Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods To be a Gasser or not to be?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FredK, Sep 14, 2010.

1. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

Hi all,
    I have a 1939 DeSoto coup and am thinking about making it a Gasser. I think Speedway makes a straight front axle kit that would make it a easy conversion. Anybody used this product or done it a different way? Also can you drive a Gasser farther than a 1/4 mile on the street? I would like to drive it around a bit.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

3. A straight axle doesn't make it a gasser, running in gas class does. You could build it to run the street and strip.

falcongeorge likes this.
  4. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

5. So much more potential as a slick custom than a gasser...in my humble opinion...

6. Yeah i say custom

7. Moondog13

Moondog13

Custom or Bomb. :D

8. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

My interest in the Gasser idea is both cost and time. I would have to get a front clip welded on and all the associated pars. I plan to get a pre-smog Chevy C-10 and use the drive train and sell off the frame, body and cab.

9. Shawn M

Shawn M

It would look better as a custom, the gasser craze is just a trend IMO, however that is just my opinion. Good luck whatever you decide

10. I think the front end proportions of that car are too long to make a good looking Gasser. Don't think it's going to work and resale will probably be around zero. Nice mild custom is how I would go with that sled.

11. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Don't rush into something that you'll likely regret. Ever drive in a "gasser"? It gets old real fast.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

custom? doesn't anybody build HOT RODs anymore? nice down in front rake, 5 spokes, bigger tires in the back than the front. that's what I'd like to see.

13. as hotroddon says, the proportions of that car would look goofy as a gasser. its not that type of a car, nothing on that car says gasser, the shape, weight, none of it.

its for sure a custom sled.

49 rat- how could that be a hot rod? ever one says custom cause it couldnt be a hotrod.

14. [​IMG]
    Agreed - nothing about that car screams Hot Rod - but it could be a Custom

15. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

That would make a Cool Custom..

16. IF it were mine i wouldnt gasser it but its yours and believe me i completely understand budget constriants

17. 61falcon

61falcon

if you want to drive it and enjoy it, dont go the gasser wanna be route. if you want to make it a drag car only, then gasser it is.

18. sodas38

sodas38

That year/make/model makes a really cool custom. But I do see your dilema if your short on funds because its tough not to put alot of money to make a nice looking custom. You can skimp somewhat to get a patina'd style race car.

19. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Build it the way you want. Or whatever gets you going.

And can we please stop arguing about the 'gasser' tag? Everyone knows that it was/is a class. But it's just a generic term for a straight axle car. Kind of like posi or kleenex. How's that for an example.

And if the 'gasser' thing is a trend it's a damn long trend!

20. CYCO_FISH

CYCO_FISH

isnt ur avatar a gasser?

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, a 50 year trend. If that were mine, (and I wanted a 'gasser' style) I'd opt for the cleaning off of the frame in front, hanging some bolt-on brackets, and a tube axle with elliptic springs. Drive it for a year with warmed-over 318 & torqueflite, then when you've collected the right stuff for a Custom, tear it down fast and simply, keeping the stock frame and retro one of the independant crossmembers in. Rear can now be C'd, using the 8-3/4 rear that you installed at first. (an extra pair of rear semi-elliptics, reversed-eyed and flattened can be bolted right in)

I have similar stuff for my '54 Ford Coupe. Not 'gutting' it, just tube axle, 406, Torq Thrusts, and raised up a 'healthy' amount.
    I'm already collecting stuff for its next life as a Custom! (nothing is forever)

22. You can drive a street beast as far as you can drive a 4WD truck or an old beam axle truck.

Early gassers something that would fit into the trad criteria were streeters. It was a street legal class.

But to answer your question what I'm thinking you want to build will do you just fine on the street it just won't be a canyon carver.

Never the less tail dragger is probably as cool as that old beast will ever be. Won't cost you any more to build and be way more trad than anything you could do by lifting it.

23. bluemeanie

bluemeanie

too cool of a car to be hacked up into a gasser

24. Damn good idea, not just for this guy, but for anyone on a budget and wants to have fun while saving up.

25. it would certainly make for a diffrent look done as a gasser. hell, im all about using diffrent makes for the sake of being diffrent. its your ride and if done right, it would sure be a talking point.

26. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you say gasser, i say dragger.

27. WTF??? I love driving mine! Dont put any 5 spokes on your Hot Rods either, they are just a fad too. Do what YOU want. As long as you build what you want you should be happy.I have ridden in many low riders,taildraggers and model A vehicles that ride worse than my straight axle car!

28. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

LoL. Easy now, just offering up some advice based on my own experiences. I've owned one gasser and have ridden in a few others....they all had ugly bump-steer issues. Around here where the roads are riddled with potholes, gassers are a hand-full. 5 spokes? No idea what you mean, I didn't say anything about 5 spokes. :confused:

29. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Set them up right and you'll have no problem.

30. nutajunka

nutajunka

With the right rate springs and shocks they don't ride bad at all. I have a traditional draglink steering and no bumpsteer. Being that it is so light it likes to jump up and down easily which is alot of fun. To me if it isn't really light, then that takes alot of the fun away from it.