Register now to get rid of these ads!

a stumbling 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hunt11, Sep 19, 2010.

1. hunt11

hunt11

looking for some help on my 63 chevy c10. The truck runs at idle but after it warms up and u drive it at about 45-50 mhp it cuts off and struggles to start back up. I have rebuilt the carb and changed it over to an H.E.I system. it"s a 283 motor with a rochester 2 bbl. anyone out there know WTF is goin on fill me in.

2. plugged fuel line and/or filter? bad fuel pump?

3. shootingmonkey

shootingmonkey

This sounds similar to a buddy of mine. He had aftermarket headers on a SBC in his car that had a 2bbl on it. He would always have trouble cranking it back up after the motor had warmed up.

What we finally figured out was that the headers were too close to the starter, almost touching. He ended up putting a mini starter on it ad it has been good to go ever since.

Good luck.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did you do the carb and HEI at the same time ? How did you wire the HEI ? Can you get fuel from squirtters in carb when this happens ?

5. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

interesting, I am going to watch this thread, I have a similar problem, same motor, basically same set up, mine coughs on excelleration and I have to kind of feather the peddle to get it to act right until it clears up...... I am curious what you find out here hunt11

6. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I'd replace the coil. It might be failing when it heats up.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yours is the excelarator pump in the carb.

8. next time it happens get out of traffic and as quickly as possible try to isolate whether it is an ignition or fuel issue.

A little squirt can of gas along for the ride would help. Jump out, pull the air cleaner and yank the throttle. Look to see if the carb squirts. If it doesn't, give it a prime with the squirt bottle and see if it starts.

carry a spare spark plug too, and when it acts up, jump out and pull a wire, stick the spare plug in and check the intensity (or absence of) the spark while trying to crank it over

9. 55chevr

55chevr

I agree with both of the above posts ... you have something wrong in the fuel system ...

10. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Pickup element in the HEI's breakdown identically like you're describing (the wires pull out or crumble with age and years of movement with every advance/retard). I've had it happen countless times. Ignition module can do it as well but plan to disassemble the distributor if it's the pickup element.

11. also make sure the coil has the ground strap under it and that it's hooked to a good external ground.