Register now to get rid of these ads!

Get ready, King Of Trucks is coming...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Oct 1, 2009.

1. fortynut

fortynut

Get yourself a '57 hood. It gets rid of the humpback whale look, and adds a touch of class using the stock '55-'56 grille that has a narrower opening. ('57 front fenders won't interchange with early grilles, and early fenders won't fit '57 grilles.) I built one as a driver. Had a No Limit Firebird clip, 9 inch Ford rear end, eighties Chevy truck rear springs and a 350/350. It drove like a new one. Sold it to my brother. He still drives it. Every time I see it, I regret selling. You are right, they are the tits. If you use Corvette rallies on the rear and Camaro 5s on the front you can go 31 truck tires on the rear and 235s on the front. Cut a coil out of the clip and it dips just right. California rake. Big's n' Littles. Just right stance. And, as has been said, "Stance is everything". JUST SUGGESTIONS FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE. Nothing more. Have fun and do it your way. That's the only way. If you like it, no one else has to.

2. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

anyone ever notch the frame in the front?

3. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I agree, the stock hoods need to be pancaked. I took about 3 inches out of mine. It's all about the stance!

[​IMG]

4. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Franke the truck is notched in the front with a flipped axle. Its what I plan to do to mine to get it down the last three or four inches in the front (and to save some dough).

Do you have a full on side profile shot? Thanks!

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

My buddy Shawn M. hooked me up with two factory chrome wheels in six lug. Kind of rare stuff you don't see everyday. Now I need two more! They're reversed, one is a chevy hoop and one is a buick. That shouldn't matter much as they'll be on opposite sides.

I started a WTB thread looking for a couple more, reversed or stock. They should look nice, but a little rust in the center around the lugs will be ok. Let me know if you can help!

This is what I'm looking for...
    [​IMG]

I finally got the holes drilled in my steps for the exhaust. I ruined my cheap hole saw. But my buddy boobie knuckles had a better one that went right through like butter.

Here's a little mock up action...
    [​IMG]

The exhaust is a little short. I don't know exactly how long it'll end up being. I'm trying to decide between even with the back of the truck or a little longer. This week I'll be working on getting the exhaust buzzed together. This exhaust is a prototype made from crush bent aluminized steel. After I'm happy with it, I'll copy it in mandrel bent stainless steel with the outside parts you can see fully polished.

These wheels are gonna look awesome with some shannon cones or push through bullets and bias ply wide whites! I can't wait to find out how awesome! Soon...

6. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Here you go, terd;

[​IMG]

7. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Rock and Roll man - that is gonna looks so killer.

8. Shawn M

Shawn M

I've got a tire machine here at work!
    That mockup is like a cocktease...... I must work at being patient, count to ten slowly

9. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Baloney cut the end of the pipe just before the end of the bed (safety man - that way no one burns their arm on your pipes).

[​IMG]

you dig?

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I dig. But I got something tonight better than fried pork chops! Pics soon...

11. AD

AD

thats thing is gonna be great' , really wanna see this one come through for you bro' NO JINX

12. Rain_man

Rain_man

truck is looking good i like the exhaust pipe along the bed

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh god please do not even consider pancaking that hood. It's just not right....no offense.

Chrome steelies are going to look good dude. Definitely need a taller tire out back I think.

What about your new pipes? No pics of that yet?

14. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks fellas!

You know I like a relatively stock body. Del is helping me work over the brackets tomorrow night for the pipes. And that should be the end of that chapter.

15. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I finally got the exhaust all finised up last night. Thanks to hotdamn! for the help! I went in a little different direction than I had planned. But only because a buddy came up with some old junk that's been hanging in his garage for thirty years. N.O.S. mini lake pipes. They fit the steps so perfect and are so awesome, I had to use them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are just a couple of quick pics. I'll get some better ones up soon (with righteous tires). It sounded really good before, but now it sounds absolutely PERFECT!

This shot shows the pipes a little better but illustrates how badly the front end needs to be brought down 3" to 4" more...

[​IMG]

OMG, the sound! Awesome comes to mind. It raps better than Rakim. It makes my pants tight. I'll try to post a video in the next week or so. I thought briefly about mounting them just behind the front fenders, but the curve and the length matched the steps so nice it made better aesthetic sense. And the sound wouldn't be as good with the much shorter pipe length up front. And it would have been hella loud right in my ear under the driver side door.

I'm checking out a couple of sets of tires in the next week or two. So keep your fingers crossed!

***Still looking for a pair of 15x6 or 15x7 six lug factory steel weels in chrome! If you can help me out, let me know!***

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  16. The kickstand pipes look rad dude! Great call!

17. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Very Nice Senior Terd..... I dig'um!

Happy Trails,

~Berta

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

"I take advantage....till the crow goes bananas. What a rush, I lust to touch Microphones be clutched by the Illustrious!!!"

It sounds like that?

19. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks fellers! Have you got a thread going for that digger yet?

More like...

I was a fiend before I became a teen. I melted microphones (trucks) instead of cones of ice cream.

You should hear it. You'll dig it. Its more refined and it raps way better. There's a couple more u bends on each side plus it points to the ground. Probably four more feet of length counting the pipes. Delton was jealous. :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  20. yea no shit.

That orange truck looks pretty bitchen except for the hood that looks like somone dropped a stack of plywood on.

Totally messes with the lines.

The belt line goes along beautifully... then downhill like a bad boob job.

Please... for the love of god... don't do it.

Sam

21. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Oooooohhhhh Terd......

No thread yet but I gotta tell ya the Pile O Shit is mounding.... So is the history... I will begin the data download here shortly. I'll have almost 75% of the parts by November 1st. I'm trying to wrap my head around how and when I'm going to start putting the shit together...

Film at 11:00

~Berta

22. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

We're all waiting........:D

23. 57 3100

57 3100

wow. those mini lakes look pretty darn cool terd.
    how is your rear lowered ? im in the beginning stages of flipping my rear on my 57, and am hoping i dont have to notch the frame.
    is yours notched ?
    thanks man
    leonard

24. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

haha! Hey, I'm not offended at all. To each his own. I don't like the stock hammerhead look of the hood, so I whacked it. I like it better this way, I think it gives the front end a lighter look.

[​IMG]

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Leonard,

Thanks bud. The rear is 4" dropped mono leaf springs with 2" dropped shackles. Should be 6" lower than stock or thereabouts. The rear fender edge sits right at the top of the wheel. There is no notch in mine. I have about an inch of travel. It never hits but I never haul anything either.

26. 57 3100

57 3100

cool man. thats what im shooting for, the fender setting right at the top of the rim. and i know i will never haul anything in mine either, so hopefully i wont have to notch it either. i do remember though, with the original 7 leafs in, it rode pretty stiff going down the road and didnt move much at all.
    i should hopefully have it back together by next weekend and see where im at...... then it will be onto the front drop...
    thanks for the info.

leonard

27. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Very cool, I have always wanted one of these trucks.

Definately need a boat. "It's two trucks, sammichin' a boat."

Power that thing with a 450 big block!

28. gardenjeg

gardenjeg
    from nc

Ha Terd that exhaust is cool. That's the same thing I did to my truck man. We're on the same old 55 truck wavelength.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  29. 57 3100

57 3100

very cool.... are the pipes running outside the frame, in the door step well area, or inside the frame by the tranny ?

leonard

30. gardenjeg

gardenjeg
    from nc

Ha checked out your album last night nice truck. My wife and I hope ours turns out that nice. The mufflers are along side of the tranny then turn out.