Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any out there using those new china made 300 buck plasma cutters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old bone, Sep 19, 2010.

1. old bone

old bone
    from maine

Looking for a plasma cutter on e gay yesterday and came across a buch of china made brand new 50 amp plasma cutters..any one out there have any luck with them...are the consumables readily available?....my buddy who is a serious fabricator says just try to find a decent used name brand one like a lincon or a miller...but for 300 bucks its too damn hard not to think about em....so any experience with these china units?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

mine going on a year it works ok up to 3/16 after that its not so good

3. acosta

acosta

Hi guys,

Is the plasma cutter you are considering 220 or 110? Does it require air, or does it have a little compressor on board?

I had a Thermal Dynamics Dragun that was a 110 V, no-air required machine, but it would struggle with 16 ga sheet metal. I didn't like it.

On the other hand, if you are able to accommodate a 220 V unit, I recommend looking at HTP. I have an HTP MicroCut 400. It's not a 300 dollar unit, nor is it a 1500-2000 Lincoln or Miller-- but it is right in the middle at $850 (at least it was two years ago). Learning about the company helped me make the decision to buy: HTP has been around for 20 years, has an impressive line of welders, and has a 90 day money back satisfaction guarantee. Each of those things convinced me this was a company that would be around for parts and consumables, and a company that wants happy customers. Being nice on the phone doesn't hurt, either.

As far as the cutter, it is awesome. I've had it about three and a half years. I can fly through 1/4, clean cut 3/8, and sever 1/2... I've only had to cut 1/2 three times, but it sure is empowering for the issue to come up and think, "Yeah, I can cut that".

HTP also has a 110 V unit, which might be suitable for you if you likely don't foresee needing to work on frames or brackets.

http://www.htpweld.com/index.htm

great,
    Hope this helps,
    acosta

4. Crestliner

Crestliner

Just keep in mind, is there anything made in China thats worth bringing home. Save you money and buy USA products.

5. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

is there anything left that isnt made in china?

6. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

nope... I think they are trying to corner the market on everything....

7. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

There is a guy in the ST Louis area who sell "plasmadyn" he has a bunch that the connections are miss marked. he was selling them on epay but got run off cause of the complaints. I would recommend you buy a USA or European made(cebora) but it's your money. mine is a 25yr old Cebora.

8. old bone

old bone
    from maine

what brand is yours and is one that is 110 and 220v?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

10. I bought a Hypertherm about 5 years ago.... no problems,,,worth the money I have a big miller at work 1 inch is no problem....

http://www.hypertherm.com/

11. i have an Everlast power ultra 205 combo unite 50 amp cuts verry nice
    it has a 5 year warranty $ 895
    50 plasma 200 amp dc tig 200 stick
    other than a shipping problem
    www.everlastgenerators.com

i also have a 225 LX series tig ac dc also verry nice welding
    i had a thermal dinamics that gave me trouble

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Have you been living on the Moon? China has market cornered.