Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scrap price must be up again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Hope you sell the 51. I had a nicer 50 2dr for $700 and couldn't sell it. Times are tough. Keep us posted on how this works for ya.

2. screwball

screwball

why do you want more for the title up here the title is useless with out the vin tags and its illegal to remove vin tags from a body.

3. farcus1

farcus1

I don't want more for just the title. I have to have more for the titled car than the car alone. It would take time and money to get the title and transfer it to my name. As is the car is just parts.

4. the only thing up around here is the county up my ass about my vehicles! looks like regaurdless of prices there is gonna be some shit hauled off soon from my nsmall collection! thanks a fucking asshole tree hugger for all these bullshit regulations, thanks muther fuckers!:rolleyes::D:D

5. i just bought a 33 Auburn with this split windshield today
    it is really just a pile of tin/cowl /dash with gauges but if i squint it looks like this..:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  6. It's up here, one of the scrap places is running ads on TV and radio both that they will buy scrap. The commercials are old, when's the last time you saw a '77 Ford Fairmont, junk or not? but they're well made (if annoying as all hell), one parodies the Indiana Jones movies.

I just had a guy squeak in who's interested in my '58 Imperial carcass, I was close to cutting it in two if I had to to get it hauled in. I'm going to hold off and see what he wants off it first. It has a good frame but I can't even get the demo guys interested in it.

But I'll tell you, the crates of carburators and parts and shit I have been hauling to the same car shows and swap meets for two and three years now? I am really, REALLY tempted to load up all that junk no one gives a damn about and drive over the scales, then enjoy the pleasure of throwing the crap out into a scrap pile someplace and see what I can purposely break in the process. I am so sick of these old farts who want to give me $5 for a carb ("well, I just need that one bracket...") when if I want one minimum I have to pay $20 at the you-pick yard for one (and good luck finding anything pre-1990 there, let alone pre-1964), or they ask me if I have any Stromberg 97s for that same $20 like I am some kind of retard who just crawled out from under a rock and gasp in shock when I tell them every one I've ever had went on eBay for $100-$125 no questions asked, even when they were set up solid. I mean the stuff I bring is not set up old shit carbs, they're inside stored, everything moves, pulled off a running car in the 1960s carbs that could be rebuilt easily. I also have generators and distributors and all kinds of parts and no one wants them, no one will miss them when they're gone, and the higher scrap gets versus the longer I don't sell them the easier it will be to sleep at night having scrapped it all. I keep track of what I do sell at car shows and last week I sold NO car parts, at one of the biggest and longest running swap meets in the area no less. This week I sold two - and that in part only because I bought a 94 carb last week for cheap I knew I could sell to a guy the next week for double my money. I sell more trains, toys, and DVDs than anything else. So why not just sell that and save the hassle? I might even take apart and scrap my old Suburban if this keeps up. I can fill it with a lot of shit -

7. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

yeah its sad to see nice stuff end up as scrap...A few years ago i bought this 4 door 51 chevy for 450 from the local junkyard. It was alright...typical rot in rockers, bottom doors and quarters.

made it into this...not the coolest car but i'd rather see it like this than in tin can form...

[​IMG]

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

HAHAHAHAH...this is so true..hahahaha

9. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Rustynewyorker, I was wondering when you would join in. You said it exactly. My shop looks so much better now that I've hauled in a lot of stuff. I would have given a lot of it to some one if they would have been decent. Last two ads I ran in the newspaper antique section never even got a call. Deprived of telling someone that you shouldn't expect to drive a $400 project car home. Deprived of waiting for the guy who said he would be there in an hour and never showed. Oh well, maybe I'll help the value of everybody elses stuff and just crush it all.

10. selohssa

selohssa

There has been a guy up here that has been moving all of his cars to an area to get the crusher in. He has been running ads for over a year telling people that the crusher is coming. Trouble is, very few people are willing to pay anything more than crusher prices for these cars and if they want anything, the owner has to move several vehicles with his forklift to get it out. He does not have to do anything if the scrap guy comes in except pick up his check.

I know that once this stuff gets crushed, I will hear people say "I would have bought that" I have bought 3 vehicles and MANY parts from him but I can't save em all.

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

11. That's how I got the trailer for my Dragster, two kids were hauling it to the scrap yard and I followed them there. When the scrap guy said he was going to give them $100 for it I produced a Ben Franklin and had a trailer. With clear title too. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Bluetick

Bluetick
    from USA

There was a salvage yard south of town that was full of great old cars. But the guy running the place was a nutt, I asked several times on diff cars but he'd never sell anything. It's not for sale was the answer on parts or whole cars. When he died the family called a crusher crew in. They bought everything, crushed and shipped to the smelter. I often wonder how he would feel about his cars ending like they did.

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Front page of this morning's WSJ talks about scrap steel prices going up. Headline reads:

Steel-Price Rise Defies Forecasts.

14. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

two weeks ago it was 11 a hundred in Georgia

15. Scrap price for car bodys here is $10.50 per hundred. He probably got over $300.oo for that load. I just yesterday sold a 65 plymouth wagon for $400.oo Its slated to be a future star in a demolition derby. Now folks dont have to complain about that wagon sitting and rotting! The fact is there are more projects than buyers. OldWolf

Attached Files:

16. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

I find this to be recycling at its best:D , I really like the grill , what is it?

17. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

thanks. I wish i toook a picture of it when it was on top the pile! I think the only reason i bought it was because i felt bad for it and it was local otherwise i'd probably never buy it. The grill is 56 chrysler... just something i had lying around. My goal was to try to get all the chrome looking good before i sold it so i had to get rid of the stock and molded a 53 grillshell i had.

It was a fun driver

18. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Headed to a large antique auto auction this weekend , www.tandeauction.com , should be interesting to see what stuff brings. Owners are counting on Canadian money, owner told Auctioneer to start at scrap price and move along. I'll report back with results, hope this is not going to be an on going trend. Old cars might not survive the economy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Quite the pile of good useable parts there.Dont know what the problem is with buying it at scrap value.Step up and pay if you want it.I dont get the whining about the value of this stuff.It's like some people expect sellers to sell cars/parts/whatever for less than they can get for scrap.If $11 per pound is the going rate for a car going across the scales dont be surprised or angry that it couldnt be bought for $100.

20. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I just hope my friend doesn't experience what happened at my auction. Closed out an old wrecking yard full of 40's and 50's cars. Spent weeks lining them up, getting tires fixed, matching titles. Over three hundred cars better than 50% 2 drs. Sold about 12 cars for $50 - $75 each. One car sold for $300 - 58 Chevy Bel Air. Running 36 Ford truck - no bids. Everything left went to the crusher after I parted it out. Crowd was full of be backers and other time wasters who never bought anything. Perhaps this is the reason why I am still bitter. Yes I plan on going to the Auction and spending money. I'll also be helping my friend part out cars and haul scrap after probably.

21. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I SAW a 52 chevy convert on its way to the scrap yard, piled full of other junk. but I cant have anymore cars ,so........

22. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

LOL!!! Amen, man. I dunno if it's just the recession or what, but people's idea of what their stuff is worth is absolutely out of control. Used to, in hard times, people would try and strike bargains to get something sold and beat out the competition...no more. One guy decides his pile of oxidation is now worth 2k, everyone else jumps on board, so now you're stuck with seeing 2k everywhere. The key is to wait until these loons get REALLY hard up, then go in and pound them back down to reality....aka, what it was worth before the first nut upped the ante.

23. Squablow

Squablow

Curious to know when your auction was, and how you advertised it. I'm part of an auction happening next month and any good advice or lessons learned would be much appreciated.

24. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

scrappers ought be staked out and burned alive.

25. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

when steel prices where WAY up scum scrappers where stealing cars out of people's yards and scrapping em, i 10 .45 rounds into the towtruck of one of em trying to jack my 85 bronco frame, i walked outside and the fucker was just starting to lower the boom on his wrecker, it was one of thos repo style rigs with the quick setup,
    so i pulled my colt ans yelled at him, he stomped the gas tore through my hedge heading for the road, so i unloaded on his truck. called the cops, gave em a discription and that was that, never heard anything out of it.

i love the laws here in MS. i could have killed the bastard and got away with it.

26. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

That's the beauty of the South, where karma is enforceable by the average citizen....I'm originally from West TN, serving "time" up here in NJ...just waiting for the pardon (selling my house) so I can move back to the US! ;)

27. thehardway

thehardway
    from Missouri

The truth is when steel takes a big jump in price, You can get more for scraping the car than most guys will pay in alot of cases.......To give you an example I found a 1953 D-9 bulldozer that the owner was selling for scrap to the recycling place....I wanted to buy it As I thought it was cool, But because of the weight, The recycler was paying him over $11,000.00 for it......That was a little to cool for my budget...

28. thehardway

thehardway
    from Missouri

That pisses me off more than anything.....fuckers won't sell anything but will let it sit and rot until the end of time......We have animal cruelty control, Why not old car cruelty control???....LOL

29. half the asshats that say they want some thing flake out later! i have 3 to deal with because of that so GRIND them muthers up and be done with it! i'm really glad messing with vehicles is just a hobby not a way to make my living.

30. selohssa

selohssa

I used to work at a body shop that was owned by an old rodder. He had all kinds of cool stuff around and one night, someone broke into the yard and took all the aluminum stuff. There were several sets of vintage wheels and I am sure that they went for scrap.:mad: