Register now to get rid of these ads!

Honest Charley Order

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cWaInc, Sep 13, 2010.

1. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

I ordered this kit 2 weeks ago and it showed up on my front door Friday. 18.99 + 10.00 shipping. Do you think this product description is misleading?

In the box were 2 bolts, 4 washers, and 2 nuts. $28.99!!!!

Now I realize 18.99 for the kit pictured is extremely low but, sometimes there's overstock and maybe I was a little eager to get the parts, etc.

What do you think I should've recieved, considering the picture and product description? And how should I handle it?

http://www.honestcharley.com/hot-rod-parts/28-31-model-a-ford/shock-mount-kit-28-32.html

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Seems unclear to me, but yes, would seem way too cheap for what is pictured. I would have called and asked first. So now, just call back and tell them your side and see if you can work something out.

Also, $10 shipping on a $19 order seems kind of lame as well, especially for a couple of bolts you could have just bought at the local hardware store for $3-4 tops for grade 8 or stainless.

3. Slapnuts1975

Slapnuts1975
    from Tennessee

Price on the link you listed is 145 and some change. Maybe I'm missing something. I can throw a rock and hit honest charlies if you have a part # and want me to see what comes in the kit they have there.

4. bobscogin

bobscogin

5. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

I called them, and the manager agreed that it is misleading and that they'll change the description. He says "obviously I cant sell you the kit with the shocks, so I can refund you." I asked if they would refund the shipping charges and he said "no, just the price of the part" ($18.99)

So I would be shipping it back for $10, after already paying $10 to get it.

Does anyone have a contact there?

6. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

LOL at how quickly they changed the price on my link! Good thing I got a screen shot. Here you go.

[​IMG]

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

hmm, you are right. But, I could have sworn when I looked at it just a few minutes ago it said $18.99 for that as the op stated. Maybe they corrected it already?

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

that is a bit misleading if that is what you ordered. looks like you did the proofreading for them.

question, would you TRUST a mount kit that was $18.99?

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Unfortunately, shipping charges have gotten out of hand. UPS is hurting so bad that they are asking for a bailout. Only way around this is to purchase from suppliers with free shipping.

10. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

i would fight for what you paid for and right there is the proof with this copy and past of the original ad. looks like fraud to me. i had a guy on ebay try that crap on me i told him i had talked to the post master and he said that it was a good case for mail fraud since i paid with a post office money order and mailed it to him. he panicked and paid me back every thing plus the shipping to get the parts back to him. i would get a hold of the head honcho there and fight for your item

11. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

I would, if they were "Pete & Jakes" as mentioned.
    I know sometimes new stock comes in and companies clearance out old stock. I shouldnt have to decipher their add.
    How much accountability should they have for what they've posted? I've heard great stories about companies stepping up and taking accountability. I guess I dont want to cross the line and be a dick either ya know?

12. Troyz

Troyz

I think it was just an "honest" mistake. They should have refunded 1/2 to you just to keep you happy and shopping with them. Charley shot himself in the foot on this one.

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Seems more like "Dishonest Charley". They should have at least given you a full "credit" for what you had to pay including shipping.

14. Fenders

Fenders

Obviously mistake -- but their mistake and they should refund you shipping BOTH ways.
    (And add a proofreading commission !!!)

15. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Business makes honest mistake, expects customer to eat exorbitant shipping charges plus return shipping. Absolutely unacceptable and we need to see this one through to a reasonable resolution.

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I have recieved a lot of parts thru the mail and one thing is certain, the shipping cost is not refunded on returns, only the cost of the product itself is refunded. And I guess it's Dishonest Charley now.

17. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

they SHOULD have sold you the kit for the advertised price. But then they will point you to some disclaimer that reads they "are not responsible for errors in website content"

At the very least they should have credited you for the whole order and let you keep the parts.

18. What a bunch of shit. They're getting a lot of bad exposure now over ten bucks, 150 hot rodders have seen this so far. We should forward this to them.

19. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

A quality supplier would have refunded your whole order and shipping, and told you to keep what you got. While it isn't worth it for them to issue a call tag, pay return shipping ,and pay someone to process a return, its a pretty simple matter to refund an amount that small, hoping for future business. I used to do it all the time, when I worked for a large musclecar supplier in Braselton (then Tucker), GA.
    I haven't bought anything from Honest Charlie's since high school, and now? I probably won't.

20. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

i WOULD ASK THEM WHERE MY SHOCKS AND BRACKETS ARE.

21. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

Well I'm glad I brought this up to you folks. I was hesitant to put up a fight. But you'd think they'd go out of their way to uphold the name... And that was and excellent point about 150 hotrodders seeing this already.

22. So let me get this straight, everything but the shocks were supposed to be in the kit and all you got were the fastners? Must be a misunderstanding on thier part as that seems cheap for the kit, it obviuosly reads that way. Lets get there take on this as I can not believe this, Honest Charlie Inc??

23. 69fury

69fury

huh, i just came into a bit of dough, and need parts. Guess i know which supplier to avoid.......

rick

24. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Did anybody else notice the different part numbers -- The $144 kit (according to the link) is HC-8741062, and the $18.95 kit is HC-8741062 FP. Did you really think you were getting shocks and all for less than 20 bucks? Or are you mad that you had to pay $30 incl shipping for four bolts and nuts that could have come from a local hardware store? I admit that confusion reigns supreme...
    Fearless

25. Weasel

Weasel

It constantly amazes me that companies still expect good faith buyers to pay the shipping one way or both ways when they screw up. So you ship the stuff back and you are out $20.00+ because they made a mistake???:confused:

Did you pay with a credit card? I always pay with a credit card and if there's a problem I let the supplier fight the credit card company.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  26. I can see that it was a mistake, but Honest Charlies should do something to make it right!

27. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

I have bought parts from honest charleys and never had a problem, allways got what i ordered and got it fast. They are the nicest guys to talk to on the phone and at the swap meets and will continue to buy from them. They are allways willing to go out of there way to help me and other hotrodders on there builds. So dont avoid honest charleys or count them off, this seems to be a website mistake that happens all the time to thousands of websites every day. I am sure that this will be made right quickly.

28. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

To me it read that I would have that entire kit pictured. They described everything in the picture and put the price right at the bottom $18.99. I read the bottom part to be an upgrade for chrome. I wasnt sure if it was going to be the entire kit for one side, or everything minus the shocks, but definitely not just 2 bolts, 4 washers, and 2 nuts.
    The price isnt the point. I ordered what says to be a "shock kit" not a "bolt kit" for $18.99. I had the site saved in my favorites to buy that kit once I was ready, so I can tell you its been like that for months.

29. $20 or $30 store credit at least is owed by Honest Charlie to keep up the name.

30. Truckedup

Truckedup

On July 22 2010 UPS said their profits were up nearly 90 percent.Apparantly they made up their "hurting" by fucking Honest Charlie customers