Register now to get rid of these ads!

'39 Wide 5 bolt pattern and the 9N Tractor same?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 81ttopcoupe, Oct 8, 2005.

1. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

Do 39 Ford Wide 5 wheels and 9N Ford tractor front wheels have the same bolt circle?
    Crazy idea. 19"x3" fronts,:D but I cant find anything that tells if the bolt pattern is the same.

2. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

3. krooser

krooser

4. dixiedog

dixiedog

My only question is are they welded true since they are low speed wheels?

I like the looks of them also - clean and neat

5. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

I figured out that they were the same years ago when I saw 2N's and 9N's with 16" on the front....

wheel bearings are the same too on the Fords and also Fergusons...

pistons in the flathead 4 bangers are the same as in the V8's...but the rods are heavier in the tractors...

Starters for the 9, 2, and 8 N's are the same as the V8 60's too....and a Ford alternator for a Model A fits on the tractors too..I put one on my 48 8N...beats the 10 amps and it charges all day long generator with 30 amps of power..run it a few minutes and it''s all charged up...

Hope my 2 cents worth enlightened someone today..

6. Magnus B

Magnus B

Hello

Just bringing this old thread up. This thought struck me a couple of days ago when i saw a pic of an 9N. I was going to ask here but then I made a little research by myself. Then I made a search here and saw that someone already thought about this.

Are they really the same bolt pattern? From what I have found the car has 10 1/4" and the tractor have 10 1/2". Also it seems like those running car wheels on the tractors have changed to car hubs.

Has anyone made a test fit?

If one could use those discs and a widen the rim on them or even put on 20" rims they would look really cool in the rear of a lakester. But in that case a more era correct solution maybe would be to put larger rims on the rim of an smaller wheel. Like the streamliner i think was called "Lady Bug" where he put 20" rims on 18" spoked Ford wheels. Look really neat, but maybe not the best to go out and set speed records with. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Magnus

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

But if the wheel bearings are the same, couldn't you switch to tractor hubs for passenger car use? Obviously, balancing might be an issue, but it's mechanically possible, correct?

What kinda brakes did the tractors use? Did they have wheel brakes or just a transmission setting?

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Those would look killer on the Beater up front. But I also would question the strength of them at highway speeds. I run 16 in. wide 5s up front.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Rear wheel brakes only.

Frank

10. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

This is still on my list of things to try. I don't know 100% if it will work. I want big and littles, I think this would be cool to have 19x3 fronts and 16x? cheater slicks on the rear

There are no brakes on the front of the tractor, so there is no drum for brakes. Just the hub and lugs. Someone on the HAMB was working on a disk brake set up that could be hidden behind such a setup.

11. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

didnt' read all the posts...

grandpa has mixed and matched ford rims on his N series tractors......some, he take the v8 hub, bearing and all, and put the it all on the tractor spindle...says bearings are the

12. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Even though they aren't approved for Highway use, doesn't mean they are shit.
    Tractor shit is usually WAY overbuilt for anything onroad so thats a plus. As for the Ag wheels. Buy one, put it on a balancing machine minus tire and test it. I will lay money that it is equally out of balance as any over the counter on highway wheel. The difference comes down to the testing, if its being sold AG only, no testing, equals cheaper.
    I personally want to see a set of these on the back of something soon with a cool cap mod'd to fit. And about 3 inches parted off the back side.http://www.farmwheel.com/centerpivot.htm

13. ::side note::

i have a couple sets of wide 5 ford drums on ebay right now if anyone is interested.

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I was just looking at a Model T with 19-inch wire wheels the other day, and wondering if anyone ever determined if the tractor rim and the passenger car rim will physically interchange.

-Dave

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. smithy1

smithy1

so, I saw this thread and remembered that the banjo is literally up against the front end of the 9n (early 2n actually) and decided to try the swap....

NOPE!!!

different bolt circle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So much for that idea.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Smithy1, thanks for that. It's often tough to prove a negative, and your photos do it with outstanding clarity.

Too bad, too, as the 19-inch wheel is even cooler looking than I realized.

-Dave

20. 117harv

117harv

Those tractor wishbones would be cool on a vintage ride...with lightening holes of course.

21. Zombo

Zombo
    1. oHIo

22. smithy1

smithy1

But, I have seen adapters to use the wide-5 car wheels on "normal" bolt circles.... so it would be just as easy to make the adapter for the 9N wheels.

And yes, the 9N I-beam wishbones are real trick. I am using them on the '33.