Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Jim Busby Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Thanks Ryan! what a great site! Love the Khougaz T, I saw it at Pebble Beach.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Wow! Well, I guess I'll be spending this morning in front of the cpu! Thanks, Ryan.:cool:

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

5. rick finch

rick finch

You're welcome........;)

6. Jim is one of the nicest guy's you will ever meet. Down to earth and humble. I first met him back in the 1980's when I had a shop next door to his and ended up painting the trailer for his Semi when he was racing BMW's. A few years later his son got into Speedway Motorcycle racing and in typical Busby fashion, he jumped in with both feet and became a supplier of bikes and parts for Speedway. We bought out Carlisle Tires from him for our bikes and he treated us very fair. He lived a couple of blocks from us on Balboa Island on the waterfront and at Christmas he would have a beautifully restored Black Indian motorcycle in the living room "under" the Christmas tree - it was very cool! Still see him at the Donut Derelicts and most of the bigger shows. He also did some work on the Chuck Price Roadster for Richard Munz when Richard bought it after we finished the Build.

7. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Wow. Looks like I'm going to be late getting to the shop.

8. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

Jim is a great guy just as hotroddon has said. I went work for him in 1985, I think, to work on his IMSA GTP team with BF Goodrich Porche 962's. Coming from Michigan during a snow driving out to Laguna Beach Ca, was an awesome time for young kid at the time. He was a great gut to work for, and the shop about a mile from the beach. I saw him at the F1 race at Indy a few years back, and was just as nice as could be. I have seen a few of his hot rods on here and they are first class.

9. Busby = Laguna Canyons best keep Secret!

10. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

Yep. Jim is one hell of an interesting and nice guy, as are his family members and pit crew/ partners. He purchased the 32 Fordoor and the 32 phaeton on his site from me a few years ago and was great to deal with. He has an amazing history of achievements in all types of motorsports.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I think the HAMB effect might have brought it to a halt.

Attached Files:

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shit... If you are out there Jim... or Jim's web guy... Sorry.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I just reloaded the page and it indeed came up this time. So it's intermittent.

14. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I've met Jim a few times via Paul Gommi. Super nice guy and always has trick shit.... That's one hell of a blog for sure! I contributed to some of the overload this morning I'm sure!! :) A good read thru the morning coffee.

Thanks,

Robert M.

15. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Jim Busby has been in the car scene for since the 60s. I think the first car I saw of his was a twin engine front engine dragster and the engines were a pair of the original Ford 4 cam Indy motors! Jim also did a lot of sports car racing in the old IMSA (International Motor Sports Association) around 75 thru the 90s. I think the BMW 320i s that he raced were some of the neatest. 2 liter 4 valve engines with a big turbo and probably around 650 hp. They were fast but reliable like a nickel rocket. Jim once dropped out of a race because of a blown rear tire, it blew when the crank and rods came out of the engine and the car ran over them! Busby has always had his shop in Laguna and has had some of the very best fab and car guys working for him which is why his cars are always neat, trick and fast.

Rex

16. chicagoboy

chicagoboy
    from uk

Great timing! I just dug out the January 1959 copy of Hot Rod as part of my research to do a sculpture the 7000 roadster. Great to see the car in color. Fascinating website.