Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bill Jenks of Moon passes on

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rolleiflex, Oct 8, 2009.

1. rick finch

rick finch

R.I.P. Bill:( Heaven has quite a race team goin' on!

2. autobilly

autobilly

Although I never met him, I suspect that guys like Bill Jenks "need" to work at what they've always done, it defines them to a large extent. The fact that he died just one month after retirement ads creedance to this theory. Either way, the world has lost another legendry Cam Grinder. RIP Bill Jenks.

3. I met Bill a few years back while visiting Moon. He was welding tanks together on that home made contraption in the back when we went in the shop. We talked to him for an hour or so. He was telling us about the old drag strip that was where LAX is now. To hear him talk about all these old buddies and aquaintances of his who are now hot rod legends was mind blowing. So cool to get these stories first hand from someone who was there instead of just reading about it in a book! At that time he was telling us his grandson was learning the trade. I hope he stuck with it. It would be a neat legacy to carry on.
    We asked him if we could get a picture with him, and some of the guys got him to sign some Moon stuff. He seemed quite humbled and almost embarrassed by it. Neat guy! Rest in peace Bill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

RIP Mr Jenks

5. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

You know whats weird, I met Bill 12 years ago when I lived in SoCal. I took him the cam out of my 392 and we talked about the car and expectations. Ive had nothing but problems getting this engine to stay together.

But today after chasing an intake water leak, we fired it up and it runs perfect!!!!

This blower motor sounds bitchen. Franco and I are driving to Bakersfield, leaving next week.

Maybe he's watching over this, maybe not, but it happened to come together today.

R.I.P.

-Jason

6. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Rest in Peace Bill, rest in peace.

7. knotheads

knotheads

Moon was the local go to Speed Shop.as a kid i used to ride my bike to Moon Equipment and get moon eyes decals so naturally when i built my first warmed up small block chevy for my 64 nova, i used a moon hyd. cam. the cam clattered like a solid lifter cam, so i talked to Bill about the problem he explained that that particular cam had a very short ramp on the lobe and that was the noise i was hearing. he had me bring my car in the next day. we tore the cam out of the nova. he reground my cam and gave me new lifters , provided gaskets and help putting the nova back together. he also taught me a faster way to adjust hyd lifters.i drove my car out of the shop before lunch that same day.Bill stood by his product and made sure a customer was happy with the product. there arent nearly enough men of honor anymore and we just lost another one. R.I.P. Bill

8. Big Tony

Big Tony

Another good guy gone...RIP

9. badnews 31

badnews 31

10. RAY With

RAY With

I hate to see so many icons in the trade pass. This has been a bad year for all the great people we have lost. Bill had a sincere love for the craft and that type of man can never ever be replaced.Prayers out to his family members.

11. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

God speed Bill.

12. It's sad to hear of Bills passing,we are losing all of our legends the history an stories of the past.I'm thankful that we all have the HAMB to continue our love of hot rodding.R.I.P Bill you will be missed!!

13. jeb scolman introduced me to bill when i was shooting pictures for my first issue and he was just a great guy. also mentioned he had hoped to never grind another cam as long as he lived. he followed that up with a loud laugh. great guy. RIP.

14. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

15. R.i.p. Bill . It was your skilled hands that made parts for our car.
    We are truly thankful for that.
    Top ten hotrods and customs frank & ken

Attached Files:

16. Another good `un gone.....Rest in peace Bill...

Condolences to the family.

Rat

17. banjorear

banjorear

Wow, he truly was a great guy. Humble and always willing to talk. He liked Henry's old lump of iron as well. We will certainly miss him.

18. McFly

McFly

19. grower98

grower98

thanks for all the very kind words about my dad.....to clear some things up, he retired because of his health...he had c.o.p.d., emphasyma,asbestosis...some of it caused from breathing cam dust from the grinder all those years...and of course, he got hooked on cancer sticks and never really could stop....he and another famous welder,joe ivy, tore down an old building back in the 60's, unfortunatly, it was full of asbestos...he was terminal for a year before anyone in the family knew....thats the way he was....didnt want anyone to worry....he did the same thing in the korean conflict...was injured on the line but refused the purple heart because he didnt want anyone back home to worry about him......a very humble man....he was also a man of his word as many of you know.....he LOVED his job and i dont think he would have gone out any other way, other than dying over his famed cam grinder that he brought up to moons after chuck potvin sold the business.........coming up on the first anniversery of his death(oct.3rd)...we all miss you a lot dad....R.I.P. always your son, mike

20. Nice tribute to your Dad, Mike
    Godspeed

21. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

COOL GUY FOR SURE!! When I worked for Moon Bill and Fred would just sit around and BS all day and get paid for it. Although they were employees the acted like the owners.

22. 38pickup

38pickup

23. Met Bill twice and he was a gentleman both times.

RIP Bill

24. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

A legend for sure.

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hey Mike....Can you still feel your Dad kickin' ass? I can. He walked with sore feet from kickin' so much ass. Wish I could sit down with him again.....