Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chassis Paint Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lsmjamison, Sep 21, 2010.

1. lsmjamison

lsmjamison
    from Texas

I searched for Chassis Paint Threads and looked in Tech Archives and didn't see anyone posting any tips, suggestions, etc. on what kind of paint to use when painting Chassis Parts.

I need to paint the rear end, Front I-Beam, and Frame of a Model A Tudor project. The Rear End and I-Beam have been blasted and primered with Self-Etching Primer.

Any suggestions as to what to use next? I was told to use the Self-Etching Primer by a local shop...

Thanks for all the suggestions in advance.

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Epoxy primer is better on bare metal, very good on chassis. normal 2k is hard to beat as a finish.

3. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

i used por 15 on 2 of my chassis's before. bulletproof stuff that stops rust if applied correctly. both of them were not frame exposed cars however. I've heard por 15 is not UV stable and will turn chalky. but they sell a clear to prevent that I think. check it out at

http://www.por15.com

4. 67goingthing

67goingthing

Rustoleum with hardener. Cheap and works as good if not better than all this fancy high dollar stuff.

5. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

a good single stage urthane works well from your local shop. I've got friends who SWEAR by farm implement paint from Tractor Supply or the like. cheap available and apparently tough as nails.

6. Doktor

Doktor
    from Houston

powder coat those jokers . .. paint is just asking to screw up with in a year

7. ON the dragster i found the cheapest Tremclad available does a super job. Doesnt come off even with gas spills and if I do something to the chassis even a couple years out i can just blow it in with a spray bomb and it looks great. Why the cheap stuff works better than the fancy i dont understand . used to pay 3 bucks a can. it is up to 4 now I think.
    Don

8. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I powdercoated my '32 frame with epoxy primer . Then painted it using PPG , DBC basecoat and 4010 clearcoat . It's been finished for over a year now and it does'nt have any chips . the car has a little over 11,000 miles and roadtrips thru five states and two countrys . It was a little more work and expense , but worth it to me .

Attached Files:

9. humpie

humpie

napa sells an industrial black,used with their recommended hardner it works fine

10. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

we used "Chassis Saver" on the 40 but would agree with the TSC implement enamel--

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

There's no "right answer". Depends on your time and budget.
    Best choices...either powdercoating ( though it's tough, it is harder to touch up, or blend in if you do mods after the coating) or high quality prep and paint (sandblast, epoxy primer and either single stage urethane, polyurethane, or base/clear)
    If your budget doesn't like these options, wire brushing, degreasing and POR-15 work well ( use the silver for a 'primer' and the Chassis Cote as a topcoat) You can even brush them on.
    In between, lots of other options, as suggested by others.