Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ayala-Barris Jack Stewart 1941 Ford RESTORATION has started.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Aug 31, 2010.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

Man Palle,this is great for any true custom fanatic.Looking at these pictures really lets one see how things where actually done and was the acceptable method to arrive at the goal...a badd ass custom!

2. 53chevy

53chevy

This is so awesome on so many levels. A big thanks for updating here on the HAMB and taking us along for the ride. I truly indulge myself in 40's and early 50's Customs, can't get enough. I'm so tired of these restorations that are hush or behind closed doors. Again, Thanks and Rik is the Man! He's like an Anthropologist for true Customs, really! Thanks!!

Ken

3. Burny

Burny

Great thread...Looking forward to seeing more.

4. Look'n great guys! I need to get Jack over here (my house) to checkout your progress. cw.

5. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

thanks guys!
    the rest of the body is being dry ice blasted tomorrow! we allready have the inside of the roof cleaned off..no pics yet sorry!
    but its clear that its hard to find a 10"x10" spot, that is not hammered or worked on on the hole car!
    more pics this coming weekend!
    Craig please ask Jack if he remember what kind of material the floor mats where made of!
    say hello, and tell him i will call him again soon!
    -palle
    [​IMG]

6. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

cant wait to see this back together

7. Gaters

Gaters

Subscribed!! Jack is a long time friend of my dad's (and me too). If you've ever been to his house, all the tile work was done by me and my pop (inside and out). Sounds like you guys have a good contact with him but if I can help in any way lemme know.

I am looking forward to seeing the progress.

8. Von Hot Rod

Von Hot Rod
    from Calif.

I think I have the car plq you r look for. I have a hug collection of plq's i beleave i have that one, do you have a picture of the one you need. e-mail it to me and I will look. [email protected]

9. rainguy

rainguy

Ric ....Brush-on undercoating was tar or asphalt based material intended for rust protection and sound deadning. Veary comenly used as insulation in hot climes. Also used to hide shoddy work before upholstrey went in. Care should be used when removing because some older forms used asbestos as stiffner ...Modern products used glass fibers....Now we use spray-on stuff that comes with spl. gun for app. and the products like 3M BODY SHUTZ for example when dry wont stink on a hot day. BEST OF LUCK to all on this project...e mail me if there is ANYTHING I can help with.....Dick

10. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

That dry ice blasting is pretty cool.

11. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

okay guys..heres the new clean inside! doesnt look that bad at all!
    [​IMG]
    and the inside of the roof..nice work!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thanks for offering your help everyone...next is the missing steel structure. i might get some work done tomorrow!
    stay tuned
    palle

12. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Ah, now there's the kinda stuff we were waiting to see. Thanks

13. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

your right Cleatus..this is the real thing! and the outside looks good too!
    it looks like the new panel fits perfect!
    [​IMG]
    -palle

14. I love this thread, Rik keep us posted.. WOW !!!!

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Palle and Rik,

Probably a boatload of us out here just quietly watching, digging what you're doing, not saying anything. I'm one of them.

Love that blue/gray blasted carbon steel look!

Great thread.

16. The roof looks good. Can't wait to see the top when the paint is stripped. Thanks for keeping us updated!! Very cool thread!

17. geeeez

i hope you have the weight document from the shipping to compare with the weight after removing all the "black shit"sound deadener...
    please post these numbers!!!!

the car will for sure need spring work now to get it back down without the extra weight ....

after all these candid "under skirt pics "or "the raw build stuff"
    i have hope in doing my cars in this traditional way ...... kinda simplify's it really
    best of luck and keep the story going....

18. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Palle,

Looks as if you have a clean canvas to work from, now!
    Those sail panels look as if they were formed on a power hammer, and not a bunch of cobbled together bits & pieces we see so much of today on chop work. California Metal Shaping did early work for Barris, perhaps they formed these for Ayala?

WOW don't even begin to cover it!

" The one thing all nations share is the fear that a member of the family will want to be an artist "

19. Rikster

Rikster

Yes California Metal Shaping did do the work on these top panels, as well as the full Fade Aways fenders and the new hood.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  20. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

21. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

haven't done much work this weekend..still walking around the car, trying to figure out my next move!
    but the car is missing the 1951 plates, so i ordered some copies...
    my lovely daughter emilie!
    [​IMG]
    and the 51 photo! still looking for a brass kustoms plague!
    [​IMG]

22. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hey Palle,i am digging those pics of the clean metal! No surprises on this end,keep it going.Take a vacation and hit it everyday!

23. Palle, keep the updates coming ! way to go !

24. rschilp

rschilp

Wow, look at the passenger side cross member/motor mount, that looks like it got the customization treatment :eek:

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

I agree! Palle will most of the metalwork stay or is there going o be a lot of updating and replacing.

I want to learn more about this process. It looks to have worked terrifically.

Thanks so much for all these wonderful detail photos. There's so much to see and learn.

26. csclassics

csclassics

WOW!!!! Cant think of anything else to say....WOW!!

27. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

it needs a little work ha ha...but a cool thing is that the cadillac flathead mounts are still in place.
    -palle

28. soooo subscribed. That thing is just tops.

29. palle.......Jack just might have another "KUSTOMS" plaque in some of his goodie boxes, I'll ask him this week.

30. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

thanks Craig!
    i asked him, but he wasn't sure. that would be cool, to buy it from the man himself!
    -palle