Register now to get rid of these ads!

No spark.. help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nosdan, Aug 14, 2010.

1. nosdan

nosdan

53 plymouth cranbrook... 6v system. Started it and moved it around in the shop. I went to start it about an hour later and nothing. Checked fuel system and everything is good there. Pulled the plug and there is no spark at the plug.

I checked all wires and connections and all looks well. One thing I did notice is that the horn does not work now and did before. Tried the horn in both acc and start positions of the ignition switch and no horn. Notice in the wiring diagram that the horn relay acts as a daisy connection for the ignition wire which then goes to the input side of the coil. Could the horn relay be bad and cause this altough the connection is direct and does not pass throught the relay itself?

Talking with other older folks, they mentioned that the condensor in the rotor where known to go out...

Any help, thoughts, or similar experiences? Thank you!!!

2. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

I'd be checking fuses first, then check for power at the + coil termanel with the ign. on. If you got no power at the coil start working your way back from the coil to the battery to see where the open circuit is. This is all assumeing the battery is charged..

3. nosdan

nosdan

yes, the battery is good. I have yet to push power through the coil to test. Surprisingly, these old girls only had one fuse 30 or 50amp for the entire car... needless to say the headlights come one and it cranks over great. I'll test some of the larger components... just wanted to see if there were any folks who experienced similar things and had a quick solution.

Thanks,

4. hoof

hoof

That horn relay was hard to come by, and it was an original pulled from a junk yard. The horn didn't work when I first got the car because the relay I had was bad, but the car still ran. I don't think that is it.
    CHAZ

5. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Do you have power to the + side of the ignition coil?

Did you only test one plug? Test several if not all. Break the whole circuit down into chunks, then test it one step at a time. Plug-coil-relay-ignition switch-batt.

6. 31Hudson

31Hudson

Check the coil wire from the coil to distributor cap, have a look at the cap itself. Check your plug wires while your at it. Did you wash the engine while it was stopped? Is it wet? Check the condition of the inside of the cap and the rotor. Check the up/down play in the distributor shaft. Is the rotor dropping down away from the cap? Spark then no spark sucks..Good luck

7. 61 chevy

61 chevy

check balstice restior if you have one on fire wall