Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ray Basso 32 roadster Riley V8 Overhead build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rexrogers, Sep 24, 2010.

1. rexrogers

rexrogers

We are getting started on the restoration/ build of Ray Basso's 32 roadster.
    The nicest original body that i have ever seen, a Riley overhead V8 I will try to update this as we go along on the car and fill in some of the details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T-roaster likes this.
  2. Great looking project as usual Rex.

Restoration implies it has known history as a Hot Rod, what's the story?

3. 18n57

18n57

Wow!! Riley V8 overhead conversion...never seen one except at Speedy Bill's museum! Gotta be rare as hen's teeth!!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

So, there are THREE Riley V8's, Speedy Bill, Don Orosco, and this one? Great looking project, please keep us updated with photos and details.

5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Rex, I am looking forward to the restoration thread. I am not familiar with the car so I will follow closely. This should be some car. I love the one Don did a few years ago.

6. Weasel

Weasel

Didn't George Riley only make five or six of these V8 conversions?

7. brady1929

brady1929

you guys do great work, can't wait to see it finished

8. The Basso roadster one is a OHV conversion on the Ford block. The rare one is a SOHC engine, based on the 21 stud. I think that only the cranshaft is factory Ford, the rest is Riley.

Steve

Attached Files:

9. rexrogers

rexrogers

I don't have all the history on this car we are still tracking it down, I have a brief history of the car written down but its at the shop will post all that we have on the car soon. I don't know if this car was ever finished or it has been a project it whole hot rod life. I believe the motor was picked up in 46. i believe the car has been in this state since the early 70's. I will try to get some good detail shots of this car the great friction shock down to the hand made brass radiator this was defiantly a high quality build and i am gratefully that we will have a chance to complete it, and i really want to hear how the Riley motor sounds.

10. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

The Dan Iandola Riley book has photos of the riley head motor before going in the car, so that portion of the build can't be that old...

11. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

There's at least one other full Riley motor like the one Michigander posted as well as a flathead V-8 with a Riley DOHC conversion (yes, DOHC...4 cams.)

Rex, really cool car. Are those dental drive Daytons? Are they period from Pre-war or are they Jaguar wheels?

Cris

12. rexrogers

rexrogers

They are Dental drive Daytons i will take some shot of them on Monday the Buick drums are narrowed up, a lot of great parts are on this car. I believe Pete Eastwood built the frame for the car, when i pick up the paper work we have on the car i can fill in some of the details.

13. rexrogers

rexrogers

Here is the info i have on the Ray basso 32 roadster, we are still working on verifying all that we have on the car.
    George Riley was owned be Harold Johanson in 1946the motor was put in Jim Latten's roadster and raced at the lakes in the late 50's Wes cooper and Ray Basso purchased the motor, Ray bought the roadster from a Japanese guy in 1963, the Japaneses fellow won the car in a raffle. In 1973 Pete Eastwood updated the chassis, 1974 Bird man did all the sheet metal work.
    An nos quick change with 38 rear axle assembly.
    1974 Kong Jackson rebuilt the drive train with a Kong ignition
    39 tyranny with Zephyr gears
    Lincoln backing plates narrowed Buick drums Kong modified them to fit
    Early Crager axle tube center i beam ends
    unsplit wish bones
    Chopped windshield and roadster top
    39 tail lights
    32 steering box 39 banjo wheel.

14. rexrogers

rexrogers

Some more shots of the wheels and the rest of the car.

The headers are still up in the air on what is right for the car the ones that are on here adjust for reference.
    The top bows need a little work and unfortunate the wood is to far gone with some cracks and some dry rot we will have to replace them.
    All in all this project should move along fairly quick due to the fact that it is such a great car to start with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lil'Alb and T-roaster like this.
  15. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

16. freebird101

freebird101

thats way to awesome

17. Now that is one cool dang car! Given the rare parts, quality of even the current workmanship and what you guys are undertaking, this should be one heck of a roadster when complete. I can see some real awards coming down on this one!

Keep us posted and make sure you record the initial 'fire' of the motor on video - for all of the HAMB to see!

Thanks for sharing and congrats on having the chance to build this.

Dale

18. Nik

Nik

Now THAT is what sweet dreams are made of!!

19. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

WOW love those wheels

20. shoestring

shoestring

That is one cool setup. Are there any pictures from when it raced at the lakes? Thanks for posting.

21. Wow... look forward to this thread.

Neat car, amazing parts. I do wish the wheels were taller. They make the body look to thick or big. Still amazing... Love your work Rex.

22. 296ardun

296ardun

Very cool restoration...I remember picture of a Riley V-8 overhead in one of Don Montgomery's books, it was in a roadster but don't remember details, will try to find it (that's the problem with having too many Don Montgomery books!!)

23. rexrogers

rexrogers

We are working on tracking down some information on the motor for the roadster.
    We were able to get some time in on the car this last week new wood bows for the top and some slight adjustment to the top it self.
    still trying to decide on which way to go with the headers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T-roaster likes this.
  24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

very very cool. Can't wait to see more progress.

25. rexrogers

rexrogers

We are working on getting some plans made for the car so not a lot of progress this past few weeks but we did pull the valve cover off to day to peek inside the motor just thought i would post a photo of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T-roaster likes this.
  26. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

man that cars cool

27. Wow - so I have to know . . . does the whole intake system go through that one blocked off plate that I see??? I can't see any intake ports - so maybe I'm missing something? If so, then there is really no way this head could ever perform - not that we really care that much!

Also, the rockers show BOTH valves way over on the far side of the head -- so is the intake way over next to the exhaust (seems to be), so the whole intake distribution system must be inside the head? There can't be any real way to port or increase the flow of what Riley produced.

Tell me I'm wrong! Even though this is as rare as they come, seems the Ardun design is light years ahead of it.

Dale

28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty darn coool car , i like it

29. hasty

hasty