Register now to get rid of these ads!

everyone with shaved doors.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by .C.D.O., Aug 12, 2010.

1. Starter solenoid mounted inside door linked to latch with cable or wire, starter button hidden outside somewhere.
    [​IMG]

2. rlowrod

rlowrod
    from Corona Ca

Remote controlled power windows, then I just use the inside handles

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I have electric solenoids. When they were installed the installer said to carry a 9 volt battery in case I was locked out. The terminals were behind the front bumper. It didn't work, but 12 volts worked (see "Ventura Nationals Follies"). Thanks to Groucho.

4. joel torres

joel torres

i use 12v solenoid in the door (chevy blazer rear glass popper) and install a car alarm i wire the trunk wire to the pass door and the option wire to the drivers door (with relays) people allways bug out when i walk to my cars hands in my pocket and the door opens for me at the right time for me to hop in i love when my car is at an angle door swings open

Sparky52Dodge likes this.
  5. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

No imagination, Use a universal choke cable run it through the door, through the door jamb area. into the fender well. Make sure to leave enough slack for the door to open. And those sliding braided steel wire loom things that slide in and out of the door are a pretty trick solution to keeping things from chaffing.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

On one of my many '57 Chevys, I used a micro-switch hidden & mounted inside the rear quarter panel... a small 1/16" hole was drilled just below the chrome trim, not even noticeable...I inserted a straight "pin" I carried, which activated the driver's side power window motor...it rolled down and I simply reached in and opened the door.

The window retained it's regular up and down switch hidden in the console on the inside... the system worked well because of electrical relays and I retained the stock roll up handles on the inside to keep it looking like it still had roll up windows.

R-

7. Slapnuts1975

Slapnuts1975
    from Tennessee

I'll tell you how not to do it.

OK, Power windows, door locks, remote control opener when outside the car, shaved handles inside the car using the door lock switch as the button to pop it. No handle, very clean, very cool, very STUPID.

Picture this. Little corrosion on your battery that you neglect turns into a problem and from inside the car, with the doors shut, you go to turn the key and, click, connection on the positive goes to shit. Now normally you would just get out, wiggle the cable, or take time and clean the bitch off and reinstall. But your in a car with power windows, door locks and a remote control to open the door, with no handle.

Thats where I was last night, with no tools in the car. An hour later my wife got home and I had her jiggle the battery cable and free me.

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Guess you learned a very important lesson...KEEP your only way out mechanical...keep the inside door handle, no matter how "clean" it looks without it...

And then again, I guess you also learned how a little neglect can ruin your day...there's a reason most people keep up on the maintenance on their car no matter how small and insignificant.

R-

9. -DouG-

-DouG-

I shaved the handles on an off topic pickup. I used I bicycle brake cable connected to the stock latch. The cable ran through the door and into the mirror where it was connected to a small knob made out of a stainless steel allen bolt that stuck out of the bottom of the mirror. Simply pull the knob to enter...

10. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

6v volkswagen solenoid and a hidden button does the trick for my 49

11. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I used the Spal solenoid kit which works well but... 90% of the time I reach in the rolled down window and open it from the inside handle. The solenoid makes such a loud clang I am embarassed to use it. I really love the bike cable to mirror solution from _DouG_.

Your personal solution will present itself if you have the latch out of the car, operate it many times and have some sample rods, cables to try and mock it up outside of the door.

12. Slapnuts1975

Slapnuts1975
    from Tennessee

Was on a vehicle I recently traded into. Has some nice billet Battery terminal covers on it, and couldn't see a problem till it was to late.

13. I'm NOT a fan of shaved door handles. It's too insignificant of a part to eliminate as far as making a big improvement to the look of a car. However, I've had cars that were already shaved...my Vette in the avatar included. Luckily it has pwr windows. I have a key switch on the outside of the door near the stock door lock that rolls down the pwr window, allowing me to reach inside to open the door