Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overflow bottle ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'm putting one of the Budweiser drawn aluminum 16oz beer bottles on my gasser.
    Strip the ink off it with EZ Off oven cleaner, then twist the bottle in a handful of 0000 steel wool and it'll look like a spun aluminum tank.
    Tig a disc of aluminum over the opening, then drill/tap for a radiator petcock.
    Drill a hole through the bottom of the bottle, and run a piece of aluminum tubing all the way down to the bottom, with a slash-cut on the end. Tig the tubing in place, git a bracket to the side of the bottle, and mount the bottle upside down, so the neck is toward the ground, to disguise that it's a beer bottle.

Spun aluminum, compact, and free. Well, you've got to buy the beer, but that's not all bad.

-Brad

2. I'm using this one in my '61 Willys (the Anti-Rod), its 5 liter [over kill], and not totally trad [too new] but I have it so what the hell.

I have a very old Stanley Stainless Thermos (1 quart) that I have had since I was a kid that I'm going to use in my real hot rod. Fits my personality perfect I drink a lot of coffee. Sorry it isn't handy for me to snap a pic.

Attached Files:

3. Caractacus Potts

Caractacus Potts

Just stop into Walmart and head towards sporting goods. They'll have a shelf full of Aluminum water bottles, some with graphics, but I found a nice plain one. It was even necked down about 3/4 up, which made it really easy to mount with a U bolt.

4. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Good idea, Brad! First time I saw one of those bottles (on a cruise), I couldn't help but think it would be useful for something!

5. More an expansion tank than an overflow bottle. It's made from a fuel pressure reservoir off a Huey and mounts on the spring hanger for the front suicide axle on my Modified using airframe clevis joints from a DC3.

[​IMG]

Before;

[​IMG]

6. I used my old "Military Canteen" I received from my uncle who served in WWII and Korea... dated 1945... perfect and simple!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  7. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

My favorite is the little aluminum tanks off old vettes. Probably pricey though.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Packard 12s had an early version of a coolant recovery system. There was a tank mounted on the side of the engine (on the outside of the chassis after 34) and it was vented at the top. Simple clean design with a drain and the 12s used a sealed cap on the radiator. So, I'd like to suggest you build a tank that suits the basic vibe of the rest of the engine and accessories and mount it where it doesn't dominate but it's there for those who'd recognize it's use. The plumbing can be hard-lined in too for the extra degree of craftsmanship, if you design it right with a minor step rolled in to one side then you could set up all of the inside tubes and then solder it together for a real vintage look. Just wipe off enough excess to know it was soldered then paint to match whtever it has to.

9. how about using something like this

[​IMG]

10. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

bottle

Attached Files:

11. That is a great idea if it doesn't have to hold pressure. (I know - overflow bottle) I've used some $12 aluminum fire extinguisher bottles that look almost exactly the same as those in your picture. I've used them for pre-luber bottles, oil reservoir etc. They can hold moderate-medium pressure.

The antique brass extinguisher is the coolest if your rod is of the right vintage to look natural with it.

12. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Needed one at the last minute for by 64' Dart Wagon. I ran into the local gas station and bought a bottle of NOS energy drink, poured it on the ground (it's that damn bad) and drilled a hole. Not only did it work, but now my car has nitrous! :D OK, it will get changed later!

13. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

I'm going to sound really stupid here, but you don't learn if you don't ask. All you have to do is run the drain tube into a container, right? The vacuum created when it cools off will draw the coolant back in, right? Does it have to be air tight, or not air tight? I'm thinking of using one of these and just punching a hole in the cap for the tube, but I don't want to do something wrong and have it explode on me.

[​IMG]

14. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

The last car I used a small propane tank from one of those hand held torches, Just drilled out the valve and tacked on a couple mounting tabs.
    Looked and fit good, needed somthing tall and skinny.

15. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Yes, just run the tube almost to the bottom of the can, cut the tube at a angle so it can't seal if it happens to get pushed all the way down. The can should be vented so no preasure or vacume will build up.

16. imnezrider

imnezrider

Temporary......

Attached Files:

17. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Can I ask a question without any drama?

whay do you need one in the first place?

Can't you just run the rad full til it pukes and call that the level it needs?

Unless it is pressurized to expand and contract (the bottle) why would your rad keep puking?

18. Depending on the situation your car could reach higher than normal operating temps and the pressure causes the radiator to purge out some fluids and with a recovery tank... the coolant can be resiphened back to the radiator without loss and or spilling on the ground.

Besides "IF" you do decide to take your car to the track... it's mandatory that you have a "Puke Tank" so that you don't grease the track with coolant and cause a dangerous situation with the Really fast cars loosing traction and crashing!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  19. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Exactly. And if it spits some out where a pet can get to it they could drink it and poison themselves. Anti freeze is sweet and kitties and puppies have been known to lap it up :(

20. cadman89

cadman89

How about just an old bottle?

[​IMG]

Cadman

21. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

mine is just a hose run under the frame incase it pukes;)

22. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Lucky us in california depending on how bad the leos want to be it is illegal to allow it to puke on the ground.( I have never seen it enforced but I have had nieghbors complain and call):cool:

23. chuckbob

chuckbob

I used an old WW2 Canteen and cup combination on my 57 Dodge. The cup makes a good mounting base for the canteen.

24. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Fire extinguisher bottle, modify it with some internal tubes and fit a cap on it. They also polish out nicely. Most are service dated and disposed of for scrap, should get one cheap from a fire prevention service. I also dig the canteen, a bit small though.

25. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I know a guy that uses an old brass bicycle tire pump, looks good.

26. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Thanks for the many replies ,The reason why I want one Is I dont want radiator fluid on any parts of my car ,I built something tonight and it holds about 8 to 10 ounces ,I hope thats enough .Im running a 5 blade fan and i think its a 4 core Speedway aluminum rad chopped 2 inches for a Model A .But its for a 32

27. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Im with you....I just have a 7lb. cap and a puke tube. When I top the radiator it will get to temp and puke once. Thats it.

28. "COCTAILS ANYONE?"
    Looking around for over a year - nothing that turned me on that much for our open hood roadster. Found myself in a local Pier One store where they have an assortment of coctail shakers. THEN I SAW IT! Here was one in stainless with curvey sides - kinda like an old Coke bottle - wide at the bottom sloping to a narrow waist section and sloping out again towards the top. About 11" tall. Of course it had the usual small top cap. About $19 but had to have it! Drilled the top cap for a tube and welded a bracket on the fan mount. May attach it with a stanless zip tie or maybe weld a tab on the back side. Looks soooooo Art Deco....
    I'll try to post the pics tomorrow or so...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  29. Teep

Teep
    BANNED
    from Travis AFB

the ground......

30. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

How about an old tank off a Coleman camp stove?