Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering spring questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robtech, Sep 16, 2010.

1. robtech

robtech

ok...so these may seem dumb...i just want to make sure i've got this correct before i go looking. basically nobody makes lowering springs for my car (65 bonneville) and im going to static drop for awhile while i get everything together for a full bag setup...so i've heard a few people say they got their spring specs and then cross referenced the moog catalog and found something that worked.

moog catalog for universal springs
    http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal_coil_springs.asp

now just to make sure i'm measuring my springs correctly. im pigtail both ends (as opposed to square and tangential)

installed height (measured on a flat surface of course)
    [​IMG]

inside diameter
    [​IMG]

and the upper mounting point, just to verify you agree im pigtail on both ends
    [​IMG]

thanks in advance for the input...just want to make sure i order the right stuff

2. squirrel

squirrel

Looks to me like you have it right. The "installed height" is useful for comparing the "load" numbers...for two springs with the same specified installed height, the one with the higher load rating will actually make the car sit up higher.

3. robtech

robtech

ahhh thank you sir

4. robtech

robtech

so my installed height is 10.5"...my inner diameter is just shy of 3.75...moog doesnt make any springs anywhere even close to that in pigtail pigtail...their shortest is like 11" installed...lame

5. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

In 1959 my old man bought a new impala. He had a machine shop make dropped spindles for the front and they made rear coil spring pockets up in the body that let the top of the coils go up higher into the body, thus lowering the car. they cut out the area that the coil touches and use a pipe that the coil fits inside of. whole thing was no more than 4" off of the ground and rode smooth like it was never touched. Total price in 59 was $ 500. go for the coil pockets. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. squirrel

squirrel

I was wrong about the inside diameter, it's the inside diameter of the large part of the spring, not the ID at the end (pigtails make it kind of strange). So look up springs with 5.50 ID and pigtail type 5.

Stock springs (without a/c) is 5257, with a/c is 5331. Both have a load height of 8.0" The only other spring they list with this ID size and type of pigtail, is the one for the station wagon.

(I'm looking in my 20 year old paper moog spring catalog)

Looks like you're going to need more info than the catalog has to figure out what springs to try. They don't list the pigtail dimensions, unfortunately. And it looks like the online catalog does not list a lot of the older springs any more.

7. robtech

robtech

so tell me how horrible of an idea this is...the pigtail at the the top is barely anything and the top where it sits has plenty of room...what about just lopping a coil off the top? think it would shift around too much? its not like this car every gets airborne or the suspension unloaded to unseat the spring...keep in mind this is all temporary while i get my bag setup ready to go...

8. squirrel

squirrel

The way it sits in the frame, you could probably get away with it.

9. robtech

robtech

thats what i was thinkin looking at it...it doesnt really have anywhere to go as long as i dont become airborne...and if that happens my spring coming unseated is the least of my worries

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^ im not sure its a good idea to chop those.^^^
    Not cause theyre coils, but cause they only have 4 loops. It will be bouncy as fk!
    40WILLYSCRAZY idea is pretty good, ive done that to the rear of my car b4 bags and it rode mighty fine w/ stock eight springs but just 2" from the ground!

11. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

just curious.....have you ever tried a place called coil spring specialties? thats where I got mine (for a 1950 Chevy) They had all the information on file (original specs) and I ordered them 4" lower. They had the same spring rate as originals. Worked great! Maybe give them a try. www.coilsprings.com

12. robtech

robtech

Thanks leadsled ill def check that place out!

13. robtech

robtech

if anyones curious they quoted me just under $200 for rear springs so you have an idea what you'd be looking at to go the custom spring route...

14. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im thinkin its too much for a static drop.
    If you can do your own fabrication the sunk coils is the best route.

15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You can go to a local spring shop, and they should be able to fab you a custom set, if they are good.
    If not, PST, the polygraphite suspension parts people sell lowered springs in 1,2,3 in lowering specs.
    Last time I got some, it was about 125 for rears, 200 for fronts.

16. robtech

robtech

im gonna do the fabrication once it comes time to do hydros...i'd really just like to keep spring swapping as simple as possible...wouldnt want to modify somethin that could mess with gettin my hydros setup

17. Tony

Tony

Just for the hell of it have you checked to see if Impala and Bonneville chassis's are the same? they are both B-body platforms and if they are you can use lowered springs for an Impala in your Pontiac..
    I know they make dropped springs for 65-66 Impala's, just not sure if they would give you the drop you are looking for, if they would work at all.

Tony

18. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

call st.louis spring they can make em up cheap with the stock spring rate and for a lower ride height.

19. Take a torch and collapse a couple rounds. Took us about 2 minutes per coil. After all it is only temporary.

20. Like this. Took less than ten minutes. Front and rear. Not sitting in the weeds, but a hell of a lot better than before.

Attached Files:

21. robtech

robtech

good thinking tony...def worth looking into!

special sam...personally i think cooked coils are unsafe so i wont do it but i agree it will lower ur car to the height you want.