Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I get a vin# for my 36???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lct1621, Sep 21, 2010.

1. lct1621

lct1621
    from Ga

I bought a 36 ford from a guy that said he had the vin# and all the paper work, Now that I have spent countless hours and finally got in touch with him again he has "lost" it... Now what do I do? do I buy a 36 fram and use that vin? Or do I have a $45,000 mistake on my hands? I sure hope you guys can help me... Thank you for your time...

2. fat tire

fat tire

Sounds fishy to me. Apologies as I'm stating the obvious here but I certainly would not fork over 45k to someone without 1st seeing the paperwork.

3. If it doesn't have an original frame I'm going to say that you have a 45,000 mistake on your hands.

At that price you can hire a lawer it is going to be beyond small claims court. But you should be fast on the draw because you can't get grease out of a peach.

4. lct1621

lct1621
    from Ga

I didnt pay $45,000 for just the car... Its kinda a long story but I bought the car for 16500 as a project, the guy had something going on ad didnt have the vin with him (its a custom frame, but he said he had an original vin to go with it) then of course he stops answering his phone for a few months, since the car has been kinda in the way and I enjoy working on it I have been buying things like the engine, trans, wiring, ect ect... and building it up thinking for some reason he was going to come up with it, now that it runs and is somewhat mobile I want to put insurance on it but you of course need a vin... I finally got in touch with him (I called from a new number) and of course he says he lost it.... I tried to call the company that made the frame and they are out of business... Im lost on what to do next.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

check your state's laws they have procedures for this in most(if not all states) here in IL. you have to do a bonded title and the state will issue a new VIN

6. lct1621

lct1621
    from Ga

I tried to contact the state about it, but because the frame is custom ad has no numbers on it they said it needs to be complete and road worthy before they can inspect it... its still going to be a few months before it is totally complete and ready to go on the road... I want to put insurance on it to protect my investment, but cant right now... do I just gamble that nobody will take it till then?

7. Until you get a vin, you should be able to insure it as a pile of parts, add to you home owners policy

8. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

9. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Why do these threads keep coming up. It sounds like a kit car to real car paper syndrome to me.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From now on it should be mandatory for anyone who intends to ask'
    How do i get a vin?
    How do I title my car?
    Where can I buy a title?
    What do I do now because the state says my title doesn't match the vin on the car?
    To send Ryan 25.00 before being allowed to ask said question.

My question is, why would anyone in his right mind pay 16500 for any vehicle and not get a title or a notarized bill of sale then and there? Let alone spend another 30000 on the car before attempting to properly get it in his name.

If it were me I would type up an official appearing bill of sale listing the description of the car just as it was when you bought it. List all of the major parts that were on the car when you bought it from him. Custom frame, body, Engine, trans, rear end, wheels and tires.

Make a place for him to sign and a place for for his address and a place for the notary to stamp and sign and then I would track him down and haul him off to the notary and have him sign the bill of sale and have it notarized. Then when you have the car up and running and safe go get it inspected and get a bonded title. In my state that means a three year wait before you can apply for a regular title.
    There are other options that may be a bit shady but you have probably thought about those anyhow by now. If I was trying to title a 40K car I would jump thorough more flaming hoops than a circus poodle to make sure things were done right and I had a legit title when I was done.

11. lct1621

lct1621
    from Ga

Look, I know some people think this is funny, but its really not... This is my first build and first hot rod. I admit I was nieve with all this thinking he was going to come through, but he didnt. That sucks and I shouldve handled it differently, But for now the situation is what it is, I am simply looking for help from a bank of people that seem to know what they are talking about, not ridicule... I guess from the outside I look like a dummy, and feel like one right now but again. Im just looking for advice from people that know about these things...

12. Just buy another damned original frame with a good serial number on it and be done with it. Learn what your state people will look for and make the thing so it's up to snuff for their requirements.

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

LCT they can be kind of hard on new guys here, dont take it personally. Its not the end of the world you are just going to have to go thru whatever the GA DMV requires. its no different than if you were building a fiberglass car from scratch. For now keep good documentation of all receipts and records you have. I would take pictures as well documenting the build there really isnt anything else you can do about it now. Did you get a bill of sale when you bought it? As for insurance talk to your agent and see what they can do. also use the search function here there is a huge amount of information here just take the time and look for it.

14. lct1621

lct1621
    from Ga

Thank you a ton to everyone that has helped out, at least I have a since of direction now...

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I hope you got a bill of sale from the seller? If so take that along with all the receipts for everything, no matter how small the item is. DMV loves paperwork, and they will be more likely to issue a VIN once it's done and you show all your receipts.
    My state (Oregon) actually wanted to see my car before my project started, and issued me a VIN number based on seeing the vehicle and my paperwork.

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

No such thing, an original vin belongs on the original frame. See the thread title "Someone stole my vin".
    www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514380

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  17. historynw

historynw

In Ny the State Police will inspect and tag a car that has no vin. or is made up of parts.

18. 007fab0

007fab0

I found this last night here on the HAMB, his name is Rich 909-821-0262 [email protected] he can get vin plates, and reg tags. look him up, ( I partout chevys!!) is his call name here. Hope this helps... Shawn..

19. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Exactly. If the seller had provided that VIN and you used it, he/you would be stealing a VIN.

Go back to him, get a bill of sale detailing all of what actually exists and proceed with assigned title process. Any state wants to register your car and collect the taxes. Go to DMV website, select the category that best fits your situation and apply for a new VIN, just do it the way your DMV wants it done.

20. lct1621

lct1621
    from Ga

Okay, so Ive been calling the guy o my car for some time now and on the last voicemail I left I told him I dont want this to get ugly, I just want the numbers to my car. He FINALLY called back last night laughing at me saying there is nothing I can do, I informed him that since he put on the bill of sale that he would mail the vin plate and never did, and now doesn't plan to that thats theft by deception and since its over 500 it a felony, I think its funny that after that, literally 4 min later he called back and thinks he knows where all the info is for the car.... At this point I don't know if I should trust the dude, and I'm not sure the vin is correct at this point... should I trust this guy at this point or should I just say screw it and continue going about this my own way?

21. Weasel

Weasel

A letter to this dude from an attorney, formally requesting he come up with the paperwork as noted on the Bill of Sale or face legal action may do the trick - a cheap 'investment' IMO....

22. mrrocket

mrrocket

Get whatever paper work he will give you. Call your DMV officer and set up an appointment, sit down with them and make sure what he gives you is legit. Make notes on all your dealings with him from the past till now. Have a lawyer go over ait and make notes so you have proof of intent. If the DMV says "no go" get your lawyer.

23. russd

russd

i wouldn't wait for him. get the ball rolling on your end.

24. i agree

25. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

For North Carolina.
    I talked to a N.C. DOT license and theft bureau inspector and told him my situation.

I showed him all my paper work i had from the purchase and he told me he could get a NC vin number stamped on my car within 1 month, which he did.

But after that i had to apply for a NC indemnity bond which took another 2 months.
    but now i have a clear NC title.

its not hard...just really alot of paper work and time.

26. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

He fooled you once. Are you asking if you should give him a chance to do it again? :eek:
    Like Weasel said, let an attorney talk to him............