Register now to get rid of these ads!

8BA Flathead question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Da' Bomb, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Fella's
    My Dad and I are building a 8BA and an 8CM. 3 5/16" bore X 4" stroke...The next step is to pressure check the blocks. Rather than pay for the pressure checking kit, ($250 from Speedy Bill) I'd rather make myself the tool to block the head surface and water pump. Does anybody have, or know where to go to find dimensions for the bolt pattern of the heads?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Why not just buy a set of head gaskets? Use them for templates, then use them.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or use a head as a drill guide. Drill the first hole in your plate so that it matches the location of one of the end bolts, bolt the head to the plate. use it to get the register right for a hole on the opposite end with a bit that is the size of the holes in the head. Take it loose and drill that hole an then bolt the plate to the head and use the drill to mark your center in the other 22 holes. Unbolt the head take it to the drill press and drill your pilot holes and then drill it to size.

4. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Cause I'm hoping to get the piston and valve locations too.

5. farcus1

farcus1

Use the head gasket and have a template lazer cut out of 1/4" plate or have it cut at your local tech school machine shop. Just make sure they don't cut out the water jacket holes. Glue rubber to the bottom and make a plate to cover the inlet the same way and install a connector for a hose or an air line and you are in business.

6. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

How I made mine
    1. Use transfer punch and a head to get the holes in the ½” alum plate
    2. Use gasket to mark the chamber / bore area .
    3. Cut them out with hole saws…..trim rest with saw and finish up with drum sander.

7. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

296 V8,
    That's pretty much where I'm going....I was hoping for dimensions so I could program and do in one sitting.....Thanks for all the input guy's

Pat

8. 36tbird

36tbird

Then, after you have done all that, weigh your time and effort against just buying the set. I'm just saying..........;)

9. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Understood....But the learning adventure is a hell of a lot of fun too...