Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dusenberg dragsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Sep 17, 2010.

1. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

WORLD RECORD gathering of Duesenbergs! 70 in Auburn for the Reunion. There has NEVER been that many Duesenbergs together … ever!

There were 63 of them register for the AB JENKINS MEMORIAL DUESENBERG EXHIBITION OF SPEED AND STINSON FLY-IN

FAA close down an airport all Friday September 3rd and let them drag race down the runway! Must be seen to believe.

There was over $100 million dollars in Duesenbergs on the runway!

http://www.fwnews.tv/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=3&video=732

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, lots better than walking through a museum to see them and it looks like the owners were having a ball making passes.

3. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Al, thanks for the additional info on the Duesenberg drag-off! When I first saw that there were actual Duesenbergs drag racing each other I thought I must have reverted to my old habits and had consumed too much beer causing hallucinations. But it was real!

I rode in a Duesenberg once and thought right after that experience that I could then die and go wherever it is that I am going to go. There is no better depiction of the greatness of American car building and craftsmanship than a Duesenberg. None. Period. End of story...

4. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Were there timers set up? or was it just first one there wins?

5. chickenwire

chickenwire
    from New Jersey

I remember my first ride in a Duesenberg! An amazing feeling as a kid hopping in a supercharged Duesy!

6. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Yes, the local SCCA set up a set of timers. There was a scoreboard that the spectators could see, but the drivers could not see it and did not get time slips. I know that the maroon Murphy Convertible Coupe ran a 17 second pass, that's the only ET that I saw. (BTW, the owner of that car DROVE it all the way from his home in Florida to the event in Auburn/Kendallville Indiana!)
    I was there with my Duesy, and it was one of the most awesome car events I have been to. 71 Duesenbergs in one spot, no 2 of them alike, is indescribeable!:)

Unfortunately, my car (the white Murphy Convertible Coupe with the triangular hood screens) had a front wheel start shaking hard at just over 70, and I had to back off on the top end. I did shoot some in-car Duesenberg Drag Race video that I put up on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=HemiJoel#g/u