Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

This is a picture of my 58 chevrolet FI. wagon the picture was taken at island in 1967. the pIcture is poor but its the only one i have. This car was stolen from the Sunoco station we have in middletown N.Y. on RT.84 now RT. 211. Sept. 1967 the kid lead the state police on a high speed chase. top speed on the car was 91 mph.[513 gears] the kid lost control of the car in Montgomery NY.Ran the off the road in some ones septic system and got stuck. he also blow up the motor. the headers were open and the tow bar was still on the front. ROBERT

Attached Files:

2. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

With a 5.13 gearset, it's obvious why the dumb kid blew the motor. I'm suprised it lasted him that long.
    What happened to the car afterwards?

3. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

Kurts I can not remember what i did with that car i know i took the Fuel Injection and drive train out of the car sold everything but the FI. unit . sold the the FI unit in the mid 70's I still have the air breather. I would think it's worth some money today? When the car was stolen i had already ordered the 68 camaro Z 28. that i was going to race i got the camaro in october 1967. I raced the camaro last part of the 67 season. ROBERT

4. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

Rich Biebel This is a picture of my brothers 68 SS NOVA at island. he towed my camaro to island that day and raced. ROBERT

Attached Files:

5. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

markyac,
    I think Joe had the G/SA National Record in 1969 with the 62' Model 440
    Dodge Wagon 383/343HP Dual-Quad.
    Ran H/SA in 1970 (10.50 - 10.99 wt/hp).
    Didn't he also run in J/SA for awhile with the wagon.
    switching to a 361/305HP engine combination ??

Pc

6. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

56 PONTIAC There was more to the story about my stolen 58 chevrolet wagon but i was told it was not a good idea to post on the internet.it's even more bizarre. ROBERT

7. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

There's a nice article on DragRaceCentral about 'Journal - Jr.Stocker' contributor Dave Bishop and his cousin Tim.

It follows their start in Jr.Stock through today's "Stock" Eliminator car.

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=214999

Congrats you two!!

Larry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  8. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I thought they were brothers untill I read that writeup today.....Dave does photograhy in Division 1 and also once ran a S/C Circuit series for a while.

At Indy Last year Tim won class and was DQ'ed in the barn because NHRA could not clearly read the numbers on the piston tops......The pistons were kind of old and the tops get erroded as everyone knows....He was legal otherwise and everything measured good......Seemed like a rediculous way to be tossed especially with what goes on these days in Stock and Super Stock......I was glad to see him win even thoguh I don't know Tim.....I do know Dave and have bought lots of pictures from him and he also produces East Coast Auto Racing News......the company I work for advertises in it....

Tim Bishop and Dave Wentzel both won events this year and both were stick shift cars......Cool.....and I should have kept my LT-1 Firebird Stocker and put a Jericho in it.......Now that would have been fun....at least untill the $$$ and enthusiasm ran out....LOL

9. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

Thanks for those posts Bill, Wow ... I forgot just how slooow some of the class winners went -- methinks a few 'bye' runs. And I wonder about some of Cecil's strange (NHRA?) classes ("A/B" ... "N/F" etc.).

I'd still really luv to revisit some of those wonderful blow-by-blow quasi-literary 'mini-melodramas' that were chronicled in 'Drag Times,' 'Drag News,' and/or 'Mid-Eastern Drag News' during the late 60s. Some of the scribes (obviously) loved the Junior Stockers, so they would vividly describe (for instance) a Friday night N/SA class final just as if it was the final run in a best outta five between Garlits and 'The Frantic Four' (Weekly, Rivero, Fox and Holding). Those sure were 'da-daze.'

10. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

markyac,
    I have to go through all my old Dover stuff.
    If Joe ran 'Trick Tank' in Super/Stock, it would have to be classed in
    SS/JA (with the 383/343HP dual-quad), or SS/LA (with the 361/305HP),
    in 1971 or 1972.
    At the 71' Summernationals he ran in J/SA. If it was "Trick Tank', than he
    or whoever was driving it claimed a 361/305HP.
    The H/SA class got a little crazy their in 70' and 71', as well as the SS/JA class in 72'.
    Those 383/343HP dual-quad 62' Plymouth and Dodge wagons no longer had the advantage.
    Paul

11. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Frank,
    What a difference a year makes question.
    In 1967, the 62' Dodge Model 440 3-seat/9-passenger Wagon, with the 383/343HP Dual-Quad would fall into the wrong-end in B/SA (9.50-10.59 wt/hp) with a 10.51 wt/hp factor.
    In 1968, with the new class breaks, it was a perfect fit for F/SA. See Bob Burkitt and Joe Kenney (In 1969, they ran G/SA).
    Paul

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  12. Brainbeauolds

Brainbeauolds

1969 Berejik Olds 442 W-30.

Attached Files:

13. 460stang

460stang

when i was a kid this car belonged to my brother bill wetzel who had bought it from don webber aka "UNC" we have allways wondered if it was still around after all these years..if its still forsale could some one point us to who has it now and where its at,, thanks...

14. biscaynes

biscaynes

send WGuy, Verne, a PM, i'm sure he has their contact info.

15. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Colesy,
    Just great stuff on the 1967 results.
    PRICELESS.
    Especially one Frank Nash out-running Grumpy Jenkins for SS/C honors at
    Island on 9/24/67, with an 11.68 in another S/S Camaro.

The Super/Stock classes were just getting under-way. Not too many low times
    there.

PC

16. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Mike,
    Ace's 1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 427 4-speed had a Tri-Power unit.
    It was a 427/400HP engine.
    His uncle owned that small chevrolet dealership. That engine combination was not available as a regular order form.
    But he got one, and had factory/dealer paperwork on that to allow him to run in D/Stock in 1968.
    Maybe it was another one of those "Paper Cars".
    All black, and came with 4.10 gears from the factory.
    15" Rallye-wheels with red-line tires.
    The car had those (3) simulated vent louvers on the hood.

In the picture from 1968 that I e-mailed you, you can see it classed in D/S.
    The 427/425HP car would be classed in C/S.
    The 427/385HP car would be classed in E/S.

Anyone else ever see a 67' Impala SS427 with the 400HP Tri-Power?
    pc

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  17. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

It had to be a local "Track" deal as the 427/400 was not a legal stocker in the Impala. Back in that time NHRA required 500 units to be built on the assembly line to be a legal stocker. Stuff like this happened all the time at the local races. It sounds more like a "Snow" job to me. :eek:

18. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I did that with a 440 Dodge R/T at Lions Drag Strip..Ran at OCIR or Irwindale it was M/P because that engine 440- 6 pack wasn't available it the Coronet R/T in 1969, only the Super Bee and Roadrunner...but at Lions I could run D/Stock.

19. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

X-Tech Man,
    That 67' Impala SS 427 with the RPO-L68 Tri-Power did run at a local track.
    No NHRA-sanctioning stuff.
    But that combo was still questioned, after he won a couple of Class Trophy's.
    Somehow got it through with both paperwork and the 67' Chevrolet Impala SS
    brochure/manual with the Tri-Power unit shown as an option.

I would never question your technical knowledge. But how did the 67' 427/425HP L-72
    SS Impala's classify in NHRA Stock class, when only 17 of them were built?

pc

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  20. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Good question.....Probably because of the prior year avaliability (Cossey)?? set the standard? Maybe GM said they were building more but havent finished the run? A lot of cars were approved but they never made all 500. What bit him was the fact that just about everyone knew GM never put the engine in a big car. It was Corvette only. He got it OK'ed by a local track because daddy owned the Chevy dealership. A lot of cars (GM, Ford) were shown in a manual or brochure that never got built. 67 427 Mustang comes to mind at the moment.

21. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

QUOTE=56 Pontiac I/SA;5665427][​IMG]

Thanks for the nice staging-lanes shot 'Brainbeauolds' and welcome to the thread!

Is anyone able to I.D. the 58 Pontiac, in the lanes, next to the Berejik Olds?[/QUOTE]

It is Dick Baker's 58 in the background!! Also I'm fairly sure the guy in the sunglasses is Ron Garey, and it looks like Loyed "Woody" Woodland is the third guy from the left with arm at his waist. Dont know the other two? can anyone else identify them?

22. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

More (69 Olds) Smothers Brothers team cars here-->

http://www.69olds.com/smothers.html

[​IMG]

PS: Images on the (above) site includes a great starting-line shot of the 'Good-Intension' 57 Chev!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  23. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Mike,
    Ace said that the RPO-L68 Tri-Power unit was proposed for the 67' Impala SS 427 in 1966, before the 1967 production year.
    The 400HP Tri-Power combination, though added to the brochure and service manual, was eventually cancelled.
    Too many complaints from the Corvette division.
    But if you knew the right code and Zone office rep, you could get one.
    pc

24. vistacruiser67

vistacruiser67
    BANNED
    from KENTUCKY

25. vistacruiser67

vistacruiser67
    BANNED
    from KENTUCKY

26. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Anybody ever notice what's wrong with the Olds Dick Smothers is leaning on? It has a '69 front end and a pair of '68 doors! The vent windows went away on hardtops in '69 and were only on post cars. It has '68 stickers on the fenders and what appear to be '69 Hurst Olds wheels. Check out that front tag----maybe the car is (was) just mocked up for show and demo purposes. Until next time.....Dave.

27. vistacruiser67

vistacruiser67
    BANNED
    from KENTUCKY

28. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Am I the only one who notice the '68 vent windows on Dickie's '69? Did a '68 get updated or was there some obscure advantage to running '68 doors?

29. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Does anyone have photo's of the California Ad that featured Goldie Hawn and
    Judy Carne in a 69' 4-4-2 Oldsmobile.
    ????

30. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Colesy,
    Saw one, October 8, 1967 at Connecticut.
    Ken Gonsalves in F/S.
    Ran down our way several times.
    Ran a 1961 Chevrolet Impala 4-speed with a 348/280HP Tri-Power.
    One Killer-car, as long as the drivetrain held together in that 3700lb. beast.
    One of the loudest stockers. Had some set of headers.
    Ran a 13.93 @ 98.36. Not bad for F/S in 67'.
    pc