Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 Lowering Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sickboy_13, Sep 21, 2010.

1. sickboy_13

sickboy_13

Hey guys,
    I have a 61 Ford F100 that I am going to be lowering soon. I have read through the old threads about some options, particularly the the axle flip method as well as getting a dropped axle made. My question is can you do both? My initial feeling is that with the 4-5" you get by doing the axle flip and the 3" you would get from a dropped axle would create issues, but I am still curious. I want to get the truck as low as possible while still retaining stock suspension components. The back should be no problem with the axle flip, but the front has me a little curious. Thanks for your help in advance!

2. choptvan

choptvan

THe only problem I see, is the oil pan getting fuct up. I did the axle flip on mine up front and out back. Real low. I do not want it any lower actually. If you do both, do one or the other first, then decide if you want to do both. It can be done for sure, but will it still be driveable? I dunno. BRake lines might be an issue? I am unsure?

3. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

You will never get the bump steer out of it if you go that low. Even if you raise the steering box, I don't think there is enough room to go that low and not run into major problems. I got 6" out of the front of my '64 with a Sid's dropped axle and dearched leafs.

4. sickboy_13

sickboy_13

Yeah...those thoughts are kind of what I was thinking too. How about doing an axle flip and then removing a leaf? Think that may be doable?

5. Depends entirely on how "driveable" you want it to be. My '53 had de-arched springs in the front when I imported it , I drove it like that for about 6000 miles and then one day after a 6hour drive I admitted to myself that I was "over it" and took it home and fitted Jaguar IFS.
    I'm not saying IFS is the best option for you - but be aware that as soon as you start moving your axle ( either the flip or the drop axle) you are introducing bump steer . Even when they are dead stock the front end geometry is a compromise.

6. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

[​IMG]

filliped axel with pulled leafs

7. You could do it, but why? The axle will be on top of the spring pack, and that will determine you ride height. Or am I missing something?

8. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech