Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mounting a SBC in a 54 Chevy AD truck.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low50s, Sep 23, 2010.

1. low50s

low50s

I am in some major need of help!! I am trying to get a 350 SBC with a TH350 trans mounted into my 54 chevy 3100 pickup, Every way I think about mounting the engine/trans I have some sort of conflict. weather it be with the tranny and the firewall. which is no problem at all because i can cut the firewall. but if it gets too high i will have a problem with the seat.

2nd issue and the most major is with the engine sitting in the frame there wont be enough room between the engine block and the steering box to get a exhaust manifold in there. i dont know if i should shift engine over to one side or another, or what i can do inorder to fix this problem, I am still using the stock style streight axle.

If anyone has pictures of a good way to mount the engine can you please post them so I an get ideas and past this major roadblock of the process. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

With a short style water pump ... and the engine moved over about 1 inch ... you should have plenty of room. I like them mounted low ... and then use a ZIPS raised water pump.

[​IMG]

3. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

if your still struggling - I am running that exact setup in my 55 1st - will take shots if it will help?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the stock steering the biggest hassle is the steering box. The old way that has been done hundreds of times is to move the box out about an inch an a half by using a piece of heavy angle iron to move the top two bolt holes over. But that also takes making the hole for the steering shaft a bit larger and the wheel will be a bit away from just right. I drove mine a lot of miles that way when I put the first V8 in it. they don't drive too bad but it's rather crude looking done that way. I've never taken the time to figure out a cross steer setup for one but that might solve a couple of problems.

Unless you want the cab to eventually sag you will have to reinforce the frame if you cut the center crossmember (the one under the bellhousing) out to clear the Turbo 350 . You can almost always spot an AD truck that has been built for a while and runs a V8 and automatic because most of the time they will look slightly out of wack where the hood meets the cowl. If you were to put it on a hoist you would see that the arms that the cab mounts sit on have settled and twisted the frame rails out and the cab is setting on the frame rather than being supported by the mounts.

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Have you tried LT-1 exhaust manifolds? I heard they work great in the passenger cars where there is also a clearance problem with the steering box. Maybe they will solve your problem too.

6. low50s

low50s

If you could send me some pictures that would be great! just anything that might give me an idea for some way to make this work.

Could you show me pictures of this also please if you have any at your disposal? I would maybe like to try this also. I am going to have to remove the org tranny mount from the vehical. and then its going to turn into bracing the entire frame. I planed on doing some extra heavy duty bracing across the entire frame anyways because i know the frame is strong i just dont know how strong esp with a old rusty pickup i dont want too much to flex and bend so i will be taking some 2x4 steel and making a new tranny crossmember and then prolly a new one to go ahead of that, then most likely x the center of the truck frame to make sure i dont run into sagging issues. But is someone could post up some pictures that would be great and thank you!!

7. low50s

low50s

That would have been nice cheep for the kit, but i bought my engine crossmember from classic parts same crossmember, I just didnt get a tranny one which i will make. even with that crossmember kit you still run into the same problems as before, the engine being too close to the steering box. like i said i can cut the firewall all i need to

8. low50s

low50s

I think I have found a way that i can make this work I need to get a corvair style steering box. find a way to split the org steering column and then joints from the column to the box as i mount the box on the frame off to the side and use a dropped pitman arm hooked up to the steering link should work i hope if i can just find a nice inexpensive corvair box that i can mount up