Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Things that go bump in the night"! Shop horror...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Sep 12, 2010.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Friday as I was cleaning up the roadster for the Nats North, I heard what I thought was a car crashing in front of our house. :eek: My wife and I both hollered to each other, simultaneously, "What was that?!"

No car crash, it turns out the crash was in the shop. The Diamond T, on jackstands on the rear axle, with the floor jack under the center of the rear axle, front wheels setting on two 14" tall stands made from disks blades and pipe, fell off the stands. :eek::eek::eek:

The left front (junk) tire has a slow leak. Evidently it finally leaked down enough to throw weight off the front disk, which scooted out from under the tire. When that happened, the right followed suit, the truck rolled backwards, off the stands under the rear axle, which dropped down onto the (locked) floor jack which was about an inch away from the center section. Stands tipped over, floor jack rolled back, keeping the truck up off the fenders and running boards.

The crashing noises were the stainless grill halves, which had been on the roof, falling down onto the cowl, the engine, then the front fenders, before sliding down onto the floor.

Squashed a big Tupperware bin with misc. small parts I'd slid under the chassis, but otherwise, no damage to anything. No scratches, no dents, no nothing, just a lesson learned. It's been setting like that, with me working under it feeling safe, for two weeks. Yikes.

From now on, I'm blocking with stacked 4x4's, making sure the wheel stands are CENTERED under the tires, and being thankful it turned out the way it did.

Whew...

2. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Sounds like you got lucky, post some pics so others can learn as well.

3. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Had an old timer tell me when I was a kid, never get under a jacked up car without a backup, plan for the jack or first support. He said, "thats advice to live by". Luckily thats one of the few things I picked up as a kid. That was awhile back!

4. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Wow! Lucky! I don't quite follow how the front was held up (hard to picture based on your description). I'm sure you have it secure now, but can't you just put stands under the frame in the front? That way there's no way it can go anywhere?

5. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Glad you weren't the tupperware...Lesson learned?:eek:

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And DON'T ever use those !#&*% sheet metal stands. EVER!

7. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

pics would help immensely so we know what to avoid! glad everything is ok

8. Squablow

Squablow

I've never heard of any type of jack stands that go under the tire. Seems like a recipe for disaster. Got any pics of this setup?

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

I was under the '63 Dodge just now...friends call me paranoid, I call me prepared...I had 1 jack stand holding the corner of the car up that I was working on, wheels blocked, another jack stand next to the other one set one notch lower, floor jack snug up against the engine crossmember and a small scissor jack within my reach under the car just in case...I'm not dead yet...

10. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Glad you were not under it... that could have made a real mess then.
    racinman Rick

11. 62rebel

62rebel

i use my engine hoist to lift the car, then put the stands underneath, lower the car enough to take some of the weight, but still have it supported by the hoist... the hoist is mainly to keep my movements UNDER the car, from causing the car to move and rock on the stands...
    i shove spare wheels with tires mounted under the floor where i'm not working as a third measure... i HATE getting under a car anyway.

i've had parts cars that i've been dismantling fall off stands in the middle of the night... i blame fat opposums looking for a place to bed down!

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Here are some pics of my little shop of horrors. Went to the Nats on Friday, worked Sat., spent yesterday nursing a back spasm picking up our dog who'd been hit by a car and can't walk up stairs, so I'm late.

The first is the truck setting on the wheels in front, jack stands under the rear, the second is one of the stands which had been under the front wheels. There's enough "dish" to the disks that the tires won't roll off them, but when the left front went flat, it wasn't quite in the middle, and just settled off the disk, causing the whole thing to come crashing down. If it'd been up on all 4 of them, as I usually use them, it wouldn't have rolled off. The jack stands under the rear were the conventional ones with cast legs and jack post. The truck rolled right off them and fell onto the floor jack, which fortunately, was in the locked position just under the pig.

Lesson learned.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  13. Man, you couldn't pay me to get under a car sitting on those wheel stand contraptions! Holy cow!

Consider yourself lucky, and go out and buy a decent pair of stands!

14. SWANKEY1

SWANKEY1
    from Venice ca

I,am no mechnic of a jack stand engineer , but aren't tires meant to roll on flat surfaces ?

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL, yes they are! The disk blades aren't flat at all, but are concave with about a 3" dish from edge to center, so to roll, the tire(s) have to roll uphill sharply. Gravity being what it is, the tires want to roll to the center, not uphill off the edge, unless, as in this instance, the tire in question went slowly flat, and being not under the middle, and only on the two in the front, down she came.

16. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Stupid Gravity!

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

^^there is no Gravity..the earth sucks

18. Mattilac

Mattilac

Its like when I'm working on my truck and the door is propped open. A gust of wind or something slams the door shut. I jump, usually smashing my head against something.

19. plan9

plan9

that disc thing you have is NOT a good idea.

20. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Them disc things look like an invitation to a disaster.
    Might as well set her on beer cans.

21. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I second that! It doesn't look safe to me.

22. James Curl

James Curl

The disc things come from a plow and are very thick and about 24" in diameter with an eight inch diameter pipe welded between them. I have a friend who uses them all of the time and has never had any problem with them. He has a 32 Plymouth up on them at this time. I do not see any thing dangerous about them just holding the car up on its wheels. Any time I put a car up in the air I rock it as hard as I can to make sure it doesn't fall. I would never get under a car with just a floor jack holding it up. Back in the old days we used to use old Ford rear end housings with the wheel end cut and notched to fit the front and rear axle of an old Ford to hold the cars up to replace the transmission, the whole thing rocked when you jiggled the input shaft into place, now that was dangerous but I was young.

23. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Yousa kinda crazy. What else you got going on that is gonna cause you pain?

24. millersgarage

millersgarage

SO, no problem with the car you took to the show, but still a car problem at showtime........

you've got some karma issues (or is it carma?)

25. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

you live dangerously my friend!!

these on a frame cannot be beat

[​IMG]

26. millersgarage

millersgarage

and those wheels aren't traditional

:D

27. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

That's life on the edge there!!

28. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

What he said, and remember - your truck weighs about 100 million pounds, so buy the heavy ones.

29. fourforeverfours

fourforeverfours
    from CA

Another pair of good jack stands. They make those things for a reason. I had a young fellow working on his vehicle next door on the driveway. It was blocked up with 4x4's and other dimensions and looked tippie. Couldn't stand to watch so I went in my garage and pulled out my hd jack stands and told him to return them when he was done. He wasn't going to do his family any good squashed under his vehicle.

I know we all have done it, it just doesn't make it the right thing to do. Jack stands just don't cost that much. If you can spend money on tools you can afford two or more pair of quality jack stands. Momma won't chide you for that one.

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's a big ass truck. I got a big ass truck (motorhome) I really don't have to lift it to get underneath to work on things, but if I have to remove a wheel or something I got jacks and multiple jackstands as well as putting the tire under it that I just removed. I do all that even though I am not going to be underneath, just doing brakes or something on the outside. if for some reason I ever needed to work on it with no wheels on the ground I'd find something made for big rigs or dump trucks or something. no way I'd be underneath it with something like that