Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Melzo, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

I have a 51 chevy coupe that Im going to put a speedway straight axle kit under. does anyone know what width i need to order? Or what measurement do I make? Is hub to hub were the outside edge of the wheels will be? The car already has ladder bars in the back, but its been converted to coil spring. The stock leaf spring mounts are still there and Ill obviously be going back to leaf in the back. Is there a vehicle that has the right springs with the right arch to where I wont have to radius the rear fenders (not a fan of the cut out wheel wells) any help or tech advice on this build would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Most gassers I have seen tend to have their tires close to the wheel opening. Choose your wheel/tire combo, spindle/ knuckle assembly, mock it up and measure in between for your axle width. Make sure the look pleases you cause you'll have to live with it. Try and find other similar cars as this may help. Just my opinion.

3. captmullette

captmullette

hope this helps, i love 50's gassers........... its for sale on ebay i think....:confused:

Attached Files:

4. Large_911

Large_911

There are a lot of folks on here with more knowledge than me on the subject, but here is my $0.02:

1) A safe bet is to stick to your stock track width.

2) On those Speedway kits, if you read the fine print, it tells you what spindle & brake combo give what total width. For example, Ford spindles and Wilwood brakes will give you a different length than Chevy spindles with Wilwood brakes.