatheads and 1 airplane. Crap pot load of model A T parts. O yes 1 model A ford High Boy. Current project

19. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'd love to have an asston of project cars laying around. My lack of room and money prevents me from doing that, if I'm honest, so I'm forced to keep working on the one custom I have. Left to my own devices I'd have shelved it and started on something else long ago.

My shop mate had around 15 cars/trucks/wagons/towtrucks until he sold some, then towed the rest off to storage or somewhere. Never saw him touch any of those cars but if it made him happy to own them, hey why not.

20. screwball

screwball

Im not a hoarder and yes I do share with my friends selling cheap is O.K. with me.

21. caper150

caper150

I was told I wasn't allowed to buy anymore cars.:rolleyes:

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you didn't have extra projects, were would you find one to sell to find the funds to buy another?

23. Are these hubcaps for sale? I need them.

[​IMG]

24. movingviolation

movingviolation

Since early iron is very hard to find here........you have no choice but to collect every thing and anything that may be of use some day... i have a Rpu in the build stages and the opportunity to buy a 28 tudor body came along! The salt belt claims these old cars around here so when a nice western body finds its way to the island....its a no brainer!

25. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I have been collecting parts for a couple projects. My 27 T coupe and I also collect stuff from vintage dragsters. Lately I have been thinking screw it and combine the two and make my T into a drag coupe.

26. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

For me its like, if I dont buy this, I wont ever find another one this good. Then it's, maybe I'll find one better. I can always sell it if I find one better right? Then all of a sudden I have 4 car builds, 3 bikes, and several storage garages chocked full with monthy payments. Oh well....better than sitting on my arse watching tv.

27. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

You know ALL of my friends should comment on this post.Thay all have way to many projects taking up space.I keep telling them ,'' just pick one and finish it''. Been saying it for 10 years now. They don't listen. But,there enjoying life.

28. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I currently have two on the go...the Essex and a '26 T Touring. I have indoor storage for the T while it waits its turn to be built. I have had to pass up a number of other deals due to a lack of space and $$. I can get a really nice '53 Chevy sedan delivery if I want it for a decent price, but I may never get around to building it. :(

29. Ghost28

Ghost28

I have 4 at this time, all projects. I had to put all but the one I started with, out of my sight and under cover. otherwise I cant concentrate on the project at hand. It seems to be working cuz I am getting a lot done on my initial project.
    Aww hell the others will get there turn, they can wait. but I do hear them calling me. :eek:

30. gtkane

gtkane

I only have one project on the go, but still buy up old iron when it's too good to pass up. I don't keep them, though...sell them at a low price so someone gets a good deal, and I make a few bucks in the process.
    The down side is, with all this horse trading, I don't have much time for the project car...sold 17 HAMB-friendly cars this year, and am getting another 8 in the next week!