Register now to get rid of these ads!

Experts advice on tig Welding 12L14 steel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1930roadster, Sep 21, 2010.

1. 1930roadster

1930roadster

Hey all,
    I purchased some bungs made of 12L14 (leaded steel/free machining) and welding it to 1018(mild steel), i'm having issues with cracks in the weld after cool down. There are no air gaps between pieces... Do i need a special filler rod? preheat? what the hell am i doing wrong...???
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=kts&NM=181

If it's not strength critical, use SIB rod.

3. 1930roadster

1930roadster

Thanks for that info EL, but that really doesnt answer my question and i'm always concerned about strength...

all the welding going on in here... anyone else?

4. If you read it, it does tell you that TIG is not normally used for this steel but recommends appropriate electrodes for stick welding. Maybe change your choice of welder from TIG to stick?

Steve

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010

5. You didn't ask about strength, or specify the purpose of the bungs.

I thought it was article on welding this material was pretty clear.

If these bungs are to be used for suspension elements, I would consider finding replacements if you do not want to source the correct filler materials. If these are for non structural things like fitting bungs on a oil tank, then welding (brazing) with something like SIB (Silicon Bronze) would not only look very nice but would also seal well and take a moderate amount of stress load.

Aircraft Spruce does have the correct TIG wire for high strength welding of Free Machining steel.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was there a specific reason for a specialty bung?

7. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

The best thing to do is just make new bungs out of 1018
    At my work we only have 12L14 it free and machines real nice but I still go buy my own stock for my projects.
    just my 2 cent
    good luck Bill