Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Cadillac valve covers - development input please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadDaddy42, Dec 17, 2008.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Update on the adaptors would be nice ???

2. I just e-mailed the tooling guy on the valve covers. I'll let you know what he says.

The adapters are going to be made here in the future, as soon as we get the new machine up and running (they are pretty high on the list of things to do, but the 429 tranny adapters are first). At the moment, the machine is apart and I sent a part out to be rebuilt Thursday. Should have it back in 1-2 weeks.

While we're on the subject, I've been thinking about a minor redesign on those valve cover adapters. As they were made previously, quite a few people had issues with leaks (especially with tin valve covers). I'm thinking that making them thicker may be the way to go. Of course, that will make them that much more visible / obvious. Input?

3. He said the tooling is currently 3-5 weeks out on the early valve covers with the rocker releifs. Current ETA is June. I need a set, too... I just sold the last set of Hildebrandts so I have nothing for my '54 :eek:

On the up side, the V16 style finned 500 covers are on the shelf, and there is a set of 500 covers with raised script coming, as well.

Attached Files:

4. Its the 1st of July ;)

Well...?

5. teddyp

teddyp

good luck they look great any up dates?

6. I just e-mailed them earlier this week, and the tooling is at the foundry for the test pour now, waiting it's turn. We should have samples very soon.

In the mean time, another new 500 valve cover...

Attached Files:

7. Harris

Harris

I'm picking up a 500 caddy this weekend, so here's a BUMP!

8. Status update, since we have a bump :)
    The first pair (test pour) of the '50s valve cover (the original start of this thread) was delivered to the machine shop earlier this week. I should have them here for test fitting and pictures some time next week. Assuming everything is cherry, we should have them on the shelf in a few weeks. I'll post pictures and an ETA as soon as I have them.

9. Abomination

Abomination

Can't wait to see 'em!

~Jason

10. Well, as usual, the original ETA was blown completely out of the water :)
    Good news: the early finned valve covers, with Cadillac script, and clearance divots for adjustable rockers, are actually doing something besides annoying me. The first test pair is on it's way to me as of today, for test fitting and pictures. If I aprove them, the foundry will be 4-6 weeks out, and then add in a week or 2 for machining and transport, and I'll have them on the shelf. Pictures will be forthcoming as soon as I get the valve covers in my hot little hands :) I'll be taking down a list (no deposits) of people who want them as soon as I have the pictures posted.

11. METSHAPER

METSHAPER
    from SOCAL

offer them for the early 331 with two top moutining bolts and you will be a hero!

12. hmmm. I didn't even think of that before. I have heard of the early head with different VC mounting, but never gotten my hands on one. If someone wants to loan me a head to measure and test fit, I'll see what I can do. I'll be happy to provide the round trip shipping, and give you a smokin' hot deal on a pair of the covers, if you loan me one :D

13. New News - I got them test fit, and they clear everything beautifully (even the OE Ford and Syudebaker adjustable rockers). We worked on the design quite a bit getting all of the details sorted out, and I'm pretty happy with what we came up with. They clear the bulkiest rockers out there, with room to spare (even some aluminum bodied roller rockers), have a heavy duty gasket flange that will seal up really nice (and not crack around the bolt holes...), etc. They should fit all '67-older 4-bolt heads. I still have not found a set of the center bolt heads to play with, so if and when I get my hands on them, I will see if they can be made to fit without changing the molds.

They didn't come out looking very much like anything vintage that I have found pictures of, so they aren't going to fool any of the hard-core traditionalists, but I think they came out quite nicely, and keep the feel of a traditional setup. Also, that script is the correct early 50s Cadillac script, as licensed by GM for this part (none of that 'sorta similar but not really' stuff here).

I snapped a few pics on the bench - I'll try to get some of them installed in a car sooner or later. Later in the week I should have a concrete ETA and pricing from the foundry, and I'll be taking pre-orders shortly. Trying to work up a pre-order discount, we'll see how it goes. I'll takes names / contact info for a list, but I'm not taking pre-orders / deposits until we have a concrete price and ETA.

Attached Files:

14. Update - Final pricing on the scripted / finned valve covers"

As cast (like the pictures): $295
    Powder coated and the tops of the fins / lettering polished: $415
    Polished: $455

ETA - I don't have a concrete ETA yet, but I did get 'You should have them on the shelf by the end of September'. So I'd say estimating 6 weeks would be safe.

I'm hoping to have the adapters for putting them on the later Caddy engines in production by then, as well, but we'll see.

Clarification: these valve covers fit the '49-'67 Cadillac engines (331 / 365 / 390 / 429) with 4 bolt valve covers (which is most of them). At this time we do not have a version for the center-bolt engines. They DO NOT fit the 472/500/425 engines without an adapter. The company that was making the adapters has gone out of business, and we are trying to get them back in production in time for the launch of these new valve covers. It is the same adapter you would use for putting a stock 331 valve cover on a 472/500 engine, for those of you who may already have them.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Wow those look killer. Could be a whole lotta bling on top of someone's caddy

16. skiffnbuck

skiffnbuck

I've got a set of NOS Hildebrands and a set of the reproduced ELCO's. Cad Daddy: Your proposal is terrific. I, like many, like the deeper fins, u-shaped valley's between the fins(for multiple reasons), Caddy script with the fins all the way across (top n' bottom) + the shortie fins on the sides of the scripts. Lastly: Make them with dimples and usable! That's why I splurged for the Hildies in the first place. Put me on the list for a set.
    On another note, fellow Hambies: Which Chevy rod and piston is the "norm" for internal replacement on a '60 390. Will be looking for app 9.5 Compression ratio with stock crank. NOS Heads have been reworked with 2.02/1.64 Vette' valves and heavy springs. Herbert roller cam with a lot of lift going into it. I know there's a proven recipe that one of you have determined. Help on that count, please. Thanks in advance. Capt Nemo, 803-517-2591, if you want to call in lieu of writing.

17. skiffnbuck

skiffnbuck

I want mine Bling-polished, pleeeze.

18. They are good to go. The first 8 sets (plain as-cast) are shipping to me today (I have tracking numbers and everything), so should be shipping to customers sometime next week. I hope to be contacing the first few people on my list by Tuesday to finalize those orders. The rest of the first run should be machined and ready to go within another week or so. Obviously, moving from the top of the list down, so JT there gets the first set ;)

I will have 1 set fully polished, and 1 set done in black powder coat (being done out of the first batch). They should be ready about the same time as I get the rest of the covers, and I'll post pictures, of course. Standard powder coat colors will be red, blue, and black. Custom colors will be available as well, but I don't intend to stock any coated ones unless 1 particular color proves to be especially popular over time. The other colors will cost a few bucks more, depending on the color choice (some colors are as much as $200 extra for 2-stage metalics).

19. :) Wahooooooooo! can't wait.
    Great looks and no leaks, perfect!

20. Mine arrived this AM, beautiful quality.

Now... To polish or not to polish???

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Any adaptors yet ??? :)

22. Dammit, couldn't resist the polishing machine!

[​IMG]

23. Those are awesome! I can't wait to see them on a matching detailed engine!

24. lawman

lawman

They look very very nice !!!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

25. New pictures, and one from the SEMA show on a detailed engine, just for you Oldgaurd :D
    Should be calling the last of the pre-order list and getting those covers out by the middle of next week. If you haven't heard from me by then, your info probably got buried, and you can either contact me again and I'll get them right out, or I will call you when I find your info.

Attached Files:

26. And the SEMA car... Not my car, and sorta OT, but it's nice to look at :rolleyes:
    Owner's name is Brent if I remember correctly.

Attached Files:

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Any news on the adapters ???

28. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Wow, those are really nice...hope I can afford some one of these days!

29. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

damn fine looking valve cover.