Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you guys think? selling a loved one for another

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Sep 11, 2010.

1. f&j, i dont think i would spend foolishly, i just cant afford some of the stuff i need to finish the car. and thats how i see the A, its a step ahead in my car endevours, BUT. the model A is the last car i want. its my holly grail, its the unicorn wimsickle creater that can never be cought. i dont see myself getting into any other cars, thats why hte choice is hard. when the A id done. i will probably be kickin my self and getting another one, i have my airloom from my grandpa, my daily, and my hot rod, i just dont know if i should give up my 'now' toy to make my 'then' toy now( if that makes sense =)

2. If you build the Model A as nice as the bug you will say "I'm sure glad i sold that bug." You said you've owned it for a short time take a lot of good pictures of it and move on.

3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'd try putting the bug on Ebay with a reserve at about $6500... If it doesn't sell take the $5500.

4. F&J

F&J

^^ well if that is all true, maybe you should keep the bug for now. Lots of things can be done on the A with no money...cleaning, painting, making small parts needed. Then, if you still can't find the money to finish the A, then maybe sell?

5. raidmagic

raidmagic

I'm not your mom but if you are out of work you shouldn't be worring about selling the bug to build the 29. Unless you are independanting wealthing you should be worring about how you are going to make your house and electric payments.
    Again not trying to tell you how to live, but you asked for opinions.

Good luck with whatever you do and personally I wouldn't sell the bug

6. i dont have house payments..yet. but yeah im not asking about that. i have a good girl, ill leave it at that.

yes f&j im thinking of that. altho i am past the cleaning and painting stage, i havnt decided if the A will be as nice as the bug (paint) because frankly the A body is so rough, i dont think it will ever be right. (its a sport coupe with a coupe roof).

pinstriper40-that was my asking price so im glad you think thats the ballpark to.

How much do you guys see this car needing to finish? as far as priceing? iv done good so far, i traded a 24 T body and a baja bug to get the A, and have since put around 2000 in it.

7. 61falcon

61falcon

i still have the first car i built. others have come and gone, the first ones a keeper!

8. haha i think you think the way i do falcon, iv always wanted my hands on an A tho. i actualy got the little shrimp to just mess with and to say i had one, maybe tinker a bit and sale it. one night i came home and ripped it apart in my backyard. i dont realy know why i did it. i still dont know what made me do it.

it ended up were it is now. odd how it happend. i just kept on and kept on.

9. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

While this is a site for "Traditional cars" I think most of us appreciate a nice o/t car like your bug! Hell I have an 86 911 parked next to my A's!

Also nice that no one has flamed you for bringing it up!!

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hooligan, we talked about this a couple of months ago, remember?! Still a cool bug, and I stuck the pictures you e-mailed me in one of my galleries to keep them. If you remember, I told you the only two cars I regret selling were my first car '35 Ford 5 window, and my first bug... I kept the fourth car I owned, '62 Falcon, because I loved it too much. It sure is nice to look out and know where it is, and be able to collect for and plot it's soon rebirth now that I'm in my late forties. If you don't HAVE to sell it, don't. scrimp, save, trade labor for parts, do what ever you have to. Continue on the A... Just don't dump the one that brung ya...

11. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

VW vs Vintage Ford.

Ford wins EVERY time.

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'll sell any car if the price is right and it gets me where I'm going on my next one.
    Pretty basic to me.

13. louvers i know! nice to see you in the thread!

and mike, yes im glad as well.i see alot of chopped bug trying to be something its not. my car however is what it is.its not a hot rod and i know that.

14. Svenny

Svenny

[QUOTE

yes f&j im thinking of that. altho i am past the cleaning and painting stage, i havnt decided if the A will be as nice as the bug (paint) because frankly the A body is so rough, i dont think it will ever be right. (its a sport coupe with a coupe roof).[/QUOTE]

Before you decide the body's too rough, check out Koolkemp's "rusty '47 Ford reserection" thread. If the "A" is your holy grail you shouldn't settle for rough, get it as nice as you can!

15. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

That Bug is wicked cool. If storage space/cost isn't an issue, I'd keep it. But if finishing the A right away can't be done without selling the Bug, then I would sell it.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Burn the bug while dancing nekkid around it.

17. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Its all up too you i just sold my 48 ply took the cash bought a Harley I love ridin and i love roddin now if girls were that easy you could keep your wife and girlfreind .

18. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

No, They only dont like bugs if they are like mine....

[​IMG]

But my opinion, keep the bug! That is a sick looking bug done just right! I love it!

19. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

Keep it. You said it yourself it has a special place in your heart and that it is your first car you built. You can save up 5k. You can't necessarily get it back after you sell it.

20. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I had a stock 73 bug, this car did nothing really bad to me, was a very clean little car that liked to run, they suck to drive in the winter, the all metric part is not cool, they are built like a jigsaw puzzle, hard to change one part with out taking off six. All in all I just could not get into the car, I could sell it to work on an old Ford fairly quick, I would get a title, I too got poked a bit when I sold it, you have to have just the right person want it.

21. mattlowe

mattlowe

keep it, keep it
    just like everyone said
    once its gone you will want it back!

good lookin VW !

22. low49bowtie

low49bowtie

Hey man thats a sweet ride and ive always been a Chevy/Ford guy Detroit iron baby! I had to sell my 49 chvy last year when i got out of work,it sucked!!! If you can help it DONT sell the Beetle. Every car ive ever sold i regreted it. Both cars are equaly cool in my opinion just two different styles.
    Two days ago i ran across a 63 beetle for dirt cheap, Im employed now and back on my feet so i snagged it. Ive always liked these cars but never had a chance to get one now i have one. Ill probaly go the route you did on styling 50's-60's paint and wheels scheme. Then ill turbo the engine so its not a dog...lol.
    Keep it!!!!!
    Matt

23. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

i have never regretted NOT selling a car, on the other hand i do regret pretty much every car i've ever sold (doesn't include cars i've bought to sell)

you got that far on your model A without selling it why sell now, if you have the room and aren't losing the house i'd never sell something i love again

24. sugarlou

sugarlou

I know I had to sell a Harley I built and owned for 10 years to get into the Hot Rod scene. I don't make enough money to do both so it came down to selling the HD. Do I miss it? Of course. Do I regret selling it? No. Will I build /own another again in the future? Most likely but the excitement of having a new project was worth the trade off for me. The HD had gone through dozens of styling changes and modifications and I was looking at re doing it AGAIN when I said this is getting silly. Also for me when the bike became reliable it was almost like "it's done...it doesn't need my attention anymore" and for me that kinda kills the excitement of owning it. If that makes any sense. So my advice...sell the bug, keep a tight grip on the funds and forge ahead into new territory.The build is the fun part and having the funds to see it through is mandatory.

25. Don't sell the bug!! Get a second Job!!!!

26. thanks for all the positive comments fellas,

antny- thats almost my case, im moving seen and its hard to find space for all the cars. (i may leave the bug at my familys house)

doc-your a sweeheart.

francisco-they are like that. but i worked in a vw shop for a while so they are nothing for me to work on.

seventhirteen- i have regreted one car i got rid of, but it was to get a much nicer truck so im happy over it.

sugarlou-now thats were im at, its pretty much done, i dont want to do anymore to it, so it sits alot of the time. unless i hear of a local show on a friday night i might cruise it to that.

27. i got an offer now of 6,900 for it. but its out of state.

28. low49bowtie

low49bowtie

I still would'nt sell it.
    Matt

29. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Seeing how the Model A is your 'Unicorn' I would imagine that you are not planning on getting rid of it anytime soon, that being the case there wouldn't be a huge rush to get it done and going, maybe a small sense of urgency but that is hardly the same thing.

That Bug on the other hand is the absolute tits, I would hold off on selling it because one never really knows what is going to happen. Perhaps work will find you and then you won't -have- to part with one to have the other.

That being said, you have to remember that you can't "have your cake and eat it"

30. orange52

orange52

That bug is sweet. If I ever get around to building one, that is pretty much what I have in mind. If you're going to sell the bug, don't be in a hurry to unload it. The right buyer with the right money will find you eventually. If the mean time, you still have a kick ass bug!