Register now to get rid of these ads!

Honest Charley Order

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cWaInc, Sep 13, 2010.

1. fourforeverfours

fourforeverfours
    from CA

http://forum.woodenboat.com/archive/index.php/t-39135.html Corky Coker started it all. Coker Tires.

http://www.dynamat.com/news_news_driven_dirty_tour.html Check the quick facts for the President of Honest Charlies. Mike Goodman

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5073057 Previous info. on Honest Charlies

Place a call to ascertain if these fellows are still associated with Honest Charlies and if so/not ask who is the President and write them a letter. Putting it in writing demands an answer back in writing. Should settle the issue. I'm sure that this Board would like to see both letters posted as attachments and the end result. I've never done business with this organization, but would sure like to see what their actions are and their policies.

2. drflex

drflex

what he said^^^^ they should have notified you of the missprint offered to refund your money and/or offered you the parts at a resonable discount before sending you any parts.

3. 73RR

73RR

The fact remains that it is their advertisement, their web site, their employees creating and monitoring the site, and they put the price in the ad. Yes, the customer has some obligation to question something that seems "too good to be true" but failure on the company's part to not offer a 100% refund is intolerable.

4. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

I did notice soon after I made the order I had a an email from Coker Tire in my inbox, so I assumed one owned the other.
    Also just talked with Mike Goodman and he asked that I give him some time to figure it out. Both gentlemen I talked to from HC were super polite and definitly have that southern hospitality to them. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks again for the help and advice.

5. whid

whid

was going to suggest you speak with Mike Goodman..had the pleasure of meeting him a few years ago.Probly one of the nicest people I've ever met...I wouldnt expect to recieve that kit with shocks and mounts for $18.99....but feel Alot of the confusion is on them...You shouldnt be out anything on this one.......dave

6. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

I would have to agree with this statement, The add clearly states brackets and shocks.

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Why would you think you were getting all that for less than $20 ? You should have know something was wrong . All they would have to say , it was a miss print ! I remember when , if there was a miss print or not , whatever the price was advertised for , you got it for that price !

Now all these damn companies get away with everything and " Screw the Customer " is their new policy ! They should refund you for everything including the shipping .

Retro Jim

8. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

go to facebook & do a search for "corkey coker" - he's the man - only thing i see is you didn't get the shock mounts! have them send out the shock mounts - corkey is alright

9. At the very least,write a letter to the Better Business Bureau of Chattanooga if they won't make you whole again.This is an example of really poor business practice and customer relations.They will loose a lot more money than they will make off of you by this exposure.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  10. If you used a credit card call them about what happened. They can reverse the full amount then you can tell charlie to send a prepaid return shipping label to get their nuts back.

11. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

This is "Not Your Fathers Honest Charley".
    I bought stuff from "Honest hisself'" in the 60's and he appreciated the business.Had a hand written catalog!
    A month ago I called to request a Flathead catalog that they
    offered in a Hot Rod magazine.
    They sent me a Flathead catalog with a lot of stuff shown in it
    but not one single price was shown on anything offered there!?
    Maybe they could send some of what they are smokin' .

12. 69fury

69fury

i'll even allow that a fella could be expected to say "hey, that's a stupid low price-something must be wrong"- BUT I would still expect them to refund the shipping on THEIR "honest" mistake.

You dont make the customer pay for your mistakes.

-rick

13. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Dude I bet they spent maybe 5 bucks to ship those bolts. The website is not very honest, heh.

14. Whoever made the decision to send some bolts and think you wouldn't notice made a very poor decision. They, plain and simple, need to make this right. Even if it is at a loss, it represents the company name and reputation.

I would have a serious talk with the dude that sent the bolts. He obviously knew that it was a mistake and should have contacted you then.

15. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

they are a good company that just F'd up with the price listing..and they learned about it the hard way. They should just give you everything pictured and advertised for that $18.99 price and be done with it....and should chalk it up as a lesson learned...proof read your prices.

Admitting they screwed up and sending you a pair of shocks and mounts won't break the bank when they are getting 3 grand for a frame.

16. Old Bill

Old Bill
    from Troy IL

Hope this gets resolved, my contact and dealing with Mike Goodman although brief, would lead me to believe a happy ending is in sight. Good luck!

17. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

Are they nice bolts?

18. Racewriter

Racewriter

Good fuckin' grief.

Look, speaking as someone who also has an e-store selling high performance parts, I can tell you that it is a LOT of work putting sites together, with a lot of hand keying. Mistakes happen. Did you really think you were going to get 2 brand new chrome shocks, 2 brackets, and the hardware for 19 bucks?

YOU thought you were fucking THEM. Be honest. If you weren't trying to get one over on them, you'd have called and asked, as any reasonable thinking person would have.

Speaking personally, I will go to great lengths to take care of a customer that is dealing with me in good faith (and if they're not, I truly don't give a shit about them). Do outfits try to make money on shipping charges? (Big revelation coming here) YES. They do. Being in business means making a profit, and sometimes you have to make it where you can. I'll still buy from Honest Charley's and/or Coker Tire.

19. People make mistakes.

You shouldn't be expecting a $145.95 shock kit for $18.99 any more than they should be expecting you to eat the shipping on the return.

JH

20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This is exactly right.

21. I would at minimum refund all money and say keep the bolts. and sorry for the trouble!

22. caletcb

caletcb
    from alabama

i ordered some cruiser skirts from big jims and they were all jacked up. the brackets were on the wrong side and the fiberglass work was terrible. i had to pay my guy 3 hrs to fix them. before i repaired them i called big jims and wanted to send them back. they said they wouldnt pay shipping and would charge me a restocking fee. i told them it wasnt my fault they were so shitty. the guy there said and i quote" i may have been drunk when i made those". so i havent ever come out when i tried to return something.

23. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im not trying to hijack your thread or anything but speedway is offering a t shirt if you spend 25 or more .But you have to do a rating on there product So I order some parts .Then I get the survey and it says I have to order 25 dollars worth of parts .Just another screw up by another company .You guys have worked for these people before ,If it makes no sense its right and when it makes sense it s wrong. Im not ordering another 25 worth of parts .So I feel for you dude and I hope at least they send you the frame brackets ,I would of thought like you did without shocks.

24. all i can say if those parts were ordered on a site called "AMAZON.COM" and you left negative feedback they would bend over backwards to get you to retract your feedback. this happened to me 2 times and for those of you that purchase products according to "feedback" beware as some of it is "purchased" honest charleys should refund you 100% including shipping.

25. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I agree with you...Honest Charley's staff are super friendly & easy to work with..Everytime I make it back home I make it a point to stop in & have a look around. They have helped me out several times & even corrected me before when i started to order the wrong part..they always made sure I was getting what I needed. I will never hesitate to buy from them. And the customer service at coker tire is just as good..I had an issue with a tire i ordered from them..took the tire & rim to them & they gave me a new tire & mounted & balanced it for free. I love that shop. They made a mistake..big deal..everyone screws up every now & again. Im sure they will do the right thing..thats just the way they are.

26. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

Ok, I have an update. Talked to Mike Goodman last night and he decided to send me everything I didnt have. He even sent a letter in response to mine. I'll include a copy. So far everyone that I've heard talk about Mike has had nothing but nice things to say about him as do I. He not only wanted to do the right thing but he wanted to exceed my expectations. I'll let you know when I get the kit.

So here's TTT for a company that has exceeded mine.
    (Letter below)

David, Honestly i enjoyed reading your HAM postings. As hard as we try it's just darn near impossible for us (or any company) to get it "right" every time. But, even when we miss the mark, so to speak, it's important to me that we always treat our friends and customers the same way we'd want to be treated.

I appreciate you for phone'n me. I could tell by your easy manner that you were only interested in the both of us doing what's right. That's also important to me and to us.

I think this episode could make another good Honest Charley storey. You honored us with your purchase and although we had a huge price error in our ad we still did our best to "make it right" and meet or exceed your expectations.

With that in mind we'll quickly ship to you, without additional cost, the remainder of the front shock kit that you expected as it was represented on our web site.

We certainly can't resolve every typo or error that we may make in this manner, but this seems to me the proper path this time around.

Besides, handling it this way makes me feel good, and that's the way i want to end my day. I hope this will be satisfactoy with you also.

My best regards, Mike Goodman

President, Honest Charley Speed Shop and Hot Rodder, probably just like you.

--------------------------
    Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

----- Original Message -----
    To: Mike Goodman
    Sent: Mon Sep 13 17:13:42 2010
    Subject: Parts Order

Hey Mike,

First of all everyone I&#8217;ve talked to there has been polite, thanks for that. I just kind of wanted to send you an over view of what happened.

Here&#8217;s what I ordered:

So Bolt On Shock Kit

-Upper Brackets bolt to frame

-Lower mounts bot to spring

-Features Pete & Jakes Rod Shocks

$18.95

So I add this to my cart expecting the above, and Friday I got the 2 bolts, 4 washers, and 2 nuts, the add above doesn&#8217;t even mention that the hardware is included. : )

I talked to a gentleman earlier this morning and again he was super nice and asked me to give him some time to talk to management. He calls back and says he can give me store credit for the $18.95 or refund me if I ship it back. I ask if he can refund the shipping and he says &#8220;no only the cost of the parts.&#8221; So he asked me to give him a day to research it. He apologized and said you guys updated the price on your site. $145.95

http://www.honestcharley.com/hot-rod-parts/28-31-model-a-ford/shock-mount-kit-28-32.html

Meanwhile I logged onto the HAMB (which I do every day) and decide to ask for some help/advice/input, and here&#8217;s what they had to say:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511835&page=2

I heard the name Honest Charley before from an old hot rodder but I thought it had been long gone. Then I saw the story of Honest Charley on tv about how they made things affordable and kept hot rodding honest. So I didn&#8217;t think I could go wrong. To me it seemed like the original hot rod part provider. Once I found out they were still around I thought cool I&#8217;m buying from an original hot rod company.

So there are a couple of things:

1. Am I ignorant for assuming I could get this complete kit for $18.99?

2. Was it just an honest mistake that I should understand?

3. Is advertising something a company should be 100% responsible for and warrant?

I&#8217;m not sure what the answer is, but one things certain. I save a couple hundred bucks out of my check to buy parts for my project, so I can drive it one day with my dad, and that&#8217;s what hot roddin&#8217; is, enjoying cars with your dad.

Thanks Mike!

David Bunger

27. Glad they are taking care of you, I figured they would in the end. If they make it right, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

makes a person wonder what the reaction would be if this was not posted here on the HAMB.

29. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Congrats on screwing over some great guys. They don't have to honor price mistakes, but you successfully extorted the rest of the kit from them through the hamb and your post.

Hope that comes back to you tenfold.

18.95 for shocks and mounts? You were trying to get over and don't pretend you weren't.

The hamb is great for honest complaints, but this one was someone trying to ripoff a good company and used the hamb to do it.
    Sickening.

30. Bigjake

Bigjake

Looking at the original ad it's obviously a mistake on the price as the add does show the shocks, brackets, and hardware for 18$, thats too good to be true and you knew it when you ordered them. I'm glad it worked out as it did and it says alot about Honest Charlie that they gave you the entire kit for 18$. That's pretty rare in businesses most would have told you tough shit.