Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rickkane, May 7, 2008.

1. rickkane

rickkane

I agree its probably overkill but we needed a way to get the booster out of the way of the engine in case the engine had to come back out (which it did) and get the pedal over where I wanted it. I had this portion of the work done and it was cheaper buying a complete unit and sticking it in vs. paying my guy to put something together as he went along.

2. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

It looks like the shoebox is going to a killer ride,nice mods and very nice chop,well done. keep us posted on this build..please.

3. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

Thanks Rick

Exactly as I suspected.... Don't get me wrong the Pedal Assembly is a work of art.....

Hoping to see you do some coverage of the fitting of the stainless trim on your quarter windows...

Rich

4. rickkane

rickkane

Fitting the quarter windows is the next big item. I think mounting the windows will be a bigger problem than fitting the trim but I could be wrong.

5. rickkane

rickkane

I took it to a local shop with a Dyno to get it tuned. I could kick myself in the ass for not getting pictures. After about an hour of tuning and working on the Holley, we did 2 pulls on the Dyno. The second pull was 190 horse and 250 ft.lbs of torque at the rear wheels. Power drops off after 4200 rpm. I'm very happy, especially the torque number.

6. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

Whats the plan? Fixed, Kick Out or Up & Down

I would figure that fixed glass would be the easiest.....

Rich......

7. rickkane

rickkane

Probably fixed. I'd prefer up and down but I dont think I can do it with the slanted B pillar.

8. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Great lookin Chop.

9. Davester

Davester
    from PDX

Is that a Kaiser grille??

10. Davester

Davester
    from PDX

This one.

Attached Files:

11. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

hey Rick,any updates?

12. rickkane

rickkane

I thought i'd post a quick update. Heres what the car looks like today.

[​IMG]

I've installed the rear windows, inside door handles and ash tray. I also had to put an electric fan on it. It ran fine on the road but the minute I stopped for a light or something it started to climb. Put the electric fan on and problem solved.

It will get the power windows pretty shortly and I'm going to pull the E303 cam out of the motor and plug in a Mustang Gt cam into it. I like the E303 but I'm not getting enough vacuum for my brake booster

13. rodknocker

rodknocker

man that turned out sweet.

14. 68Caddy

68Caddy

I agree with that. I am in the process of cleaning up the cuts after my chop. More info on the glass work would be Awesome!

15. rickkane

rickkane

I'll pull out the rears and get pics of them. Right now the inside trim is holding them in by a pressure fit. I'll need something more substantial. I think my big problem on the door glass will be interference with the bearclaws. I've got to see how that will work. By the way I have 4 stock window regulators ( one for each window) that I wont be using. If anybody wants them they can have them for the cost of the shipping.

16. shoebox50

shoebox50

Its looking good.

17. 68Caddy

68Caddy

Looks great, did you sand down the old glass?

18. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

It looks great.

19. rickkane

rickkane

No, the old glass went away a long time ago. This car sat in a local warehouse for a long time.The owner turned down many offers to sell. I asked him one day if he would sell it. he said no but if he was to sell it he would want $3500.00 for it. I pulled out a roll of hundreds and started peeling them off. He backed off quick. Same old line, he was going to restore it. He wasnt a bullshitter, but I knew he had probably 5 cars in line in front of it he was working on. He wouldnt live long enough to get to this one. Then a hurricane hit and leveled his warehouse. The 49 made it out in one piece but the side glass was broken.

He later visited the car when it was getting chopped and said he was happy he sold it because somebody was doing something with it. Another guy who owned it back in the 70's showed up to watch the chop too. I have no clue how he found out about it, but it was his name on the title when I bought it so he was on the level.

20. EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

hahahahah some one got caught ! lmao chuck!

21. EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

hahahhah thats funny! that was My Emperor brothers car ...... il foward the huey dewey pic to him hahahahah

22. rickkane

rickkane

Just thought I'd do a quick update. Due to lack of funds and also because I've been working in Naples Florida which is the armpit of the earth I haven't gotten much accomplished. I had to change the rear gears, I had a set of 3.00's which were howling like a banshee, so I had to go back to the 2.79's for a while. I wish I had a 9 inch instead of the 8 inch that's in it. Gears would be a lot easier to find. I put an overflow tank on it and got the cooling straightened out. Last but not least I put moons on it. I cant believe the noise they make when you hit the reflectors in the road. The first time I did it I thought the driveshaft fell out.

[​IMG]

23. billys54

billys54

24. Great job Rick, a lot of time and effort you put in it and it came out so nice,,,Sam

25. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

can you measure the front winsheild and tel me how tall itis
    thanks

26. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

im really looking forward to seeing the end results on this one.

27. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Got a profile shot?

28. Seems like way too much work to achieve a chop that isn't,IMO, an improvement over the way....let's say,Chris Casny chopped his. Don't like the way it looks with the "hump" taken out above the front window. Kinda like when guy chops a Merc,straight down,then lay the A-pilar back. Looks terrible to me!

29. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Came out nice I think, it would have to be parked next to a shoebox done the regular way to see a huge difference I think. I too think that was a ton of work for minimal reward, it would be awesome to see them open the windshield frame up to match the other glass, that looks great on shoeboxes.

I don't know what the drama was about who did/built/chopped/whatever your son's old shoebox, Bad Bob, but that, in my book, is still my favorite chop on a shoebox. What a perfect look to it.

30. rickkane

rickkane

Sorry for the late response Ive been in a room with 8 lawyers since Monday 9am till 6 pm every day. Then a 1 hr drive home. I' m drained. Thank God I'll be spending tomorrow morning with a shot gun in my hand and then roasting a pig in the afternoon. But back to your question. The windshield is 11 inches high.

As far as the negative comments about the chop all I can say is "whatever". It would take a team of tracking dogs to find my interest in your opinions. Its my car and I like it.