Register now to get rid of these ads!

OK, what the hell do I do with this one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T.W.Dustin, Sep 17, 2010.

1. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

So with the economy in the dumps and bank repos littering AZ these days, my wife and I picked up a little shack up in the hills where we can go beat the heat in the summer. It's something we always wanted to do and now was the time. So we decided to sell our travel trailer that we kept up in the mountains cause we don't really need it anymore. Problem is nobody buys much these days so I decide (being a car guy) that I would entertain trades. Well this guy calls me and eventually I go look at his, he looks at mine, and we agree to make a swap.

Here's what I am dragging home. I didn't really ever plan to buy a glass car, but I guess I have one now. I think it's worth more than my trailer was worth and it's a heck of a lot easier to store. Obviously it will never be a traditional hot rod, but I believe there is a chance to finish it in a tasteful way and it could make a fun daily driver here in the valley. It has been under construction for 19 years, so the kit is a 1991. The body is a Classic Motor Carriages body, which, aside from all their problems in the courts appears to be a pretty nice body. The glass is much thicker than others I seen. It has a stroked 302 (never fired) and a C4 auto. It comes with everything to finish it except carpet and paint. Part of me wants to move it on down the road, but another part of me says why not finish it? If I do I would finish it myself in my garage, including paint. Any ideas? Am I crazy?

PS - this is not my garage (I wish it was).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fenders and running boards molded to the body and the grill shell is too wide and looks nothing like a original,,,don't sink too much in it and get in over your head,,,

If I were in your situation I would send it on to someone that wants it. HRP

3. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

I love that year, and I love the stance and rims, sounds like a fun street rod! Maybe I'll see you cruising it throught the East Valley!

4. skirtless33

skirtless33

Do it you're not that far a way from getting it on the road.

5. oldpaint

oldpaint

Get rid of it as fast as you can! You will find they are not in high demand. I wouldn't waste my time or money on one.

6. mustangsix

mustangsix

I would get it running, spray it satin black, and flip it to the next owner.

7. darkk

darkk

MAN!!! tough crowd. Doesn't look to far from finished as it sets. I'd finish it up and drive it till the wheels fall off. Some of the cars in this forum ain't all that either. I don't know why people have to be that way. Just enjoy it...my .02's worth

8. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I agree w/ darkk! So it ain't steel or real, still could make a nice ride!

9. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Flat black it, throw on some red rims and put spiderwebs all over it. Then sell it to some kid with more money than sense.

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

I like it. Finish it and have yourself a nice driver.

11. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

This is exactly what I expected, thanks guys - I want honest feedback on this thing. I know it is not like an original, but I only have a small investment in it. I think I'll get more out of it if I spend some time on it. I'm not in love with it (like I am with my '29), so it doesn't bother me that folks don't like it. I'm just trying to figure out the best course of action to take with it.

12. Jax2A

Jax2A

I don't know, I like real steel but it's just not practical for a daily driver around here. I've been thinking more and more about building a 'glass coupe for a daily driver/beater. Just can't see putting a gennie steel 30's Ford on the roads here in Ohio. Personally, I'd go for the daily.

13. Tin Can

Tin Can

Finish it. It doesnt seem like it is that far from getting on the road. Wire it up and run some fuel and brake lines. My uncle has a glass one painted up like the California kid car. It may be glass but it could still be fun

14. Apparently you don't have a clue as to what these cars look like and just how hard they are to sell.

It is a poor representation of a 33-34 Ford and have a bad track record,,my comment is somewhat harsh as I know a guy personal that got stuck with one of these thinking he was getting a good deal on a glass car,,,he didn't wait for his friends that know cars to look it over.

Not all glass cars are built with total disreguard to proportions but I'm afraid this company builds their cars in that manor.

My friend finally sold is car,at a loss,to another guy that didn't know know the difference,,and when he was honest with the man about the car,,he bought it anyway,,,at Pigeon Forge,,he to was trying to sell it and wasn't having any luck.

I will re-pete again,,,nothing in the world wrong with glass cars,,,this one just doesn't make the cut.HRP

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  15. Tin Can

Tin Can

Finish it. It doesnt seem like it is that far from getting on the road. Wire it up and run some fuel and brake lines. My uncle has a glass one painted up like the California kid car. It may be glass but it could still be fun

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It sounds like you should sell it and build a garage or trade it for labor on a garage if the economy is bad down there. That`s the opinion I get from what you wrote.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look like a great daily driver that you can run the wheels off and not worry about "putting on miles and loosing value".

True it may never be a "high value" car but then it doesn't look like a guy needs to dump a lot of money into it from where it sits to have a nice driver.

18. F&J

F&J

Like was said about the moulded fenders/one pc body deal...that will put a cap on the value when done...

So, if you can get it to a dependable driver with decent paint without overspending, I think there would be a market for it from the group that "just wants a hot rod". Finished, and needing no work is the key these days.

19. ratfink56

ratfink56

can you cut off the fenders, boards and grille?

20. you know im not a fan of a glass car either but hell get it going, it could make a cool driver, and if i was in your boat i would have traded to, i think the car is easier to sale than the travel trailer, looks better to.

sure every once and a while ppl will give you guff for the glass but what every, you have a real car to!

21. Get it up and running and drive the piss out of it! Put some bucks where it counts and think about a body swap down the road when a good deal pops up.

Bob

22. hotrodihc

hotrodihc
    from London Ont

Build a late 60's custom.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Get it running and driving so that you can pass it on to the next guy to spend the big bucks on....paint and upholstery. Your potential buyer won't know a thing about old hotrods so don't try to make it one. If they can drive it around the block it will be a lot easier to sell. Let the new owner pick out the pastel color that his old lady wants along with the ziz-ziz stripe down the side.:D

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What you have said is all true.

There is however the flip side to this coin. That car finished as a daily driver would be a nice looking and unique car, even if it isn't a true scale representation of the real thing.

You would still stand out from the rest of the belly button Hondas , Hyundais etc etc etc., all the boring and uninspiring cars that litter the roads these days.

And to the vast unwashed and uneducated public it would look like another "hotrod". They wouldn't have a clue.

Sure, you'd get shunned at any rod run, but who cares ? Myself personally, I think some of the bullshit attitudes you see displayed at some of the "rod runs" or "shows" stinks.

I still say it would be a good daily driver. Just don't expect it to be a show winning rod.

25. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

finish it and use it as a daily driver. Its sure to be more fun than a Honda.

26. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

My dad's always wanted that year. His age allows him not to be too picky, so if you decide to sell it or trade, let me know. He'd think he was the bee's knees in that thing.

27. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Hell, if you don't want it, I wouldn't be bashful about driving it!

28. you got rid of a trailer you didn't want, for something you thought you did. Then you came on the HAMB, a place where Chinese steel replacement panels are preferred over fiberglass and ask what to do with it. You should have known what you were going to do as you made the trade. It's your money and your car. Do what you want. For it to be really accepted on the HAMB you better pull the motor, tranny and rear end and burn the rest to the ground. But in the real world I'd have to say it looks like it would make a cool driver. At least you'd be able to find it in Wally World's parking lot.

29. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

Pretty much what I was going to say!

30. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

It's a toy, play with it. Don't get caught up in what other people tell you to do. Run around in it till someone wants to buy it from you.