Register now to get rid of these ads!

Checker Taxi Cabs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Plymouth51_cc, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Plymouth51_cc

Plymouth51_cc

My dad is a big fan of the Checker Taxi Cabs does anybody have any pictures of them? I found one I might buy here soon and restore for him.

2. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Shouldn`t be hard to find with Google images.

3. This is about the only one I've ever seen fixed up.

Attached Files:

4. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Search for Checker Marathon. That is their proper name. I want one so bad.

5. lewislynn

lewislynn

I always wondered what drive train they used.

6. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

[​IMG]

My friend and I found this one last winter. It is an Aerobus. The guy had a whole ton of other Checkers but wouldn't sell any of them because he thought they were too far gone to fix :( I've fixed worse but he was pretty set on it. He had some nice ones stored in his warehouse.

7. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Mostly GM power. Early Checkers used Continental engines or Perkins diesels. I've seen them with GM inline sixes, v-6s, and small block Chevies all from the factory.

8. retromotors

retromotors

Don't know about the early ones, but I think the later ones were all Chevrolet powered.

9. calorchard

calorchard

10. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

A flash from the past ! I did the graphics and lettering on that about 10 years ago . It's still running around Orange County .

11. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

There was one when I was in high school a "few" years ago that was black with white walls and full wheel covers. I always saw a lady driving it. Then there was one owned by Yellow Cab that was two fronts joined together. It was comming and going.

12. HSBC bank has one that drives around Manhattan and gives free rides to people who are HSBC customers. Just hail it and show your bank card.

13. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

well it just so happens my buddy has a few of them and i snapped a few pics yesterday!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. scuppernongwine

scuppernongwine
    from Atlanta

I bought and sold one recently-posted it here but the mods didn't know that it had the same body style since 1962 and kicked off my ad (mine was a 78) Mine was John Deere green and had been truly been owned by a little old lady! She was even cool enough to do some minor mods like 59 Caddy tail lights, mags, etc. Cool car!

15. scuppernongwine

scuppernongwine
    from Atlanta

I bought and sold one recently-posted it here for sale but the mods didn't know that it had the same body style since 1962 and kicked off my ad (mine was a 78) Mine was John Deere green and had been truly been owned by a little old lady! She was even cool enough to do some minor mods like 59 Caddy tail lights, mags, etc. Sweet car!

16. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Heres one form Glacier Nation Park I shot last week, getting beat pretty bad smokes like the dickens.

Attached Files:

17. lewislynn

lewislynn

I don't know why but to me they sounded like IH V8 pickups.

18. Plymouth51_cc -

There's over 360 pics of them in the "Checker (Taxi Cab Aerobus Marathon Medicar)" flickr group album ... Just click the pic below:

[​IMG]
    1956 Checker Model A8 Taxi Cab (Checker Motors Corportation Factory Photograph)

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Is this the one out of the Barry White Shop? Different for sure, but I can't get on-board with a Checker, even if they are Chevrolet undercarriage and power train. Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. I read an article years ago, said they were basically a '55-'57 Chevy under the beautiful( ;) ) skin.

21. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I just recently heard that they used '56 Ford suspension in the Marathon to the end. I can confirm/deny that the next chance I get to look under one.

-KK

22. Rod Ari

Rod Ari
    from Finland

Those later type Checkers are cool cars compare to vehicles you see on the roads nowadays. On our country there´s a group of guys who got the older model A2 restoration on it´s way. Here is their site: http://www.checker.fi/index.php?lang=e Strange language but if you click "GALLERIA" you´ll find pictures from the past and present. When that car has been restored there can be possibility to buy some of those A2 projects if somebody´s interested. If somebody knows part scourses I am happy to transmit info to those greybeards. One of those guys even have drivable, registered and unrestored A2.

I´ve heard there´s only under 30 that model Checkers left. Most of them are just bad wrecks and maybe 2-5 drivable. Someone may know that better.

There´s even one, maybe the only one ever customed A2. Here´s a short story about it on: http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Arvi_Hänninen's_1949_Checker (I hope it´s OK for Sondre to add this link).

the reason to edit: typos (which I found)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  23. Dieter

Dieter

Hi Guys,

there is quite a lot of Checker activity on Facebook:

Look here, there is a great collection of pics and videos:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=145497838799022

And that is my Checker, the only one in Africa, known as the Cab of Good Hope::eek:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?g...pages/Cab-of-Good-Hope/111690158886136?ref=mf

And another one:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=145497838799022#!/profile.php?id=100000381555097&ref=sgm

Checker it out and join the groups!

Cheers :)
    Dieter

24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Yeh ...
    [​IMG]

Howzit Dieter. Where in CT are you?

25. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Checker also would make and sell marathons to the general population.

my friend bought one they were basically the same but had different glass configuration the family sedans had a lincoln looking opera window in them.is the side of the rear roof.

26. [​IMG]

I used one of these when I was driving for my buddy's limosine service.

I'd put the customers luggage in the back, walk down the side of the car and start to open the door to get in only to find out it was the door behind the drivers seat...

The customers would get a kick out of it. (I finally started counting the doors before I'd get in)

27. thebugbox

thebugbox

My dad used to work at a taxi stand (??) when he was younger. He said basically they could come with just about anything under the hood / skin! He said, much like 70's Jeep did, they'd use anything that was surplus from the big automakers (aka CHEAP). He said some of the new cars of the same year didn't even have the same radiators, much less the same engine.

28. Checkers had the Continental engines for the gas up until about 64 If I remember right. After that the went to the Chevy engines.

Heres a buddy of mines 62 Marathon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010