Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the perfect scenario?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oh62fomoco, Sep 23, 2010.

1. oh62fomoco

oh62fomoco

What would be the perfect place to go? To hang out and work on your car with like minded people and no drama bullshit that you occasionally see or hear about. The whole traditional rod and ratrod BS. What is the perfect world of vehicular motor function?

I have a respect for anyone who works on there car to make it there own, and that car may look like the bastard son of Frankenstien. But they love it.

What is your perfect world? Is it hanging with the carclub buddies once a month.

Is it all alone with your thoughts and tools in your own garage being creative?

Or are you that parts hunter that supplies all your friends?

Maybe your retired with a painted sled in your garage you drive 2 or 3 times a month to the little burger stand car show every 3rd saturday of the month.

Maybe youre just a young guy dreaming about a car in your neighbors yard. And some day when that old fart finally says come and get it you'll be ready.

Well fellas lets hear some stories and some yarns about the old and the up coming days.

I hope this has brought some inspiration or maybe reconnected why we all do this crazy addictive hobby.

2. munciemike

munciemike
    from WI

The perfect place for me is in my garage with my kids helping. They are too young yet to be around if any welding or grinding is going on, but everytime I go out to work on my 55 I hope they too will share this hobby with me in a few years. (they're 5 and 6)

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would give it all away in a second to be back out on operations with my old patrol.
    When it comes to mates like that? Screw cars.

Doc.

4. I just do it because I need a car to match my hair and cuffs.:rolleyes:

5. norton

norton

Thanks alot, you just made me blow hot coffe out of my nose!

6. norton

norton

My perfect scenario would be that someone had the exact taste in cars as me would trade me their already done and ready ride for a bag of peanuts and all I had to do was drive around. All the gas stations were full service and paid me $4 a gallon plus tip to fill my tank. Everything is drivein/thru and ever so often a hot, naked female mechanic would service my car wilst party liquor rained from the sky to water the money tree in my yard that sprouted nothing less than hundred dollar bills. A man can dream.

7. mrforddude

mrforddude

Like, Dude!! What are you smokin' out in Cali??

Just let me get in somethin that is loud enough to make children and old ladies cringe...mechanical or female...:D

8. norton

norton

No smoke. Just good old fashion sleep deprivation.

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

No one scenario is perfect.
    I like variety; Often times I like to work on my stuff alone, no radio, nothing. A task that requires concentration, no distractions; That clears the mind.

Other times it's with the music on, beer at hand. Frequently that's all busted up when somebody stops by, but that's good too.
    Have a beer, shoot the shit.

A car show every couple of weeks works. Breakfast every week with the group of old car guys. Lunch every Thursday with a different group.

And, when the better half has a honeydo, it's usually a welcome distraction; I only have one rule about that. "don't make no fuckin' lists. Just pick one thing you want done this week and lay it on me".

The perfect scenario? Life is good. I'm enjoying it now because it'll turn to shit without warning. :D

10. mustangGTS

mustangGTS

For me it is in the garage. Working, and particularly metal work. I am at peace, and it is basically my moment of zen. I don't care if it is building a roll cage for a new corvette, or forming patch panels for the bottom corner of a cab, that is where I am in my own world, nd it doesn't matter what anyone thinks... not how your dressed, not what color your car is, not what brand, how fast it is, none of it. Creation is devine, and that is why I say that Kustom car builders, rodders, and drag race guys get hooked, because we get to feel a little bit like god.

11. Zerk

Zerk

A big garage with lifts, lots of light, lifts, plenty of tools, a fab room, a clean room for assembly, a paint booth...outside is my modified 2 1/4 ton army truck mobile shop and flatbed that I can use to go get project cars and tow my buddies' cars when they break down. Of course, my stuff never breaks.
    Out in the back forty is a desert playground consisting of a road course that is full of hairpin turns and a big, flat sweeper that leads onto a 1/4 mile straightaway. Nobody knows it is there.
    And then...

12. I spend time in bit of each "perfect" world.... I just need more time

A couple close friends and I take a multi-day vacation to long forgotten/closed wrecking yards each year, I sell an occasional car, project or part on the HAMB here for close lurker friends, we make a point of getting out to at least one different/distant car show every year.

The weekly shop night, have a few beers.. tell/listen to the same stories, etc... has gotten real old lately, its now become the "lawn chair" crowd that I loathed years ago... time to get back in the shop and get something done.

My trouble is I don't have time for social AND my projects, it seems I am enjoying the camaraderie more than the solitary time on my projects... (or maybe I'm lazy and lack motivation)

As far as a dream... just as soon as our son leaves for the Navy or College

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  13. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

My Zen: My truck is parked up at my parents house in buck county (they live in the woods) On the perfect day I like to get up early roll the truck outside, have a smoke & some caffine, then and get to work. It's relaxing and rewarding to be outside on a nice day and get some workin in. Its rewarding to me to be tired at the end of the day from working hard on something I love to do.

My long term goal: I want to finish up the truck and take it on a cross country road trip with my lady. Take it down old rt 66, take it down the pacific coast highway and down as many back roads and roadside attraction that we can find. Thats one thought that drives me to get things done. That and I can't wait till I can cruise to car shows with some friends and a cooler of beer. That would make me most content.

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I don't know if I build cars for the fun of building them, or I can't decide what I want. All I know is I'm always the one building cars and doing the dirty work, it's a curse. I'll build a nice car and sell it for a profit, then build another one. Just got my roadster done. This last week I've just sat in the garage bored of staring at it, not really feeling like working on anything.
    Biggest struggle is stashing money away to get the parts I want, I could use more of that.
    Socially, I really don't know where all the guys my age are at that are into their cars. No offence to anyone, but I'm usually hanging out with guys my dad's age.:confused:

15. oh62fomoco

oh62fomoco

16. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

In all truth, I imagine what it would be like to drive down the saltflats. I imagine I am in a belly tank, and all I can see are the wheels and the front. All I hear is the rustle of wind and the scream of a 4 banger. The feeling of calm that I get from that is unequal. I have never been, but one day, I swear I will go to the salt flats and I will race my belly tanker with a flat inline 4 model b block down the slat and back hope back in my tow car and drive...