Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 Chevy, fork in the road

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike805, Sep 17, 2010.

1. mike805

mike805

Hey guys. I recently picked up a 52 Styleline deluxe 2 dr. It's got a 5" chop, it is bagged on all four corners with the stock front end and a Gambino Tail dragger kit, and a 350/350 combo. This was all done by the previous owner (contracted out by him anyways). I have been working my ass off trying to get it running and roadworthy (it needs all new windows, finish wiring, wheel wells, driveshaft tunnel etc.) I finally got it drivable the other day and drove it to the muffler shop. What an experience!!! the brakes are horrible and I couldn't get it into a parking spot in less than 3 attempts. Going down the road, it was all over since the PO didn't install shocks or have it aligned.

So here is my dilemma....I am considering going to a mustang II based front end. I have narrowed it down to the No Limit Engineering kit, Scotts Hot Rod, or Fat Man Ultra Low. My reasons are this: I figured by the time I upgraded brakes, got the dropped uprights to get the last couple inches needed up front, and rebuilt the whole thing (thinking this might account for some of the front end sloppiness) I will be pretty close to what a kit costs anyways. I'm sure I could sell the stock bagged front end (I have no idea what it would be worth, if anyone has an idea, please let me know).

I would like to know the following:

Does anybody have any ideas on the cheapest way to keep the stock front end and upgrade the brakes/steering? I would love to keep it but the way it felt today was downright DANGEROUS!!!!

I would like to know any opinions on the 3 kits I have listed by people who have them. I know this has been covered and have found several posts in the search but I'm looking for a pros/cons for the kits in comparison to each other (especially the No Limit and Scotts. There are several older posts regarding the No Limit from an installation stand point but no road time). The No Limit is on sale with 10% off right now, bringing the power rack setup to around $1,800. the Scott's is around $2,400 but maybe I can get the "Show price" since they are in my home town (I think it would be close to $2,000. I'm not sure what the Fat Man kit would run, I spoke with Alex Gambino and he was thinking around $2,000.

Sorry for the long thread but I feel I'm really close to getting this thing driving and this is a major hurdle for me. I'm hoping all of your guys' experience will help me make a decision. Thanks, Mike

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not sure if anyone else but FATMAN makes the ultra low, but if not that is the way to go. it's close to 2" lower than a regular style crossmember. the crossmember welds directly to the frame rails and no riser in between. I'd post a pic but I am not set up to do so right now.

FATMAN recommends no power rack. remember racks steer with much less effort than a conventional box.

as for the stock suspension, I'd "part it out" on ebay. sell each individual piece in a separate listing. I even sold my used wheel bearings. not sure what has been cut up on yours for bags, but one with all uncut parts could bring a couple hundred at least.
    I got over 300.00 back before ebay started to suck, but I sold a lot of 49-54 parts so I may have had people watching my listings more than a regular seller.

""My reasons are this: I figured by the time I upgraded brakes, got the dropped uprights to get the last couple inches needed up front, and rebuilt the whole thing (thinking this might account for some of the front end sloppiness) I will be pretty close to what a kit costs anyways.""

eggs-zactly. and you still have that slow steering. I think that is the worst part of these front ends.

3. mike805

mike805

I have gone back and forth on the power non power rack deal. Several people have said that it is much easier to steer that the stock set up. Why do they recommend no rack. I'm not opposed to a manual rack, I just don't want to skimp on anything if it makes a big difference (plus I was thinking I might actually let my wife drive this one, at least when I've had one too many). Is there a big difference between the manual and power rack as far as steering?

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I take that back. FATMAN recommends manual racks on 40's and earlier. and they are using 79-93 Mustang power racks, which are less sensitive than 74-78 racks on 50's cars, big block applications and trucks.. I just took a look at my catalog. I'd suggest getting one if you haven't already. some good info in there.

I don't like them more for the hassle of all the pumps and hoses and extra brackets and fan belts on the motor. my daily driver is a 76 Volvo, which is a heavier car than a person might imagine, and I like the way the steering feels.

5. mike805

mike805

I do like the cleaner install of the manual rack. Less things to go wrong I guess. I was told the T-bird racks also worked well (that was from Scott's Hot Rods).

6. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

chev's of the 40's has a program to buy good used front end parts. http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/
    they are located near Portland Oregon. just a thought.

7. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

My 50 has a Fat Man crossmember with tubular A arms. Also has 11" GM brake conversion. Rides great,handles good and stops with no power assist. Power
    rack that steers easy but not too sensitive. Cant compare with anything else but I'm very happy with everything.

8. mike805

mike805

How long did it take for the Fat Man intallation? Would you go the same route again or with another company?

9. mike805

mike805

I'm leaning pretty heavy towards the No Limit kit, price is pretty decent with the discount. according to other members here it sits plenty low. Still torn on the power VS manual rack situation.