Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Hardtop, Coupe & Sedan.
    Just because your top is made out of steel does not make your car a 'HARD'top.
    A car 'CAN' be a 2 door & still be a sedan.
    I like to say the word 'COUPE' too but that doesn't mean your car is one.
    EDUCATE YOURSELF ON YOUR CAR!!!
    Thank you for a great thread.
    Al:cool:

2. zipperhead

zipperhead
    from Ma

Panel truck being referred to as an ambulance and hearse

3. 6inarow

6inarow

I have seen the "4 door coupe" description too. go figure

4. My wife gave me a soft cover 'coffee table book' last Christmas titled: " Old School Hot Rods" (I know, everybody hates the term!) that has three rods in it refered to as "3-window coupes" that are obviously 5-windows! I lost all respect for the author's expertiese immediatly. I also had friends point out that the '34 Chevy 3-window coupe I had at the time had four windows (counting the windshield!).

5. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

"ran when parked" , well , why did you park it then?

6. "Grinded"!!!
    When's the last time you were in the supermarket and saw "Grinded Beef"?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  7. 4t7flat

4t7flat

The one that bugs me the most is "this car is a real head turner". ANY old car turns my head,even if it is a POS.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Trust me Rich, Im not one of those..i just thought it was ironic..and had to point it out.
    I have had people lay me out on here for not spelling something correct..
    i usually just laugh it off, this is supposed to be about cars, not making points for using spell check.

i dont type out my responses on another program , have it check my spelling and than paste it to this board..what you read is what you get from me:cool:

9. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-------------------
    I can't say that I ever have....but if I did, I sure
    as hell wouldn't shop there ever again!!!:eek::D
    Mart3406
    ============================

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can understand the frustration with pedants who insist that everything be spelled exactly correctly, as if that is some sort of sign of merit to society or overall worth as a human. It is certainly none of those things. Some of my childhood heroes could not even read.

One place that it does come in handy, though, is when you are trying to sell something online. It is also really good if you don't use slang terms for things. I saw "Murdered out rimz outa Caprees" on Craigslist the other day. How does one forecast any of that as a search terms to know that they were black 13" Dayton 100-spoke wire wheels, with the adapters?

Oh, and, as I have said before, the Firefox browser has an in-line spell checker, in all versions. It is underlining my misspellings as I type them, and suggesting the correct spelling.

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see this is still going. I love how many times the motor/engine thing comes up. It doesn't even bug me anymore. Webster's dictionary doesn't count. He didn't work on motors...or engines!

I came back to add this after reading another post. When the fuck did anti-freeze become "radiator fluid"? My whole life it was coolant or anti-freeze. Did I miss something?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  12. supercharged_scottsman

supercharged_scottsman
    from Galveston

And this one.....

"This car will be worth a lot of money once restored"

Sure it will..all the money you would have to sink in to the POS just to get it to run!

13. supercharged_scottsman

supercharged_scottsman
    from Galveston

I honestly just read this two minutes ago on Craigslist...

"Car was running when owner died.
    Has not been cranked in over a year. "

Which, the car or the dead owner?

14. bob-o

bob-o

It's prolly already been said but, "rat rod". Anything old (to a lamen or an idiot) is a "rat rod". I fucking HATE that term, phrase, whatever you wanna call it. "rat rod" (I refuse to capitalize it EVER) generally equates to "half assed piece of shit".

15. When did a “run” at a drag strip become a “lap”? You make a run at the drags and a lap at Daytona or LeMans. I first heard this on Pinks but now it’s being used other places too. ‘Just ain’t right.

16. -Sellers calling their clapped out 302w w/ a 4bbl a BOSS 302[/QUOTE]

yes i know this is O/T a bit

this is funny as i have a 69 mustang COUPE (you can see it in my avatar)
    i painted it up (spraycan) with machone style blackouts and installed a boss 429 scoop and the machone front and rear spoilers

its just my fun little HOTROD:D (yes i said hotrod. get over yerself ) that i play around with thats what a hotrod is

its totally amazing to me the number of people who should know better that come upat a cruise and say wow look at that mach, boss302 or even boss 429 that someone found in a barn......... i guess its a barn find because it has rust holes in it......

ok yes my stang has a 302 in it but, they never made a mach/boss coupe

they never ask if it is a boss or mach they just assume then go about thier merry way

17. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I am sorry I hink there are stupid questions. People need to at least think a little before they start asking.

For sell have seen this used more so in the south.

This engine / motor shit is getting old they can be called both.

18. oldDavey

oldDavey
    from Mulino, OR

Sorry, bike stuff. "suicide shift". It's a suicide clutch, dumbass. Kids.

19. NIB items that contain used parts. :mad:

20. BJR

BJR

So..... a Motor Head is a person who is into electric motors right?

21. supercharged_scottsman

supercharged_scottsman
    from Galveston

Three more pet peeves..<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

1. Sellers that write an ad like it is some freaking text message. I should not have to use an acronym dictionary to read your ad. Some folks were actually born before the invention of the cell phone!<O:p</O:p

2. Sellers that can only send pictures via cell phone. If I ask for a photo I want a photo..clearly focused, well lit and JPEG!<O:p</O:p

3. Sellers that assume that writing ads with "MiXeD uPpEr AnD lOwEr CaSe" letters or extra spaces will somehow throw off spammers. It may or may not work, but it mostly throws off buyers.<O:p</O:p

22. "the engine will have no oil in it when you move it" argh this happened last night, had a flathead dropped of to me full of old slugie engine oil... the guy gets there drunk, and trys to help me unload the engine, but ends up dropping almost all the oil on my pops pavement... needless to say i was PISSED!!!

23. mike hamel

mike hamel

I really do not know if it's been said yet but what the he'll. What gets me is the seller saying

"if the car or part was restored it would be worth xxxxx"

If the seller thinks that if a car or part is rare, that it's got to be worth a million dollars.

The term "rat rod" kills me

The fact that a car part is old that it's rare, and worth a lot of money

I'll have to think of some more but I'm with 99% of everybody on what they think.

24. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!
    I am, right at this very moment, watching Walrus Face and Nostrils building one of their hideous abortions with, you guessed it, a "suicide shift"..To top it off, Walrus Face has the nerve to call himself "old school.".......or is it "Skool"?

25. Larry T

Larry T

What about the differences in a jockey shift and a slapper. Pretty knitpicking stuff, but if you're gonna be right then be right.
    Larry T

26. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

That would be "nitpicking" which is something that I would never do! :rolleyes:

27. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, that would be a lousey thing to do! (G)
    Larry T

28. banditomerc

banditomerc

Time to put the keyboard down ,get to the garage/yard ,and put a wrench or torch or tig or mig or...in your hand!You get the idea!LOL:D

29. You're not wrong there.
    I also hate posts done on here that are ALL CAPS or done in bold or worse .. BOLD AND CAPS. :eek::eek:
    Worse still is LARGE TEXT IN CAPS AND BOLD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.