Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone keep a "build bible" or do you wing it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INVISIBLEKID, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Do you,or don't you? I mean as in all tech sheets from parts,instuctions,make your own drawings,pictures for re-assembly....That sort of thing.Receipts go in another folder which I will only tally for the insurance people-which I really do not want to know what i've spent.
    I have done this before,and am doing it now. Sometimes life interupts,and it's difficult to remember where you left off. Glad I have it/made it,cause if I didn't ,I'de be S.O.L!

OR- Do just wing it,throw things away,put it on auto pilot and go?

It would be interesting to see how you handle your build.

Well?:rolleyes:

2. i have a note book full of tech specs/ prices, sketches and ideas before i start, mostly engine stuff. i keep receipts for the big stuff, but realy i don't want to know the final price tag. i try to keep the important stuff together, like wiring diagrams for things i've "rewired".

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I always start a folder at the beginning of every project.. Put all receipts and any other pertinent info into it.. I want to know what I spent and how much I'll make......

4. F&J

F&J

The only stuff I write (at the end of the day) is on a part that needs something done to it before "welding it in" the next morning by mistake.

...or just a big white chalked arrow pointing to something. :)

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

no , because i don't want the ole lady to know what iam spending. You only live once , but why chance it.

6. I just kept a folder with receipts and a bit of information. For the most part I just winged it and kept a running total in my head. But I have no plans to ever sell it!

7. hell no! but im sure the pros here have too!

8. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Me personally, no, because I have not worked on any period cars. I usually work on newer models. But I have seen (and I do this every once in a while) people take bland, almost universal diagrams of cars or suvs or even jeeps and draw little bolts where the this bolts to that and then write down the bolt number and then they number the bolt heads. Makes rebuilding really easy.

9. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have a list of part numbers etc. for things I used so they can be replaced in the future but no reciepts or anything to remind me how much it cost.

10. All reciepts go into a folder in case I need them for titling/registration reasons. If I don't need them, then I never see them again, but if I do need them, they become invaluable.

All part numbers are written down in a notebook,same as any ideas. Once the build is over I transfer them into a word file and keep a cd of the file with the reciept folder.

Any cnc files are kept in the comp for future use on other projects.

11. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

I've just started getting my feet wet with my project, but I plan on at least keeping record of non original parts. I know it would have helped me if the original builder would have kept record of the build. Instead of jumping right in, I have to first identify all of the non original parts. This can be very time consuming if you have not been in it long enough to be able to identify parts just by looking at them. (me).

Other than that I use sandwich bags and a marker to keep bolts somewhat organized for an easier assembly. I have not decided if I want to keep non essential receipts ... as others have said, it could get me in trouble with the war department! HA

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do pretty much like Obsolete Zach said he does. I start a binder for each build and keep receipts and any paperwork and instructions that come with parts. I don't make a habit of adding up totals because it doesn't really matter. And my wife doesn't give a damn except the vehicle had better be reliable and comfortable for road trips.

I walked a sailboat trailer through the state inspection that I had built using an old tandom axle travel trailer frame a year ago.
    I had the note from the person who had given me the travel trailer along with the receipts for the pipe, tubing and 1-1/8 all thread and nuts I used. Outside of having him look for the non existent vin number on the trailer frame the process took all of 20 minutes and I was off to the license office to get my plates but do have a bonded title on the trailer for another two years.

If you have a clear title in your name for the project the build book might not be too important except to help remember what master cylinder or wheel bearing you used when one gives out but for the guy who has to take one to be inspected before he can get a title it means documentation for where every part came from including copies of the title of the parts rig the engine and trans came out of in some cases plus the paperwork for when you got rid of the hulk after you pulled the engine out. Bought parts car, pulled parts sold hulk, simple as that.

13. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Complete organization saves time and money! I do a complete indexing of all old parts (tag and bag) and go through each part to decide if I am going to repair, replace, rechrome, reuse etc. Make a list, keep all invoices (helps with future parts replacement if necessary). Parts are organized on roll around carts with bins that can be rolled near the project or on shelves in their own area. I am probably more detailed because I have to do it everyday and most of the time Im on someone else's budget and I have to show where it's going. Plus when you have multiple cars going there has to be a method to the madness. Even my personal home "garage project" is organized on my shelves at home and done in the same manner like at work. Even though its easier to drag it up to work :)

14. 4t7flat

4t7flat

For my 27 T I have a thick note book,with every instruction sheet,and all tech information. I keep all receits,trans parts,axle parts,and engine parts are kept separate,to prove they were COMPLETELY rebuilt. I keep the the tag off of service parts like fan belts,air cleaners,wheel cylinders,and paint chip samples with formulas. Unfortunatly I bought two cars that do not have such documentation,what a pain. I have started note books for those cars,and add pages as I replace parts. Some of the instructions can be found at company web sites, like Holley, Mallory,and VDO.

15. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

A book: No, not so much. File folders, records, drawings, etc in the filing cabinet. You betcha!

I also tag-and-bag everything and keep it all on the shelves until the job is done and sometimes longer if it might be usable elsewhere. I learned long ago about discarding parts that you don't think you'll need only to want them back later.

16. projim64

projim64

I am keeping track of my latest project. I write down every penny I spend on it including consumable materials. I also keep track of how many hours I spend on it and what I did that day so later I can tell how long each part of the car took to do. I have also been selling off other projects and parts to fund this build and have been keeping track of that also. It is amazing how selling a few cars and parts can add up to enough to build one car . So far I am ahead of the game and have a finished car to look forward to instead off a garage full of projects and nothing finished . Jim.

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I do the same ...
    Mainly so I can get a part that needs replacing or buy one like it for the " new project "

Also ... if I ever sell my 32's ... the new owner will know what I used ( cause I will not be available to tell him ... I will be either DEAD or senile :D )

18. paintcan54

paintcan54

On my last build I kept a note book with all the part numbers and prices. I even kept the price of parts that I got at the junk yard, even listed the parts that friends gave me, and in the same book I write down everything I sell so in the end I should have a fair feeling what I have in it.

19. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

I keep all notes a reciepts in a folder marked for the vehicle. I also take as many digital photos as I can and store them on a ZIP disk or flashdrive. I have been working on a '41 Ford PU now for 8 years and have over 400 photos. They have been real helpful in seeing what went were. I aslo keep a log book of where I got parts from. Which ones were crap and who to buy from and whom not too.

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I dont keep records of costs but I do keep ideas and drawings for parts i've made. Cross over parts lists or special parts used for there part #'s.

21. poorman

poorman
    from cleveland

yes to folders one is for reciepts one is for part numbers etc so i dont forget if it should need replaced down the road

poorman

22. I'm all digital! I scan the paper and keep backups in case my main computer crashes. I'm still scanning stuff I've had on paper for decades. It make it much easier to find, and I can always print a copy.

I also use Microsoft Notebook to manage photos, drawings and documents for a project. I keep a digital copy of EVERYTHING from manuals to receipts to sketches, because it takes up no space!

23. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Notebook, all instructions for any retail parts (wiring kits, shifters, other). Receipts in manila envelope, pictures before/after/during and a diary of any special things that may not make sense to the person who didn't build it. All of the above goes WITH the car when I sell it. Really helps the next guy if he/she knows what brake cylinders, hose numbers, belt numbers, anything else.

It's the right thing to do, ergo I do it.

dj

24. I have a good record of the parts on my build because it's made up of so many different years of cars. You'd swear I bought it from Johnny Cash! ( One piece at a time)

25. mullskull

mullskull

here's what i have-
    list's:
    part's needed broken down to stuff i need to scrounge or buy new-
    contacts, business cards etc-
    reference photo's (mostly before, during, and after photo's
    lots of parts with tags /labels on them (i don't remember shit)
    a build journal
    and lastly a tally of receipts..

26. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

I keep a notebook to document ideas from HAMB threads, or car magazines, and build notes. Use a plain old manila folder for all the receipts. Now using the computer to document the costs in an Excel spreadsheet. Digital camera to document all the before and after pix. Start with a plan and stick to the plan in an effort to stay on budget.

27. aaggie

aaggie

I keep a folder with the instruction sheets for parts going into my projects and receipts for all major parts, nuts and bolts from hardware store are not necessary.
    On my computer I keep a folder of digital pictures. I can't tell you how good it is to go back and look at pictures of how something was put together. You are in for a shock if you think you can remember how all of those little parts you took apart and put into little bags go back together five years later. Also when it comes time to sell a project you can give the new owner a buil book and prove the parts were actually replaced, it can add value to the project.

28. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

I keep it all, and pass it on when I sell one...had a dude call from Mass, 2 years after I finished my 48 to ask a few questions, and thanked me for making a build book...Vicki Nova don't care how much I spend.....

29. mustangGTS

mustangGTS

I am somewhat anal on the planning. I go through, and usually take measurements first, make some sketches of what I want to end up with, make some scale drawings on graph paper, sometimes build sections on Auto cad, design up special sections, and make a master parts list with price and supplier on any new parts, and estimated price on anything that I will have to "hunt down"

I also draw up schematics prior to starting the wiring. I know what my estimated cost and appearance will be before I start.

Part of the reason is so I stick to building it, and not change everything, and by parts 5 times, and have a project get away from me and my budget.