Register now to get rid of these ads!

Explorer rear disc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 325w, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Anybody heard of using Explorer disc on a nine inch rear. ???????

2. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

Fairly common swap and the brake set up is the same that comes in the Ford Motorpsorts disc conversion for the 9 inch from what I have seen.

3. Check the offset on your rearend. I believe the explorer is 2.5"

4. Any idea what year explorer rear would be needed to get the disc off of ??

5. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

95 and newer Explorers(Exploders) had the disc rears. Those are also the 31 spline 8.8's that came in either 3.73 or 4.10 and usually limited slip. They've been a common swap for jeeps for awhile and starting to creep up as a common swap into cars.

6. I have heard the caliper sticks out further then some kits and to watch wheel clearance, anyone else heard this? Maybe something to do with 16" wheels factory?

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I think the rear brake setup will bolt right up to the torino style housing end, others will require backing plate modifications.

8. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

I have 15" wheels on two Explorer disc rears here. I haven't run into clearence issues with several wheels.
    I vaguely remember reading backing plate mods were needed for early 9" housings but cannot find the article.

9. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

It bolts right up to the "late" ends AKA Torino ends. I modified some Explorer parts and fitted them to a '59 housing. It is a great, cheap alternative to those pesky hard to find 57-59 drums.

10. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

I had one under my 66 Fastback but we shortened the long side and had the axle cut. That way the pumpkin was centered and it fit under the narrower car.They are the correct width for the 67/68 though.

My Dad's 56 Chevy also has one under it but stock width. We did have the shop redrill the axles and rotors for the Chevy lug pattern though .

They can be bought real reasonable in the junk yards and from other sources and with the 3.73's and 31 spline axles as well as the disc just make for an inexpensive swap.If you look around some of them have trac-locs in them too.

I have another one set aside for my 56 Ford if I end up building it but haven't checked the fitment on that car yet. I think it will be fine though.

11. ECIGUY

ECIGUY

VERY small diameter pistons, they need lots of line pressure. That's the reason for the manhole cover size booster on the OEM installation.

12. Anyone tried to fit them to an 8" rear?