Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Spirit Of Rett

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 24, 2010.

1. sololobo

sololobo

Congrats on the record folks, as mentioned The Summer Brothers will remain legendary, and some new kids in town! Thanx for exposing the cool salt links, home run post. ~Sololobo~

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. looks like all the car guys are packed up to head home. Ack Attack the record holding motorcycle liner (367 and change) got special permission to run tomorrow morning.
    Go Get Em Rocky!

3. Kettleman

Kettleman

Great story! Good job guys on the new record

4. I think that is the first in car video I have seen of a run. That is scarry fast. I would have thought you would have been able to see line down the center of the track a bit better. That just makes it all that much more scarry. Absolutly amazing.

5. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

There is no line in the center of the course. In the past there were black lines on each side of the course but this year the lines were replaced by cones along each side. Many, many years ago there was a single black line.

John

6. Cool story! I just saw the Goldenrod at the Henry Ford museum in Detroit a month ago.

That video is amazing. That thing is really cookin!

7. hasty -

I posted that same photograph on page 4 of my The Markley Bros BELLY TANK – A Pictorial History thread:

[​IMG]

... and a higher-rez version:

Aerial view of the Summers Bros Goldenrod, Herda-Knapp-Milodon 'liner & Markley Bros tank.jpg
    click thumbnail to enlarge

NOTE: You can actually download any of the pics in one of Ryan or Jive-Bomber's Blogs ... Just move your cursor to the very bottom edge of the image before doing a "Right-Click-Save". ;)

8. filthy frank

filthy frank

that is a cool shot of the goldenrod,is that bob and bill summers to the right by the truck ?

9. Kenny P

Kenny P

Great Story and Great video's.
    When that baby is wound out it just kinda made the hairs on my neck stand up. Geeshus :eek:
    What makes the story more inspiring is that it's not a million dollar funded team.
    "The Spirit of Rett"...Awesome

10. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I read that there have only been 6 wheel driven vehicles over the 400 mph mark and to have 4 break that mark at the same event... wow.

That Caddy powered Speed by Spectre liner is flat amazing... hell... all of them.

Do yourself a favor and read the play by play coverage in the link on page 1. Its pretty cool to see history being made.

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

i've been following along on landracing.com also.

All these 4 over 400 are two wheel drive, rear wheel drive. Single engine.

Nearburg is N/A on GAS. (I think that's what they said)
    Speed Demon is running a 299 and a 347 CI turbo and has been over 400. Holy shit.
    Specter is running a big caddy, over 500 and a smaller one, 480's(?), with turbos and I also think on gas. The small one went over 400.
    Nish is running N/A on fuel (nitro). I also think two different size engines.

The salt is down to dirt in the first two miles and the last two miles. Giving traction problems.

12. hasty

hasty

Thank you very much HEMI32, That is really kind of you.
    I have downloaded them.
    Thanks again

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And the Ack Attack motorcycle from San Jose went 386.9 through the mile. Exit speed of 394. Almost 400 on (in) a bike. Amazing meet.

14. 21tat

21tat

Great story! Thanks Ryan.

15. Yet another video chronicling the achievement:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9kNlHVPOqcA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9kNlHVPOqcA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

16. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks..........

17. Here's a nice pic of Charlie & his record-setting 'liner on the salt (from the February '11 GOODGUYS Digital Gazette):

Charles Nearburg - Spirit Of Rett.jpg
    click thumbnail to enlarge

18. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I have heard via the 'landracing' site that they are in "impound".....I haven't heard any numbers yet.

Go Rett Go!

Chris

19. Charlie has raced in many different types of cars. He currently has a couple of vintage Indy and Formula One cars. He raced at Le Mans and for us at Dale Coyne Racing in 1997. He did 3 races and ran at the back, His most experience was at Laquna Seca where he qualified near the back but had a great race car on Sunday. Charlie was doing the same lap times as Juan Montoya and Juan could not get around him.
    Rett was sick during this time & Charlie always talked about him.
    Good things happen to good people!