Register now to get rid of these ads!

best dolly for roof dents?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msinclair32, Sep 11, 2010.

1. msinclair32

msinclair32

i have a 39 ford pickup cab that has dents in the roof does anybody have suggestions on what is the best hammer and dolly for the job? this is my first dent removal job and i dont know much about it. thanks merle

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

hey merle,

A picture of the damaged area would be worth a thousand words, but any dolly who's working face closely matches the surface you're tryin to straighten is the short answer. Usually a bumping hammer with the largest face possible is your best bet for roof panel repair. A finishing spoon or a slapper would also be good tools to have as well.

Good luck,

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

3. msinclair32

msinclair32

Do spoons and slappers work the same as dolly and hammer?

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Um, somewhat! Think of a spoon as a dolly with a handle on it, additionaly, most spoons can be driven with a hammer or pryed with to remove damage where a dolly can't reach. A finishing spoon however, isn't for prying or being struck with a hammer like a heavy spoon is. The smooth face of a finishing spoon is lightly held on the ridge of a dent, probably like the ones on your roof, and struck with a hammer from behind. The slapper, or slapping iron or flipper, as they're sometimes known is like a bumping hammer with a much larger working surface. It spreads the force of its' blow over a larger area, and thus is less likely to stretch the area being struck. A slapper is a good bumping tool to use on a roof repair where the last thing you need is more stretched metal. Look for some of the posts by HAMB member MP&C over the last week or two. He shows how he made some spoons and a finishing spoon is pictured for comparison.

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'd use Hot Rod Barbie....
    Seriously, as hot as Barbie is, find a dolly that closely matches the shape of the roof. An inexpensive hammer/dolly set should work fine. Take your time and even practice on something else first if ya feel the need.

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Before you get the tools you need to know what they do and how to use them,there is some info on youtube also check out www.half.com for body work manuals I scored some for next to nothing used,it takes patience you can't hurry thru it or you could stretch the metal and make it worse.This is also an excellent site www.jefflilly.com click on Build Tips at the top and save in in your "Favorites" file.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  7. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

My youtube videos (see signature line below) parts 1 and 8-12 of Custom Metal Bodywork show a simple dent repair method, how to chose a hammer and dolly, and use a shrinking disc.

John