Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Oct 16th WRA and WCVR SWc Blythe Spdwy

Oct 23-24 Historic Champ/Indy Car PIR Oval and HSR on Road Course

Nov 6th West Coast Vintage Racers SW Chapter (WCVR SWc) Havasu Spdwy with Western Racing Assoc. WRA (vintage sprints and midgets)

Feb 19 WRA with WCVR SWc Blythe Spdwy

Feb 26 WCVR Canyon Raceway

2. jsproctor

jsproctor

THANKS! I can make all of those. Can't wait!

3. baldtireman

baldtireman

Beautiful......... A great companion piece to Josh' creation.Any idea who built it originally? I love racecar history. I am fortunate to have as a friend,Ron Trevis,son of Floyd,master champ and sprint builder,and a superb creator in his own right! John S.:D

4. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Don't forget the Legends of Ascot at Perris Auto Speedway. This is simply a GREAT event! I know that Parnelli Jones, Andy and Vince Granatelli, Linda Vaughn and MANY other drivers and participants of the Ascot era will be there. Can't miss this one! Check it out at www.legendsofascot.com. I'm not sure if tickets are still available.

5. Baldtireman, The car had been updated a lot. Last raced in 1984 or 85.
    Its hard to tell who built it. The rear of the car has a lot of similarity to a Edmunds, tail, bummper, bars, arms. etc. The rest of it looks to be CAE ?? Probably a one off that was built in the LA area
    The last owner was Vern Berry.
    I have been in contact with one person that new someone that new Vern but the trail ends there. I would love to have more history !!

6. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

From the Web Site .... http://www.warrennjcarshow.org

THE SHOW IS ON - SEE YOU TOMORROW (Sunday)
    The local forecast is for only possible (light) showers in the late afternoon

7. jsproctor

jsproctor

8. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

That sounds about rihgt. The photo was taken at joliet stadium in the 1970s. thanks for the info. Do you know what motor it ran?

9. gearguy

gearguy

Moe:
    If your response is about that #00 rear engine car it had a 110 cubic inch VW type 1 motor coupled to a Hewland modified VW trans axle. Gregg is missing a couple of trick chassis parts but has accumulated enough motor pieces to otherwise complete the driveline. He has many projects in the pipeline so it'll be awhile before #00 returns to the track.

Gregg checks this board once in a while so feel free to encourage him.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

10. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Yes, Thanks again for the info. I rember watching that car run. It had A bit of a push at the apex. Seemed to go in the corner ok, comming out not so good. Always liked the diffrent types fo cars and that was one of them! Thanks, chuck

11. Re Vint Shots FRM DYS Gone By, pg. 491, #9809.
    Would like info on these pix, especially those of the Luptow "Black
    Panthers", the double shot & the #2. I think the #9 is his original
    B.P.
    Are 1 of the midgets Barton's??
    Thank You,
    mlight9

12. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

I just got off the phone with Lynn Paxton,he agrees with me that the Kenny Weld /Don Rice roadster is still in New York,still in original paint etc. Weld raced his #91 modified in 69 and later with a sprint tail. We would love to see a photo of the 31 in 1969. Again,the Moore`s didn`t own it and you are not restoring it. What car do you have ?

13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Just to throw alittle more fuel on the fire about the Mechanical Rabbits, where is Don's car and where is Greg Weld's car?

I don't know where Don's car went and the last time I saw Greg's car was at Anderson, Indiana the night before Little 500 qualifications in the late 60's or early 70's and Lee Brayton had it at that point.

Just curious

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

We went around on these cars a while back. IIRC it was thought that Browns car ended up with Todd Gibson which he changed considerably and eventually it was cut up and scrapped. I believe it was thought that Brayton totaled Welds car out at Reading (?) in the early 70s. Best as I remember anyway.

15. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thanks, didn't mean to cause a repeat but I haven't read all the posts in this thread.

I know Brayton didn't treat Greg's car very kindly at Anderson the night I mentioned either.

16. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

I know this is a midget question, but this thread has a larger audience than the midget thread.

Refresher for you long time members: With the help of Don Edmunds we have traced my midget's heiritage back to CBM 7 (Cross Bar Midget 7), the 7th midget Don built and it was built for Bob Lithcow, Steator, IL. I have most of the history of the car.

Now, today I spoke with Louise Lithcow, Bob's widow and Dee Tattersall, Bob Tatersall's widow (they are neighbors) and discovered that Bob Lithcow may have had three different Edmunds cars, and Jim McClean, an Illinois midget driver has one of them restored. Does anyone know how to get in touch with Jim?

Blacki-Suede

17. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Blacki I talked to Jim McClean at the lockard race at grundy. I dont know if he will be at the next race I think there is one more at grundy county. If I see him I can ask him if he would want to talk to you about his car , and get his phone #. Tom

18. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Well Warren got mostly rained out but at leased I got to meet Ken Schou and Lombardo and share a pizza with them. So it was worth the drive, I had a good time. Ken your a wealth of information how do you remember all that stuff? Denny Z

19. cg5

cg5

Jim
    Jump on a plane and come to KC Sunday. John Layne is having his annual car show in Smithville.

Curt Grogan

20. jsproctor

jsproctor

Thanks, I wish I could.....but got a new Lexus tester to wring out at work on Monday. Can you post some pics of the event?

21. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Denny, it was both our pleasure and an honor to meet you and spend some time with you over lunch. .. How do I remember all that stuff? .. I was introduced to open cockpit racing in the early 60's by Tom Cochrane and about the same time to stock car racing by a (young at the time) guy that worked with him .. Johhny (Action) Karklin and racing instantly became a passion of mine and has given me great pleasure since. I guess the gray stuff between my ears just chooses to remember what gave me so much enjoyment & fun.

As far as Ken Brenn's show .. dispite the rain shortened day, it was time well spent. .. We (Bob Lombardo aka 110_Offy and myself) met fellow HAMBers Doug Post (Sprinter 2) and John Peters .. "Jiggs" Peters nephew (Big John 37) and Denny Zimmerman, plus renew our friendship with another HAMBer .. Stan Lobitz. Getting to meet &/or see these folks made the trip worth while.

We also got to see some folks that we don't get to see near often enough like the SESCO maven Bill Brown, Ace Lane, Jr., Tom Cochrane, Phil DiMario and others.

Ace Lane also introduced me to a famous dirt modified family (their name is on the tip of my tounge, but my creaky mind won't go into gear) and with them also got to meet for the first time, Ken Brenn, Junior.

Doug Post's restored Darrell-Villa Offy midget is just outstanding (and deservingly won a trophy). He has the history of it extremely well documented in two large scrap books .. one showing it as the late Ed Darrell's Darrell-Villa car, the other later as the late Bill Dorer's Bulldog Offy.

John Peters 37 Ford coupe hot rod is just suberb.

My plan was to walk around and see everything once, then go around again to take pictures. Well, as soon as I took my camera out and was going to make my second go around, the sky opened up. .... So much for that plan. :mad:

The forecast of rain kept many that had planned to make the show away.

In my car, rain coming down, soaked to the skin, ready to leave .. my cell phone rang. It was Denny Zimmerman. After driving 3 1/2 hours to get there he was very close .. so we waited. VERY GLAD WE DID!!!

As long as my toes are still on the green side of the grass .. I'll make this show again next year!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  22. [​IMG]
    1954 Schroeder driven by Len Duncan

23. Buildy

Buildy

Alright Dennis(mlight),Where are these cars Located?

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

25. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Ditto ... (PLEASE)

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

At one time (and I assume still) these were owned by a Jack Thompson who has a collection/museum in Pa. but I'm not sure where.

27. Rich68

Rich68
    from Warren, CT

These may not all technically be Sprint cars, but thought they would be appreciated. All pics taken @ the Lime Rock Historics this year:

Attached Files:

28. bill wallace

bill wallace

My son was the crew chief for john thompson his son when he won the scca run-off atlantic championship. The Thopsons owned several things including a BMW dealership I believe in eastern Pa & were good friends of Roger Penske. I just cant recall exactly but if not Redding it was close by.