Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Wireless Dash (Gauges)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Sep 15, 2010.

1. I would like to invent wireless gauges and dash, where a speedo,tach,oil press,water temp, and amp and fuel gauge are all WIRELESS like todays lap tops.
    Also I want a naked girl bike, a mansion a yacht, and a million dollars.
    but any help on wireless gauges and dash would be kool.
    Gonna need Helicopter to check on my oil wells soon, Mikey

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

It is a very intriguing project, that might be feasable, but would need some investigating. I will look into this little project and try to give youi an idea of what is needed.

Can't help you with the other things, the naked girl bike sounds interesting, oops I am married, but I sure can dream.

3. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

What would be the advantage?
    What do you mean by wireless dash?

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ford had one in 1909

5. spammer alert.

6. via bluetooth ? and a small cpu?

7. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

They already have something like this for the speedo and odometer. Works just like the GPS.

8. Sounds like someone that's a mechanic is trying to do an electrician's job......you know......ME!

Good luck!

9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

this is WAY off topic for the hamb, but supposedly there is an indian car company that is starting to produce a compressed air powered car that takes this a step beyond. apparently all of the cars sensors and switches are activated wirelessly. break lights, abs sensors, engine monitoring etc. only power is run via wires. The car is still preproduction status so who knows if this will make it to production or not. think it's called the Tata air car.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah that will be fun to diagnose for engine problems. I don't even like electric gauges let alone wireless.

11. Slow55

Slow55

wireless idiot lights...... with blue teeth?

12. I invented frozen band aids.....for cold cuts. I'm going to use my pending fortune to open a merkin museum.

13. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I looked at some of the speedo's that use gps so no wires to the tranny but like all gps devices sometimes they don't work real well in bad weather or in tunnels or garages and such.
    Wireless tranducers and receivers would make it all wireless and clean under the dash and I am sure some industrial applications have them for certain gauges but prices would be high to purchase I would imagine.

14. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Just think of the fun! Hack inot somebody's wireless speedo and set it 20 MPH below the legal limit in a speed trap. Make the oil pressure ga. say 0, and watch them pull over in a big hurry. Supposedly the mfgs. are working on the next engine control system called OBD lll, and it will have a transponder so that you do not need wires to "talk" to the engine control computer. Big Brother in action. OK, so invent the wireless gauges, but keep them out of what we call hot rods.

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I want hoseless air tools

16. A wireless starter would be nifty...yeah nifty..I'm old.

17. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Tankless gas welding torches would be nice.

18. Non-alcoholic bee................nevermind..bad idea.

19. you guys really need to get some sleep!:rolleyes::D can somebody help me make my "electric dog polisher" wireless?:eek::D

20. the-rodster

the-rodster

How hard can you blow....

:)

Rich

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

??? yer hummin' us.

22. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

not wireless, but newer OTR trucks use a mimimal harness that takes its signals from the engine computer.

23. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Knee jerk reaction to the original post:

The idea is:

*very HAMB-unfriendly,
    *unreliable (path loss, ignition noise, relatively delicate electronics),
    *costly,
    *addresses a nonexistent need.

Wireless sensors/gauges are common in industry using IEEE 802.11, et al (I used to develop this stuff when I was at Eaton in R&D). Nothing says traditional like a battery powered 2.4 GHz transmitter hanging off the side of your beehive oil filter where the gauge's copper line normally goes!

Gee if you really want to simplify things, why not use CAN-bus (IEEE J1939)?

The KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle and cars (new or old!) needs to be the MAIN OBJECTIVE. This is why so many of US (HAMBers) drive KISS cars and trucks instead of sensor-heavy, processor controlled modern sh!tboxes.

OK, off my soapbox. Besides, I need to go out and swap the computer in my '62 Catalina...it is green and white and says "INTERSTATE" on it.

24. I invented omlettes...........

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

what, just to make trouble shooting a way bigger PITA?:D

jeasus man havent you ever heard the saying keep things simple:eek:

your over thinking this

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

they make wireless computers for bicycles so I guess it could be done.

in my world gauges need wires and gas pedals need a cable or mechanical linkage.

27. I personally want an adjustable johnson. Just so I can look like donkey man in my leasure suit. :D

Late model cars all have a couple of very bad traits, one is that the electronics go on the fritz, just ask a Toyota owner. I know that we live in an electronic world but face it they don't very seldom do what one thinks they should do. None of them like electrical noise. Can you imagine what the electrical noise from my mag is going to do to a set of wireless gauges when I roll up next to you and blip my throttle?

But it sounds like a money maker. I'll get in touch with AEG and see if we can borrow the cash to get started.

28. Do you plan on taking the dash in the house at night? Without wires building a hot rod would be no fun at all!!

29. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

You can basically do this in modern vehicles. Sensors all report on the on board diagnostics, so you can plug in a bluetooth OBDII scanner and then read all the info on a laptop or smart phone. It wouldn't take much to make that info drive stepper motors to run gauges.

You could do something similar. Say run all the sensors to a "brain" somewhere in the engine compartment or just inside the firewall. Then have a second "brain" located in the dash that drives the gauges. The first brain would send sensor data to the second one. You could go a step farther and have sensors that transmit directly to the dash. Sort of the way TPMS work on modern cars. Although I believe TPMS send a very low powered signal to receivers located close to the tires.

30. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

I would love to invent a car that runs off of other peoples exhaust fumes(pollution)
    Wireless gauges? will they work better than wireless phones?I hope so