Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever weld the rear doors to make a 2 door shoebox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56KUSTOM, Sep 10, 2010.

1. A poor mans 2 door?

2. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Sounds like a good way to mess up a perfectly good four door car. Everytime I see this done it is very obvious that the car started life as a four door. The doors are too short to make it look good. I'd figure out a way to swap doors from a two door shoebox and then move the door pillar back.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Would be super easy to photoshop, just find a good clean pic of a 4 door and smudge out all of the door jambs and the rear handles.

The proportions are not going to be right, I think it'll look like shit. I'm all for converting 4 doors, but you gotta do it right, with the correct length front doors and relocation of the door pillars. Shoebox 2 door sedans already have a long roof and the quarter window vents don't help on the stock ones, the 4 door with the back door welded is going to be even worse.

4. bobscogin

bobscogin

No, a screwed up 4 door with non-functioning rear doors.

Bob

5. 31Hudson

31Hudson

I welded my rear doors shut because I didn't have the hardware to make them stay closed on their own. Still looks like a 4 door.

[​IMG]

6. Fenders

Fenders

Love the way the front fenders hug the tires... what's the car?

7. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

Go to Shoeboxford.com and look at the photos. There is one on there that someone did. It looks weird. To each is own.

8. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

Here ya go.....

[​IMG]

9. Terry

Terry

10. PM choptvan . He did his 54 Ford into a 2 door, I think...

11. 4 doors are cool look at shoebox chris's, maybe a 4 door chop?

[​IMG]

12. |Tom|

|Tom|

That is one fine auto-mobile!!

13. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

31 hudson?

14. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Original 4 Door :

[​IMG]

The rest of the story :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Seam :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. choptvan

choptvan

16. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

You can also consider just shaving the rear handles.

17. choptvan

choptvan

Why? To have thaat appearance that you have no rear doors? Seems fake like billet to me. No offence intended.

18. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Hey theres nothing wrong with havin a 4door car at all, especially now a days. Hell if it survived this long without getting scrapped or sent to the crusher its cool in my book.

good luck

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I agree ...

20. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

i think yours would of looked better if you would of just shaved the rear handles. kinda looks like you have midget doors.

21. DougHH

DougHH

22. choptvan

choptvan

Paint job? What paint job? It is only jambed. Overspray is what is on the car. Not the paint job she will have.

23. sbaker

sbaker

stick with 4 doors, 4 doors are cool in their own right plus they are rarely hot rodded, granted its kinda like hot rodding your moms ride but if you got kids its a built in excuse. A buddy of mine picked his 52 plymouth cambridge 4 door up for 800 and it runs like a top. Whats the point of messin it up? sure you could weld the rear doors shut, but it wont look like a two door, or you could try movin the b pillars back but thats a pain. I say either sell it and buy a 2 door or stay with the 4 doors.

24. DougHH

DougHH

yeah i wasnt dead serious when i said that. sometimes internet sarcasm fails. this is one of those occasions

25. choptvan

choptvan

I had that on another forum. No matter what faces you type into the sords, it still doesn't work....

26. 1320/150

1320/150

no... so it doesn't look like your collecting door handles... I personally don't like the look of the multiple handles,and don't think it looks fake like billet to fill them. I also don't like the idea of shaving them all so you have to find a way to get in when your poppers don't work when least convenient!!!

27. DougHH

DougHH

in my state here in aus, its illegal to shave the door handles without having a manual way to open the doors so to get around this i ran some cut down flat bar under the window and buck up outside between the window and the door and curved it over with an oxy to make a tab to push down that pops the bear claws. since i had to do this i had to install central locking since anyone could figure that out. since i did that i figured i might aswell make the central locking keyless entry. since i did that i didnt bother installing door poppers. problem solved ;) shave all 4 door handles. looks great

28. roddinron

roddinron

Honestly, in my opinion, 4 doors become LESS cool when guys just weld up the rear doors and do nothing else. You're not fooling anybody that knows anything about cars. I mean, what's the point? It's not the number of doors that hurts a 4 door, it's the shape and dimension of the roof, windows and front door. If you don't address those things, all you've done was take the one asset of owning a 4 door, namely the easy convenient access to the rear, and made it way less convenient/accessible than even a 2 door, and that's just lame.
    4 doors are accepted now, they even seem to have a kind of cult following, why mess up a car that has survived this long by trying to make it something it's not, unless you're going to do it right.

29. [​IMG]

This is a great looking project. It has a kinda european flair. Any newer pics coming?

On the original question of just welding the rear doors of a 4 door sedan closed, don't do it. It never has and never will look good or fool anyone into thinking it's a real 2 door.

30. I forgot to mention I want to chop it too.It'll look like A Fonze lob if I weld the doors and chop it .Anyone have pics of a 4 door shoe box chopped?I couldn't resist buying this car for $800 it's so solid but ultimately i want a real traditional tail dragger and don't the 4 door is gonna cut it since I have a severe lack of body work skills and can only ask so many favors.