Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is your car fast?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69fury, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Mine is, for a 56.;)

Both of mine are fast, when compared to average street cars.
    [​IMG]
    One for a cam/headers thumping cruise and the other for comfortable cruise and better mileage.:D While still being able to make some quick squirts to 150 plus mph.:p
    Now for me, my fast ride was my NHRA record holding Altered, way back in 77. Then I could say I was really fast, as in fastest in my class.:cool:
    [​IMG]

For those who may say BS on that, have a peek.
    [​IMG]
    And just for the record "Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?":rolleyes:

2. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

i quit looking at the speedo @ 70mph

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

My truck is fast. Had it to about 65 once or twice.

4. ironpile

ironpile

Yeah, fast asleep.

5. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

I like that one.:D

6. If you read his posts, the Falcon is a car in progress. His posts are a lot of "it's gonna do this and that", not "it runs XXX et @ XXX mph". :rolleyes:

If I had a nickle for every guy that is GOING to be fast, I would own Microsoft.

7. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

fast? hell im fucking excited if the damn thing runs.

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

The other day I was doin' just a tad over 80 mph in my old '47 Ford truck. That seemed fast at the time - of course I was pullin' my dragster trailer and it was raining pretty hard - then there was that vacuum wiper making things seem even faster!!
    I guess it's all relative.

I definitely respect the comment made earlier about the fella building everything himself - I have way more respect for those guys than those writing the big checks...

9. I don't even have a speedometer to see how fast I am.

10. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

11. Abomb

Abomb

My car will out run 50% of the cars on the HAMB......cause it has four wheels and it runs. :D

12. samurai mike

samurai mike

a lumpy cam and enough horsepower to smoke the tires is good enough for me.

13. beatnik

beatnik

Wow, it's easy to talk shit when you don't have anything that runs, come back and talk shit after you have done something.

14. If my "in progress" hotrod will get into the 11s I'll be deleriously happy! If it wont' go faster than 12s? Still super happy....it's those sloooooooooow 16s that are embarassing for a hotrod.
    I'll expect mid 13s with it.

15. 69fury

69fury

Actually that's a 4 year old quote from David Freiburger of Peterson publishing,- compare the difficulty/expense/civility of 500hp now to 500HP in 1965.

the 69Fury i had was high 12s and won a lot of races but I would NEVER dream of calling it fast- there are WAY too many 9 and 10 second cars ready to bust my ass each night out. That's why i'm putting that same powertrain (with improvements) into a gasser chassis.

Evidently the BIG PEOPLE build 450HP NA engines and not much more- If you want to get disrespectful -fine, gramps- i'm no sonnyboy and naturally aspirated 850hp is easy enough to come with a warranty (if you dont know how to screw one together yourself.)

I built my current engine myself for not much money 5 years ago- it's NOTHING special- 4 inch crank in a 360LA mopar with an off the shelf Eldebrock intake and heads, and an old school mopar purple hydraulic cam. 462hp, 520 lbft of torque.

you kinda prove my point when you say "magical 600hp figure". There is NOTHING magical about 600hp and hasn't been for years. The past several years in the HP wars is all about the magical 1000hp figure.

I'll sit and eat my cotton candy when you lay back and gum your melba toast. But as for you telling me to keep my mouth shut, I'm pretty sure that my opinion that horsepower is easier to come by nowadays, is just as valid as your opinion that you cant seem to make any.

You DO see my point- the older tech/car is what it is and that's fine until they say "12's is fast for a streetcar" If THEY put a qualifier on it (streetcar) then that's what THEY should race against. No one said "12's is fast for a stock engined Tucker"

Tman, I hear Sears Optical is having a sale- might need some specs to see that i didn't get shit handed to me there- i was respectfully leaving another person's thread.

Since you think 11's and 12's is "fast for a competition coupe that you wouldn't want to daily drive" I would like you to bring your fast 11 second competition car and race some of my friend's leather interior daily drivers.

I'd race you myself but i'm in the middle of taking the engine from my 12 second street car and putting it in a car that's 1,100lbs less, is designed for serious traction off the line and has anywhere from 150 to 275 more hp in it.

I think that will put it in the tens easily enough. But since you thing fast is fast (with no qualifiers) and YOU want YOUR ass handed to you now; then come on over, and race one of the Supras, Camaros, Mustangs, Vettes, Vipers that are rolling around.

Or you can wait and I'll hand you your own ass myself. Yes i'm on a budget, and it takes a long time to build a car from an empty body shell. But the HP part is long been taken care of.

Yes i would respect a banger running 12's. It IS fast for a banger.

People speak relatively: when someone says HP is cheap- What kind of cost/grief/badmanners were caused by 1000hp in 1965 compared to 2010?

It's not 1965 anymore, we can have more than 300hp with out having an ill mannered, pain in the ass powertrain. And it can look traditional as any other small block chevy in a gasser if that's your thing.

Again for those that are reading impaired- My opinion is that a 12 second competition car is no longer considered "FAST"

-rick

16. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Couple years ago I thought one of my cars was a pretty spiffy performer, then I got my ass handed to me by a late model Nissan Maxima with a V6. Now I just look at it as a cruiser.

-KK

17. 69fury

69fury

This is the point that most in this thread dont seem to grasp. Thank you.

rick

18. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

It's alway easy to bench race or out run someone if, when, or maybe get theres running. So get it running and show us your times..... Like its been said fast on the strip isn't fast on the street...

19. oldpaint

oldpaint

50 percent? would that make it half-fast?

20. I've never had a hotrod that would even come close to the performance of my kid's supercharged ZO-6....unbelieveable power from a stock short block. I agree, the new technology is making our stock modern engines very stout indeed.

21. Abomb

Abomb

Pretty much.....

22. Cruel

Cruel
    from Seattle

Id rather see a noisy unruly hot rod run down the track in the 11 or 12 second range than a faster new Mustang, Camaro or Corvette ... Its like comparing apples to oranges to me.

23. You really sound like you are in the wrong place. I mean no ill-will by it. Your leanings might fit better at our sister site http://www.dogfightmag.com/

Your discussion really just not fit here. :)

24. brad chevy

brad chevy

Fury69 you are so full of shit your eyes are brown,when you talk about 1000 hp shit thats just high dollar sponsered racing,as far as the damn new mustangs,camaros,vettes and tuner bullshit take away their computer chips and laughing gas ,let em run on just motor and what do they have,nothing,sounds like you need tochange boards if you would rather drive a honda or nissan,and the smart ass remarks in your thread just shows you are a punk.

25. russd

russd

i don't know how "fast" mine will be when i am done. i am hoping for around 11 seconds. i don't need all the tech headaches to go any faster. the closest track to me is over two hours away. i want to drive it on the street as well as the track. i won't be racing anybody on the street either so who cares about that.

26. 69fury

69fury

I can respect that- From the get go, i only intended to state that in the modern world, the street has gotten SO much faster.

I love all types of hotrods to be found on the HAMB and would love to have the time, cash and ability to build one of each type. I want my hotrod to look good, and perform well, too.

I understand there are people that dont care to have the fastest, and i need to have the fastest myself, but i firmly believe that if the tech exists to make my car faster, without ruining the vibe, then i will use it to avoid having my "race car" beat by a car off the show room floor.

-rick

27. firingorder1

firingorder1

"I'd race you myself but............." Says it all right there.

28. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I get your point but you seem to not be picking up on what most of these guys are saying. If I wanted to run in the tens or faster I could get there quite easily. I did not build my car to run against Z06 corvettes or Nissan maximas. I I built my car to run against like minded car guys that get what this site is about.
    I choose to run a 327 in a big car with vintage parts available before 65 because I enjoy keeping in touch with the TRADITIONAL roots of racing. I dont run in the tens, hell im not even in the twelves but every year I get a little faster. And I have a lot of fun doing it.

29. 69fury

69fury

Um... i only responded will crass language to those that used profanity aimed at me first-so i was responding in kind like im about to do to you...

To say i'm full of shit (green eyes by the way, thanks) is the stupidest thing i've heard all nite. If you dont know that 1000hp has been the "new 500hp" for the past 5 years, you've been drinkin too much Marvel Mystery Oil.

You seem to think that new tech is only good for those that use it. WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK. Take away your 4barrell and what is your car gonna do?- what a dipshit. in fact that's a great idea, you need to run a banger with an updraft carb and vacuum shifted trans. NO NEW TECH!

and personally i would NOT rather drive any of the cars you mentioned- in fact I even stated that i had a 69Fury and now am building a gasser- so i'm not sure why you said that- unless you didn't read the posts at all and just wanted to come call me a punk for no reason. Feel manly now?

reading owns you.

-rick

30. How does the new car have 150-275 more hp in it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.