Register now to get rid of these ads!

Honest Charley Order

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cWaInc, Sep 13, 2010.

1. I don't think he extorted them. It's not outlandish to expect a set of mass-produced mounts for $20. I wouldn't expect the shocks, but they went above and beyond including them.

2. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

The HAMB MOB definitely has some pull in the hot rod world. 2000+ views!!!

3. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

Glad it worked out, I knew it would

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  4. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

As far as extorting them goes, I made it very clear I didnt want to be a dick about it. He offered to send me the remainder of the kit. I didnt ask him to, or put up a fight about that one bit. I would've been happy with a refund + shipping, but he told me he'd like to exceed my expectations.

I never once said I want the whole kit. GTFO with that.

5. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Yeah, i'd feel bad about them sending me the whole shock kit.

I think the right thing in this situation would be for them to refund the original purchase price plus shipping and apologize for the hassle it caused you.

This kinda feels like the power of the HAMB was used to blackmail a vendor that is decent 99.9% of the time.

6. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

I can see your point, thats why I brought it up here. I made sure to be unbiased in my post.
    There were 4 or 5 posts saying HC would do whats right. I dont know the company or anyone in it. I didnt know if they had a reputation like others I've heard about. So I figured I'd let them decide how they want to handle it.
    Now I can tell guys looking for parts who to go to. It's HC's time to shine, how many of you can say you've talked to the president of a company on his cell phone b/c he wanted to make sure you were happy? I haven't even talked to sellers on ebay personally.

I'll buy anything I can from HC from now on. I owe them that.

7. mrrocket

mrrocket

As a business owner, and most oof you other business owners, I think, will agree: If you advertise something on your own website, and a customer see's it and buys it, I think it is the businesses moral obligation to honor it. It doesn't mean someone might get lucky, see a stupid low price and jump on it, but atleast by you ordering it and complaining they were able to fix it. I am AMAZED that 30 other people didn't do the same. And maybe they did but knew they were scamming...not that you were, but maybe they were so didn;t make a fuss.

I, like Goodman said, always feel great when im able to honor what I said, or am able to go beyond expectation and not only correct a problem but make that client even happier about thier dealing with me...

So, they should send you the whole kit, maybe you should not accept it, but they should send it for sure.

8. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

We could /Thread with this. I won't return the kit but I will however make sure I spend the difference on them. I still have a lot more parts to buy. This just ensures its going to be with them. He told me he feels good about doing it for me and I'm ecstatic about it.

9. mrrocket

mrrocket

Thats fair enough. And theres nothing better than when a customer like yourself comes back and spends more money. Means, to me at least, I did a good job, and the client saw that I was trying to do right.

10. I'm sorry but anyone pissed at this guy for wanting what he ordered is an Idiot. I would have clicked the ad to cart without thinking about it.....

regardless of who's mistake it is. Honest Charlie went above and beyond TODAY'S customer service standards.

11. that's exactly it. Maybe HC ate some profit on this one. but they just gained a customer for life and someone who will word of mouth advertise for them.....seems like a small price to pay.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

should have Bought them from Welder Series..D.W. accidently sent me 2 right side rear shock mounts..when i called and let him know..he just sent out the other mount..said dont worry about the other right side mount..and no charge for nothing..no additional shipping..and it was on my door within 2 days/..he's also a vendor on here

I see now that they came thru for ya..thats great..glad it came out good

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think originally all he wanted was to return the parts and have them cover shipping which they initially wouldn't do. they went beyond what they had to do and the issue was resolved, I don't think he was trying to get the shocks, he just wanted them to cover shipping the parts back to them. those parts could have been returned in a USPS flat rate box for five bucks. covering the parts being returned due to a mistake on THEIR part is reasonable.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  14. Racewriter

Racewriter

Ditto. And when he says, "I wasn't trying to get the rest of the stuff out of them," that's bullshit. If you look down in the e-mail he posted, here's how he started the dialogue:

15. whid

whid

regardless of thoughts ,feelings and intentions.I think the end result speaks volumes about Mike Goodmans character...............dave

16. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

Bullshit? Yikes! Such strong words! Try not to take it to personal pal. Mike and I are both happy with what happened, youre the only one upset here. How about posting something helpful like an experience, and not your ill tempered opinion. :confused:

17. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Ive never heard of em but am gonna go to the site now and look for some hot rod parts.

Because after all the guy is a hotrodder, just like me.

18. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

all right, he got in contact with them, all he wanted to do was get them to cover the return shipping, the decision to include the shocks was on them, i think theye did it to keep a customer, he's happy now, he said he's going to keep buying parts from them in the future now. No reason to beat the subject to death

19. dirttoo

dirttoo

I am fairly new to the hot rodding scene and had never heard of Honest Charleys. I am now off to their web site to see what I need. Thanks for this post.

20. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

Yeah lets end the opinions since its taken care of now. I'll post my new parts when I get them, and let you know what else I order. Mike Goodman was an extremely nice guy and didnt seem rattled about the situation at all.

I will buy from him again and share my experience. I hope some of you do as well.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Regardless of motivation, in a lot of states, a person is entitled to one item at the marked price in the event of a pricing error, in the event that the marked price is lower, and is only obligated to pay the lower of the two prices.

Not sure about Tennessee though.

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Seems like Honest Charleys is being MORE than honest. Mr. Goodman is truly a "good man."

23. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I am truly offended by this post. In the first place, an advertised price is what you are required to sell an item for-THAT'S THE LAW. I believe that HC did the right thing and as far as to OP taking advantage of the mistake, I call B.S.

24. Maybe he thought it was on sale.

25. disorderlysaint

disorderlysaint

I was once in their booth at the Charlotte Autofair, and laid down a receipt for some parts i had bought from another vendor. Parts that they sold as well. After i walked off and forgot the receipt the guy found it and seeing it had my address on it he stuck it in an envelope and mailed it back to my house. That act earned my respect and my business.
    Personally i dont think i would have expected the rest of the kit. Mistakes happen and im not one to hold someones feet to the fire for it. I know ive made my share. I would have however expected the shipping refunded. Im glad that they stepped up.

26. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

So Honest Charlie is honest after all !!!

27. olds34dude

olds34dude
    from florida

thats just poor management on h.c.'s part, companys' that use ups all the time get a dramatic cut in shipping cost. sounds like they (h.c.) are making as much or more on the shipping than the part; if they were to cut costs and do the customer a service they could send by usps for just a few $'s, not to mention how much they just lost from future hamb'r sales.

28. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Shame on you sir, you're not foolin' me. You knew damn well that price was a mistake and hoped to cash in on it. And then to start a post griping about it on here? Boo freakin' hoo...

29. Yep, I'm thinking the same thing, who would be ripping off who?

30. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Right? $18 barely buys your lunch and a beer anymore and this guy thought he was getting a whole shock kit... Jeez...:rolleyes: