Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Falling in love again. New barn find Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Pete

Pete

Buick make the best customs! They already have graceful lines and super chrome!

Pete-

2. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

You might want to consider using a more modern version inline motor. I don't know if it would fit, but a 300ci Ford six would move that car around just fine. I'd take some measurements and see if that would work. F-100 and F-150's are readily available around here and some came with 5-speed transmissions. Yes it is a truck motor setup but if it fits inside that hood it'd be easy access easy to work on and donor's are inexpensive and plentyful.

Just my thoughts ...
    Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

3. My buddy had one in stock form and it floats down the road...get 'er back on the road and enjoy it...those Buicks are perfect platforms for mild customs. Nothin' like those big toothy grilles to scare the guy in front of you outta your way...enjoy it and drive it asap!

4. those are swell. id say Nailhead for sure... did I miss something or am I just seeing things... is the rearend way too far forward or is it just me?

5. Abomb

Abomb

While a nailhead would be great, since you don't have a drivetrain at all, and it sounds like you may be on a bit of a budget, I'd consider a later model Buick, 350, 455, whatever you can lay your hands on cheap. Find a cheap 70's Buick boat and remove everything you can use, engine, transmission, rearend, seats for foam to rebuild your 50's seats (if they need it), take the hood for patch panel sheetmetal......basically rape and pillage the donor, then scrap the rest.

I used this method on a $500 56 chevy wagon, using a $500 1977 Monte Carlo driver, and ended up with a $1200 56 wagon. Sure, it was a beater, but it was fun.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. greaser

greaser

Congrats! That's a great beginning!
    If it were mine, I'd put my money into getting it safely on the road. That's a lot of inertia there, good brakes are mandatory. A good running straight 8 would be cool, with dual carbs and a little chrome. Frame mods are not necessary. Mildly customize and add cool interior over time as you drive it!

7. ken1939

ken1939

It depends on who the 350 pound woman is :rolleyes:

8. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

How about a 350 Buick? Get it going and stopping and drive! I don't dig the rattle can paint I'd rather see it like it is cleaned up and used. IMHO blowing it apart to upgrade and clip it on a zero budget might be a bad idea?

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with Abomb an Kwookyh in that a 350/ or 455 Buick out of a early/mid 70's car would be a good and inexpensive way to go.

A 350 R out of an Olds makes a good runner too and you don't have the oil filter issues that you have on on the 350 Buicks and they did put those engines in Buicks sometimes.

On that car, unless the front end is just flat worn out I'd probably leave it and just lower it and get the car running and driving. If It was shot I think I would be looking under the mid 80's GM metric cars (Monte, Cutlass, Regal to see what might be the best option.

10. whitlock

whitlock

That thing is cool! Where did you find that?

11. Roger S.

Roger S.

Buicks...gotta love 'em!
    Take your time and make it yours!

Attached Files:

12. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I also had a 1950 Riviera(56R) that I sold ayear ago and replaced it with 1950 special sedanette. The staight eight is a great motor. Take your time and put in another staight eight. 1950 was the only year for the 9 teeth grill. Good Luck!!!

13. Nice buick! I was gonna sell mine but I decided I am to deep into it just to let it go. I was running everything Og. But the rear end went out so I swapped it for a 70's camaro rear end. Then the Damn tranny went out and they wanted over $2,000 to rebuild it nope i dont think so.The straight 8 I had worked on getting it running good but just a pain to find parts for it to expensive. So I bought a rebuilt 350/th350 for $1,000! Now I am waiting for some Parts to come in the mail so my buddy can help me make some motor mounts for it. Then the rear end will get bagged as well after i save up. But I am keeping the front end stock maybe upgrade later to disc brakes depending on the handling or what not. I really would of loved to keep everything Original like the Straight 8 and dynalow and all but hey to expensive for me. Gonna be alot of room for the 350.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  14. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I agree with Abomb. You can usually find a beatup later model with a running and driving 455/TH400 combo. For cheap.
    Nailheads seem to becoming a little more expensive and a little harder to find parts for at the Chain Parts stores.
    Get that thing runnin and drivin, then start makin it a custom.

15. ikeaboy

ikeaboy

Congrats on the new ride. I'm looking for something similar. Just in case you need a little inspiration...

Attached Files:

• air4.jpg
      air4.jpg
      File size:
      465.7 KB
      Views:
  16. any updates on your buick?

17. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Wow! Thanks for the pic ikeaboy! I have since bought a donor and pulled the 350. The 350 trans was shot so I think I will find a 700R4. I put a visor on, seats in, polished the grille, and talked with Wrecked Metals about motor mounts/ trans mounts / rearend. I'm lovin the hell out of it but it's still a long way from running.

18. Norwegian 49 Mercury

Norwegian 49 Mercury
    from Norway

So I just brought home a new love. I realize that many say that they have barn finds. This big girl actually came out of the barn. I am still in the planning/dreaming stage and I don't have any money so this stage will last awhile. I am trying to decide between finding a donor clip (cameroish) or doing like a TCI suspension. I think that bagging it would rock but the money thing scares me a bit. I've never been down this particualar road and want to do it the right way but want to drive it sometime in the next 10 years. Any input from fellow HAMB'ers would be appreciated.

Why fuck up a good lady with fancy surgery?

You cant make a young girl, out of a old lady...

19. Stock, rebuilt front suspension...you'll be bucks ahead in the long run and very satisfied with the GREAT ride. Nailhead with a 200-4R and a late modle GM 10/12 bolt rear. You can even use your Stock shift lever/quadrant and use a cable to hook up the shift linkage...and a nice interior...

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Obviously neither or you guys know that the year of the clip that was put in Buickmike's '53 Buick makes a difference on how "wide" it is. Take a lesson here. True, some Camaro (and Pontiac Firebird & Trans Am) clips are wide...but the earlier clips, (68'-'72- Camaro & Nova) with the rear steer work wonderfully in nearly any GM swap...the later clips '72 and up) are too wide.

And even tho this thread is 6 months old, my advice to you, Bikertrash, would be to rebuild the stock front suspension and put disc brakes on it...that's cheaper and less work. But if you do decide to go sub-frame, find an early Camaro or Nova, it'll work fine.

If you'd like to see my '55 Caddy, with a later Trans Am sub-frame, go here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

R-

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  21. roddinron

roddinron

You're getting a lot of good info here. But you say money's a problem, so I'd forget about bags and get it on the road with stock lowered suspension. No offense ikeaboy, but personally, I think that photo shop looks like shit.