Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Got to fly a BT-13 today..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Has nothing to do with flying one but Evans "BT-13" service station and repair shop was just outside Salt Lake City years ago.

Mick

Attached Files:

2. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The old Convair/Vultee BT-13 was a handfull. Kind of heavy for a 985 P&W. Their cruise wasn't a long way from stall speed. I think Vne was 160 mph but you'd have to be in a shallow dive to get there real easy.

3. That's funny! We had a gas station just south of Fresno on 41 that had the same set up, BT-13 on top, also when I was growing up there was a place called Bruces Lodge right off the 99 south of Fresno that had the tail end of a BT-13 sticking out of the roof like the plane had crashed there. The place burned down in the early '70s but the sign is still there although it has been covered with a banner that says "Jesus Saves". I know BT-13s sold for $350 after the war, a lot of them must have ended up as ornaments when the people who bought them found it too expensive to feed one. ;)

[​IMG]

4. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Max speed in LEVEL flight is 182 mph. Max DIVING speed is 230 mph.

5. How much fun is this.
    Glad you enjoyed the ride.

6. Specifications (BT-13A):
    Engine: One 450-hp Pratt & Whitney R-985-AN-1 Wasp Junior radial piston engine
    Weight: Empty 3,375 lbs., Max Takeoff 4,496 lbs.
    Wing Span: 42ft. 0in.
    Length: 28ft. 10in.
    Height: 11ft. 6in.
    Performance:
    Maximum Speed: 180 mph
    Ceiling: 21,650 ft.
    Range: 725 miles
    Armament: None

7. jetman

jetman
    from n.c.

dad owned a 13 for about a year . 1949 . got lots of rides . it was loud and obnoxious for a 6 yr old. never got over it. he finally had to get rid of it, the oil bill was about the same as the gas:cool: