Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 chevy truck frame swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DG Racing, Sep 26, 2010.

1. DG Racing

DG Racing

Is it possible to swap the frame on a 1957 Chevy truck

i whant to use a chevy 1984 3500 frame

2. studebaker46

studebaker46

my opinion is why would you want to do.an aftermarket crossmember with upDATED MUST11 components your frame fits your truck / tom

3. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Boy thats traditional. Why don't you just find a fake set of tits and play with them.

4. crapshoot

crapshoot

what's wrong with the factory frame from 57? they make a shit ton of upgrades for that truck ya know.

5. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

If he`s looking to swap to a 1 ton frame he may be making a tow vehicle.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Anything's possible. Easy, or smart, that's another question.

The 57 frame is pretty much flat from front to back, while the later frames like the 84 drop quite a bit in the middle, and they pinch in and go up at the front. So you'd have to do some work to get the cab to fit, make the radiator and bumper fit, etc. Also the newer trucks are a bit wider, so it would not be easy to get the front wheels to tuck up in the fenders if you want to lower it.

I have a 57 single wheel one ton I'm planning on leaving it mostly stock, but swapping the rear springs and rearend to mid 80s 3/4 ton chevy stuff. But I'm weird like that.

7. DG Racing

DG Racing

yes its to do a tow truck i have the complete truck but the body is finish,so i whant to buy a 57 truck so i can put the body on my frame .

but if somebody already done it i will like to know and see the finish product.

thanks

8. buds56

buds56

I put a 56 on a 79 shortbed frame a couple years ago. It worked out pretty good for a low buck project.
    here's a link to some pics of it, http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/11721969

i put the 56 frame mounts on the 79 frame ( the frame widths are within 1/2" of each other)
    and made spacers for the front cab mounts. The rad support was a pain as thats where the steering box is.
    It was alot of work, i learned alot and pretty low buck. Hope this helps. Bud

9. DG Racing

DG Racing

Thanks buds56 for your pictures

and its funny yesterday i say one with a 1985 c/10 frame but yes the front tires are very clost to be out of the fenders .

SO is there somebody that put one on a Dakota frame ?????

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      273.1 KB
      Views: