Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found in oil pan...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NWGreaser, Sep 18, 2010.

1. 69fury

69fury

the instant i saw it, i thought timing chain roller-maybe from previous chain- you said the inner cover was scarred. I suppose it could be a zero bushing-but i'll bet you a coke that's timing set related.

rick

2. I think its way to thick walled for a head locater also

3. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

Someone started making it into a Mexican block?

4. dprodder

dprodder

I had a friend that worked at a Ford plant. Cars for foremen were always marked on the line. Unpopular foreman often had "rattlers" such as ball bearings installed inside frames etc in order to help correct their deficient personalities.

5. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

So their livers will be OK if they swallow the penny on purpose?.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is that a fixed bet ? There both timing related if you think about it. :rolleyes::p Its ok I like Pepsi better. :D

7. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

And my DR. told me my liver was fucked up because of my drinking not from the pennies I ate!
    Now I'm confused. Hey beer-bender give me another drink

8. Truckedup

Truckedup

The part is from a SBC...........

9. BigChief

BigChief

...too small to be a head SBF head dowel.

10. 61TBird

61TBird

4 pages and the "Power of the HAMB" STILL can't figure it out?:eek::eek::eek:

Man,you Guys have REALLY disappointed me...:rolleyes:

Call me Freakin' Columbo!
    Not only can I tell you WHAT it is,I can show you what more than one in the Oil Pan looks like....

It's from inside the Lifter. DUH!
    Check your Lifters and I guaran-freakin-tee the small retainer clip came off of one and what you have is from "inside" the Lifter.
    (notice the similarity in the top left piece in the pic below and the first pic from NWGreaser?)
    [​IMG]

Here's what 4 shattered Lifters and pieces of the #4 Piston look like.
    (This is from my 390 when I grenaded it in Mojave....)

[​IMG]

11. ScottV

ScottV

A buddy of mine bought a rebuild 440 Mopar for a ride he had. He was going to just drop it in and hope it was good. I talked him into pulling the pan to check things out and he found, most of the rod bolts where not torqued, 3 were only finger tight, one main bolt was not even finger tight and one had fallen into the pan. When he went to take the bolt from the pan he found it, 2 beer bottle caps and a watch !!!

12. 61bone

61bone

Musta been timing it when they gave up. hence the watch.

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Can you also guarantee to the whereabouts of the pushrod seat? The suspect part is tubeular, besides being about half the size.
    Its back to detective school for you.

14. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Looks like a red X to me, what happened to the original pics?

15. Not buying any of the "Guesses" yet. To thick for a head dowel. Not the right size for a timing cover dowel either. Looks to big for a Lash cap, not to mention it is missing the top if it were one. Looks to big and thick for a Timing chain roller, plus it sounds like this thing is pretty stock so it probably had a link belt type chain not a roller anyway. Not right for a timing gear offset or locater either, should be solid. And certainly not a broken part of a lifter.
    MAYBE an oil pump shaft collar, only how it could have fallen off is a bit of a mystery.

16. This one makes a lot of "cents" to me :rolleyes:

Working in Ford dealerships years ago, some of the techs would find all kinds of stuff in new cars where it didn't belong. . . combs, bottlecaps, screwdrivers etc in oilpans..... empty booze bottles in doors and under rear seats. . . notes stuck to wiring under the dashpanels. . . extra parts under the trunk mats. . . All kinds of stuff done in the plants or on the assembly line.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Im/we are not refering to the locating pin. Yes pin is solid but a bushing that goes over pin is hollow and is placed over the pin. These bushing come in differant offset. They come in packs of 5 and start at 0 degree then each one after is plus 2 degrees after each other. As stated above and as I said before it dont have to belong to said engine, it just there.

18. BJR

BJR

Look again at his picture, his doesn't have a groove in it!

19. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I dont remember any locating collars in the front cover on a SBF. Its too small to be the one for the heads.

The penny thing is funny but seriously this guy is looking for some help and all he gets is smat ass comments.

Next time put it next to a pencil or something other than a penny.

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If your refering to me I know that. What are you trying to describe so we can understand better.

21. Harleydrjr

Harleydrjr
    from Nebraska

I'm with 69fury. Mainly because he has a sweet avatar. But DEFINATELY timing chain related.

Is it hardened?

22. 69fury

69fury

Thanks for the agreement/compliment but, um................getyerownavatar lol

:D

that looks like a zero degree timing gear bushing to me- or maybe a chain roller from a previous chain. Remember the whole comment about the GROOVE ON THE INSIDE OF THE TIMING COVER?

rick

23. kisam

kisam

Kinda looks like a block bushing that holds the lower part of the oil pump shaft? Is the diameter the correct size for the shaft? I am not sure if your engine has this.

24. NWGreaser

NWGreaser

Thanks for all the input guys. So I have done a little more inspection on the motor and come to the following deductions: The timing cover has no alignment dowels nor provisions for any I can see, Definitely not a head alignment dowel (way too small), and the timing chain is intact and the mystery part doesn't resemble anything associated with the timing system as far as I can tell. The oil pump retainer suggestion I will look into tomorrow, and I will take a pic of the interior of the timing cover to show the score mark. Thanks again.:)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  25. Spooky

Spooky

BAM!

Nailed it!

ROFLMAO!!!!

26. 69fury

69fury

check the cam gear near the cam snout. if the cam gear has a hole for the cam dowel that is way to big to be right, then that is were an offset or zero bushing goes. If yours is there, then a previous one may have fell out.

-rick

27. NWGreaser

NWGreaser

Sorry about not getting back to this thread earlier. I have a 9 month old and went on a month of 10 hour 6 day work weeks. Here's the pic of the inside of the timing cover. Not just a clean spot but a slight graze into the aluminum. All your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

28. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

i'm still trying to figure out how he got the penny down the dipstick tube:D

29. robleticia

robleticia

No finger for size reference?

30. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Check the back of the timing cover, the lower bolts holes seem to have a provision for some type of an alignment sleeve, perhaps one on each side, its possible that it may have been a part or a bit of a modification from a dipstick sleeve, what's the condition of that, the dipstick seal and sleeve? If you bust a timing chain or gear you get that tatoo. Not a lash cap, not a lifter component, not a stock timing gear part, not an intake water port guide, possible that it came off of the bottom of the distributor. I have to get a chance to look it up I'll get back to tis thread.
    The fuel pump rotating assembly that attaches to the cam or timing chain has a hole in it the same size as the outer diameter of the part you have, perhaps the cam or timing gear had a smaller pin and this bushing overcame the diameter difference. Still looking for more possible things.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010